Adam's Genealogy

Started by Private User on Friday, March 5, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-90 of 98 posts
3/21/2011 at 5:21 PM

Remy - that is probably one of the most intelligent and correct interpretation that I have ever viewed on these discussions. Good for you, you get it! I just wished everyone out there had educated themselves impartially as you have.

Private User
3/22/2011 at 11:52 AM

Remy, if you follow the Polynesians historic trees it takes you to their creators which was NOT Adam and Eve, but a whole different story and different first people.

This is why I love Genealogy. :)

12/15/2011 at 12:36 AM

If I have a DNA test done will it show everthing and every country that I am related to? Also will it start from day dot? As I am female would it be better if my brother does it or both of us.
Just to add my bit to the hysteria my family are now treating me like a loon as they feel it is impossible to be related to just about every royal of Europe, Egypt, Syria, Persia, Tunisia and large parts of Asia plus some very famous Jews. DNA test??????

12/15/2011 at 7:47 AM

i refuse to look at the relationship with Adam :) But this thread inspired me to look at King David who is supposedly my 42nd ggf through my non-Jewish side. Since I'm fairly sure that there are books written on how my Jewish side connects to K.D., this was a surprise.

King David / דוד המלך .

12/15/2011 at 8:13 PM

I just fond this discussion but am happy to have found it. I was adopted and just recently found my birth family, Ive tried to explain to my adoptive family the connection of my birth family and I to Adam and Eve and king David but they weren't having it, my birth family weren't all that surprised which to me was a surprise, I was actually a bit worried about telling them what I had found out about our ancestors.

12/16/2011 at 8:21 AM

What is the hesitation, we are all Children of Adam, hence the Hebrew word for "Man" is Adam and a person is generally referred to as "Ben Adam" literally Son of Man, there is no need to prove this, it is a basic fact.

12/19/2011 at 2:52 PM

Hi,
I was happy to find that Adam was my 143rd great grandfather. But suddenly it says...."can´t find the relationship". Has anyone else experienced the same? Likewise with all the other biblical relations..... :((
Does anyone know if there is an explanation?

12/19/2011 at 3:20 PM

Rebecca Runar Askevold,
this could mean one of [at least] two things:
1) the connection simply can't be FOUND. The system couldn't possibly hold all paths to everyone, all of the time. So finding such a long path can get very tricky... This can depend on how recently people have been viewing the parts of the tree between you.
2) the connection has been broken and/or removed somewhere along the line. While it has "quieted down" a lot, there are still a lot of changes going on in the historical tree. So connections can come and go.

12/19/2011 at 3:38 PM

Thank you, Shmuel-Aharon Kam ! :)

12/19/2011 at 6:02 PM

Pamela, your having a DNA test done will follow the female line back, that is, all the females in your line, you, your mother, her mother, etc.. Your brother having the DNA test will follow your father's line. Sometimes if you just look at the paths of relation in the various trees (in mine for sure, and I'm also sure about many others), you can see by dates they're not likely, and when personal information about historical individuals is included, some lines are just plain wrong.

12/20/2011 at 1:31 AM

Adam is still my 86th great grandfather. I have found the same thing with great grandparents a few generations removed and was told that the shortest path is always taken so maybe try another path. it is exasperating i know.

12/20/2011 at 1:33 AM

Hi Janice thanks for the reply. If my brother and I both take the test can we marry the results? Do you have any idea how far back it can go?

12/20/2011 at 8:17 AM

RE: Adam--The thing I find interesting is that supposedly the Prophet Muhammad of Islam is my 38th GG, and supposedly Muhammad is descended from Adam, but Geni can't find my relationship path to Adam. I haven't researched it yet, but just wonder where the path is broken.

RE: DNA testing--My wife bought me a Y-DNA (paternal line) and mtDNA (maternal line) kit through Genebase for my last birthday. I was also able to take that test information and upload it to Ancestry.com and 2 other free DNA sites. Honestly I haven't been terribly impressed...yet.

I have some exact matches on the Y-DNA (In other words, the test suggested that I was related to a couple of people on their database within 6 generations; no genetic mutations), but they don't seem to jive with what I know about my ancestry. These people originate from a different country, in fact (my paternal line is from Hungary, theirs' was from Spain and Italy). Looking into the DNA results further, I found out that even though there were no mutations in the DNA scores, that there was still only a 50% chance we were related. Hmmm...

I did get an email from a guy in Scotland that was a maternal match (mtDNA), but due to my lack of information on that branch (besides the fact that I know my 2nd great grandmother's parents were from Scotland), I've so far been unable to connect the dots as to how we're related.

Just my 2¢. I think if you don't already have a lot of ancestral info, then the DNA stuff might not give you a whole lot of answers. But I suppose that's just my experience, and maybe there have been some real success stories.

12/20/2011 at 8:21 AM

@Andrew. Some of the tribes that invaded the Spain, Portugal and Italy came out of Hungary--the Huns, etc. Look into that connect, Andrew.

12/20/2011 at 8:26 AM

Oh, and for "how far back it can go?" It goes as far back as 150,000 years depending on you0r genetic "haplogroup." But for example, my haplogroup originated 35,000 years ago, so it (only) goes back that far for me. And then the website will show you a fancy graphic of your ancestors' migration path. Mine was predictable (originating in Egypt, migrating through the Middle East, and then into Europe from the east). That is a very common path for most Europeans.

But it's important to remember that with Y-DNA, you will only get your paternal line (father's, father's, father, etc..) and maternal line (mother's, mother's, mother, etc...) and not your father's mother's line, or your mother's father's line. (Did you follow all that?) ;)

Also, they will not necessarily say, "This is the family you are from!" They will tell you if there are other matches on their database, and roughly how many generations in which you had a common ancestor. And then it is up to you to contact those people and see if you can figure out how you are related. It's definitely not an automatic process.

12/20/2011 at 8:33 AM

I understand Andrew. The Huns invaded around 300 AD, then the Moors (Muslim empire, North Africa) came 700 AD.

12/20/2011 at 8:36 AM

@ Kenneth—thanks for the idea, and yes, I have considered that.

I have my paternal ancestry going back more generations than they say we're related within, and there's no connection by surname (which, with paternal DNA you would expect). I also know that the history of my paternal line in the particular village they're from goes VERY far back (at least 15 generations or so).

So, unless there was some kind of adoption or infidelity, then it would seem I'm not related to these particular people within 6 generations. Maybe the DNA company is wrong about the number of generations? Who knows. But 6 generations ago, these people's earliest known paternal ancestors were living in Spain and Italy at the same time as I know my paternal ancestors were living in Hungary. So it's a mystery to me how we would be connected.

Let me know if this thinking is wrongheaded. :)

12/20/2011 at 10:23 AM

I think you're on track. But there is something we are not considering, yet. Need more brainstorming.

12/20/2011 at 10:53 AM

Thanks, Kenneth. True, who knows what could have happened. Any and many things are possible...

The only invasion I'm aware of my paternal line being involved with was a 16th Century Ottoman invasion (my ancestor's participation in which resulted in the granting of our nobility by Hungary, and my now-bastardized last name). :)

Honestly, I don't mean to discourage people from doing DNA testing. Maybe you'll find out something amazing. And the more people that do it, the more data there will be to learn form (like Geni!).

I think the science is still somewhat in it's infancy with regard to genealogy, and so I'm just warning people to be prepared to maybe not find out as much as they had hoped. And maybe people who participate now will get more information from it down the road. (I hope so!)

That being said, does anyone know if Geni has or is planning to have a DNA feature? Because I'd like to get as much mileage out of mine as possible! :D

12/20/2011 at 12:25 PM

I'm not sure concerning the DNA feature. I've asked the same question.

But, Andrew, I have another member in a similar position as you. So, he and I are working on it from different perspectives and angles TOGETHER. So find a couple more people--I call it the "collective brain."

5/21/2013 at 9:37 PM

Greetings to all my human family!!!
DNA doesn't provide all the answers but logic does
For all the doubters out there as an example, if you double the population every 100 years it would only take 33 generations or 3300 years to go from 2 persons to roughly 8.5 billion
Do the math 2,4,8,16 etc. The mortality rate only reduces the growth by a few percent each generation
It is estimated that the world population grew from 1 billion to 7 billion
from 1800-2011 Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_growth
so my numbers are generous
I challenge you to sit down and do the math
Don't believe everything scientists tell you
Remember also, that birth control is only quite modern in terms of history
While there is no finite mathematical equation there is simple logic

5/21/2013 at 11:24 PM

@Hubertus, I recommend this discussion for lovers of logic and statistics:

http://www.geni.com/discussions/104261

The size of the initial population doesn' tmatter. Death came to all of them. We're all the descendants of all of them.

Private User
5/22/2013 at 3:58 AM

You are not going to be able to prove Adan and Eve. There was a big gap between them and Noah., that there are no records .We are not going to be able to prove Jesus. No records of marriage or children and no body to do DNA on. As far as God goes. he never had a body. He's a spirit.No way can you legally connect us except the Bible and other religious books say so. I think this whole thing with profiles to them is a lot hog wash . I also don't think any knows where any of Jesus relatives are buried.

Private User
5/22/2013 at 4:01 AM

Population is important. It's part of history. Genealogy is history. Archaeology is history. It's all connected. We need all of it to get a total picture.

Private User
5/22/2013 at 4:11 AM

Remy, I agree. The Bible never said God didn't make other people besides Adam and Eve. There had to be other people for Adam and Eve and their children to marry or move in with. They didn't have marriage as we know it then. In other words after the apple incident, The children had to get together with someone else to continue human kind. When you finally get to Noah , there been a lot of begatten but with whom? No record. There had to be other people out there. God might have been throwing people out there all over the place. Remember ,when you get to Noah and the flood. Only his family is saved. Yet his sons go forth and populate the four cornors of the world. There is proof there was a flood just not the whole world as we know it. It was there world. It was a big flood but motthe whole world. Just was in the Biblical area of the world. Think about it people.

Private User
5/22/2013 at 4:16 AM

Oh, PS the Jews were not the only people out there and the Bible is a history so to speak of the Jewish and Christain religion.It doesn't Chronicles all the other groups of people out their. It mentions other people. The Jews didn't want to mix with them. Even the first Christians , under Peter wanted keep everything Jewish and not change things but Paul who had been to Greece and Cypress and other places wanted to included others and that's how we got Christianity as we know it today. I am sure the Koran, and I have never read it, mostly refers to the Muslim people.The same goes for any other group of people.

5/22/2013 at 5:08 AM

Hello,

There is also a parameter that we should not try to elude when we do genealogy researches: illegitimate kids (in or out of marriage). and no need "invasions" to make them born ... even if they can "help" ..

There are many statistical studies about this.
here is one short paper in French about France:

Les statistiques de la filiation en France, aux XIXe et XXe siècles

http://www.persee.fr/articleAsPDF/pop_0032-4663_1977_num_32_6_16655...

English readers will find identical article over the net ..

Since we don't have any DNA sample from K.D. or Adam, genealogical data showing these "people" (and many other) on our past lineage are only .. genealogical.

I've done, as my father, an Y-DNA test since I can't believe what "paper" genealogy let me discover (thank you Geni for that !!): I've now the genetic proof my father is my father (I never have any doubt about that, it was not the goal of the approach) and there are some "geographical" correlation between what shows these test (migration, matches) and what genealogy (Geni) can show .. but that didn't confirm anything...

Neither genealogy nor DNA test are for me proof of what reality is. They are (for me, I insist) a manifestation of a reality between many other ones..
I don't even know if this is a reality, as reality can change as fast as time (and gravity) goes and can take multiple shape depending each individual consciousness.. Even if these consciousness gather in some kind of a more collective perception of the reality, it'll keep its impermanent nature.

As I can't be in this universe without sharing a "reality" with the universe itself, I'm constrained to do some choices (apart what is imposed by my physical and biological constitution).

One of these choice is considering that the only fact I'm "sure" (as far human current knowledge of the universe can give genetic researches any accurate sense), is that "my" most far genetic male ancestor was living somewhere in east Africa 60.000 years ago... (his own male ancestor can have lived 250,000 to 550,000 years ago).
I don't know if only he have a name, what was his physical appearance, his dreams, his wills, .. but I've a lot of affection and respect for him..
(I think that if all people having this ancestor in his lineage have for him the same affection and respect, current world would be more fair and brotherly)

5/22/2013 at 5:28 AM

This is my paternal grandmother:
Cor van Rooij
This is one of her ancestors from 32 generations back c. 775:
http://www.geni.com/list?focus_id=6000000002447238331&group=anc...
Go to page 190 (in blue top right of page)
135 ancestors from my paternal grandmother back to Adam & Eve
Amazing!!!

5/22/2013 at 7:53 AM

Dear Eve Edith.

You wrote "....every human being who ever lived is related to Adam."

According to the Bible the son of Adam had a wife and children?
Who were her parents ?
Where did they come from?

Private User
5/22/2013 at 12:53 PM

Pekka , that was mu point. Had to be other people here. By the way Eve and Adam mean woman and man. Period. That's just the Bible's way of saying man and woman. All groups of people have a creation story. They are all very simular.One man , one woman, getting in trouble with the higher being and getting thrown out,
May be told differently , but it's the same story.

Showing 61-90 of 98 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion