Showing all 8 posts
Private User
3/27/2010 at 9:38 PM

I have unsubstantiated information that
Emeline Potter Lane (Manning) and
Pauline Potter Lane
are sisters.

Grandfather Potter
In the Spring of 1840, Emeline Potter, my good wife's only sister, came to live with us, from Phelps, Ontario County, New York. At that time, the two sisters, with their half-brother, William Wallace Potter, then living at Danville, N.Y. supposed themselves to be full orphans; their respective mothers having died when they were quite young, and their father, as was supposed, having been accidentally killed, while on a visit to Michigan, some years before. It seems, however, that instead of having been killed, as reported, he returned to another part of the State of New York (Kendall, Orleans County,) where he had meantime resided, without communicating with his children, or the good people with whom they were severally living. In the fall of 1840, he made us a brief visit, being again enroute to Michigan, where he had a brother living. He soon afterwards again returned to Kendall, where in the family of his life-long friend, Mr. William R. Bassett, he is still living hale and hearty, being at this writing (March 14th 1879) just 89 years of age --his full name being William DeWitt Potter, but known, far and near, in Orleans County, as "The General".

Private User
3/28/2010 at 8:11 AM

Yes Kristen, I discovered that yesterday after doing some research and updated the tree. Had to make sure who the mother of the kids was. Check out the tree to see the changes.

Private User
3/28/2010 at 11:46 AM

I don't see that Samuel Lane married Emeline Potter. But I don't know how to break that relationship.

Carrie Lane is daughter of Pauline or Paulina Potter Lane. I don't know about the rest of the siblings.

Private User
3/28/2010 at 4:04 PM

Samuel Lane

Here is Samuel's profile and if you go to the tree you will see that he is married to both sisters, 1st to Pauline whom he had his children with. Emeline had children with Levi Manning and married Samuel late in life.

Private User
3/28/2010 at 8:19 PM

Found it. Plus dates of both marriages. It's in the Autobiography section of "Fifty Years and Over of Akron and Summit County" that Samuel Lane wrote as well as a handwritten journal that's in my mother's possession. I borrowed a copy of the book through InterLibrary Loan a (long) while back to look at the Pitkin line in Akron. I should scan the photocopies I made and add them as pictures to Samuel Lane's photos. The title page and frontspiece are up there now.
Thanks for your clarification.

Private User
6/4/2010 at 10:46 PM

Hi Kristen, since the privacy changes went into effect a whole lot of "zombies" are showing up evey where because profiles are "living instead of deceased. I noticed a bunch of "zombies of yours in the Pitkin tree. Check to see if the profile says deceased as you look at the tree. If so they are ok. The ones that don't need to be changed.
Much appreciated!
Meg

Private User
6/5/2010 at 4:28 PM

That's why i'm getting messages that announce so-and-so's birthday when I'm sure they are deceased. Found some "zombies" on my Grandfather's generation on the Olsen branch, but the Pitkin side is much further removed. We tended to have dates of death for the closer Pitkins. Guess finding "zombies" will be somewhat of a "witch" hunt (pun intended).
Kirsten

Private User
6/5/2010 at 4:38 PM

All you have to do is click on deceased. You don't have to have dates. Just make 'm dead! : ) Thanks Kirsten!

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion