How to use the new merge request??

Started by Günther Kipp on Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Participants:

Showing all 27 posts
4/6/2010 at 6:16 AM

GENI have made a new possibility asking collaborators to merge, instead of the profilmanager.
now is the question shall we use this short cut, as far as I can see it means maybe quicker merge, but it also means fewer collaborators in the long run. Thus what to do.

Private User
4/6/2010 at 6:41 AM

I really hope people still try to get their own collaborators because I am already tired of resolving merge issues for others just because they find me in the list of collaborators and it is to easy just to send the request to me or post it in the merge issue discussion topics.

I have however asked Geni to to urgently implement a Cancel Request button for these merges we have requested earlier to be able to resend the request to someone more responsive. See: http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=62421#post-572921

Private User
4/6/2010 at 7:03 AM

It's really frustrating here, Bjorn. Many requests to merge profiles and collaborate go unanswered. But I keep trying, in the hope that the odd acceptance will clear up a few duplicate profiles. One really irritating thing I have found is people who update profiles by creating another for the same person instead of just updating the original one. Sigh!

4/6/2010 at 7:15 AM

I'm thrilled to get collaboration and merge requests. I'll do as many as I can! At least something is getting done! Maybe I'll get tired of it later but so far, so good!

4/6/2010 at 7:18 AM

Dear Björn:

What I know I have never (yet) sked you to merge or sent you any questions etc.? I have over 3.000 applies to merge and I am not sure what "merge" means realy? I use sometimes to write a message to someone I believe have similar related ancestors or relatives often more then one and often whole families that seem to be the same. I just wander why you turn to me and ask this? I feel like a big ?

Best regards & sincerely yours: Steve

Private User
4/6/2010 at 7:57 AM

Marsha, I wish everybody was like you! I too always accept requests to merge and/or collaborate. I rather suspect that quite a few people lose interest in working on their trees and disappear over the horizon, leaving those of us who remain with squillions of duplicate profiles to contend with. I find it difficult even to get some family members to merge. I really don't mind if they just accept the merge request without tidying up the merge issues and leave these for me to tidy up. :)

4/6/2010 at 7:59 AM

Steve ... "Merges" eliminate duplicate profiles.

4/6/2010 at 8:47 AM

Yes that was what i supposed it ment!

thanks both...

I am more interested in searching and collaborate if there are some people who ARE intersted to do so, if not just say so, like forexample Björn did now. Very well i think this is the end for me in this discussion.

Best regards: Steve

Private User
4/6/2010 at 11:46 AM

Do NOT send me singular merge requests for profiles I do not manage - post them in the proper threads, OR if I'm the only one who can actually do them, send a LIST of them in an email. Thank you.

4/6/2010 at 11:54 AM

Well I break what I promissed. I wonder(?) if this is a question for those who manage this site because I have now approximately now over 1000 more "merge" issues and that means 4500...????I do not understand anything?

It is not us who send them, it must be something in the geni system that makes it authomaticaly being sent to us????
And when one tries to go into one of them to see what it is all about, it says "it is to late" etc. and one new "merge" is popping up after the other. I have maybe opened 10-15 of all I have got since I started in january this year...

Sincerely yours: steve

Private User
4/6/2010 at 12:04 PM

Unfortunately I seem to be the first person in that drop-down list of collaborators. So far today I have received 65 merge requests on profiles I am not the manager of.

Noah Tutak - I really hope you consider my suggestion for a minor change as I asked for here: http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=62421#post-573041

Please put the primary manager in top of that menu!

4/6/2010 at 12:11 PM

Bjørn wrote:
I am already tired of resolving merge issues for others just because they find me.
I want to say Please don't misuse Bjørn for this simple issue. He solve so many complicated problems for us, It would be very frustrating if we "loose" him on such a simple matter. Thus send your request to anybody else than Bjørn if possible

Private User
4/6/2010 at 12:17 PM

Unlike someone else, names not mentioned but his last name starts with an H, it just takes me seconds to approve a merge as long as I don't have to check if the merge is correct, so that is not the problem.

What I want to get changed is not to be the default choice in that list just because I never log out of Geni. The primary manager should be listed first, and people should have to make an active choice of they want someone else to perform the merge.

Private User
4/6/2010 at 12:36 PM

Bjorn - you have not been first in any of my lists, you are actually usually at the bottom. It's good to know that the top names are the active folk though. Makes the choice a little easier.

I seem to be sending a lot of Ann Marie's to Noah, seems right to me.

I too would like a way to revisit my sent requests and resend them to an active merger.

4/6/2010 at 1:32 PM

Private User the managers are listed first already, before the common collaborators.

Private User
4/6/2010 at 2:46 PM

If so that must have changed later today.
None of the request I have sent so far had the manager as the first option.

The snapshot I linked to in the forum http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=62421#post-573041 shows clearly that the (only) manager was not the first option.

4/6/2010 at 2:52 PM

The only case where this doesn't happen is if you happen to collaborate with the manager. Are you collaborating with Castleman? If so, that would explain it. We are fixing this issue.

Private User
4/6/2010 at 3:24 PM

Think....
I would never have seen the request to merge window if he was a collaborator or the profile had a co-manager I was collaborating with ;-)

4/6/2010 at 4:51 PM

Private User good point! If you come across this again please send it to help (and don't request or complete the merge!) so we can look into this further.

4/6/2010 at 4:52 PM

I prefer the new singular merge request, go ahead and send them along.

4/6/2010 at 4:57 PM

for those of us working around here a lot,this should not be any problem.
becose we would like to colaborate with those people that have the profile`s in question.
so it is just to send the request,to the manager of "that" profile.
just to scrool,to the managers name show up.

and there by,not fil Bjørn or other peoples in boxes to the top.

and if we get in trouble some how,we fix that together in our topics.
:-)

4/7/2010 at 1:18 AM

[[6000000003820375913]
Good to hear!!
And should someone feel he gets every request please say - and we'll find another collaborator in the list!!

4/7/2010 at 1:19 AM

Martin Eriksen sorry i deleted a ]!!!

4/14/2010 at 4:46 AM

I just happened to read this email, but as I've said, since I am unable to break this fool Lee link, I am daily loaded with an excessive and uncalled for amount of Geni emails that do not apply to me, hence I read NONE of them. When Lees post me to merge, I don't have the ability as I am not (presently) linked with the Lees. I'm clueless as to how to go about breaking a link. Hence, I've got a pile of MERGE requests in my Geni Inbox that I have written them back and told them "sorry," but I, nor they, can do anything about it.

Private User
4/14/2010 at 5:48 PM

susan,
there are other people here that can help with that lee link you talk of breaking. could you post us an idea of your problem and maybe we can help you.

4/15/2010 at 1:12 PM

Kathleen, I have tons of ppl who have tried to find the connection. At this point there is no known connection and I'm certainly not going to maintain a connection which is not known or real. There are far more than just email issues with regards to the annoying connection because the home page feed on my Geni Home Page is inundated with discussion by Lee descendents. I not only can't find the updates on my own REAL family, it I do see and attempt to connect in many of these discussions, I receive a message that I do not have authorization to access the discussions.

If you can find a link- Rebecca Lee Nichols (maiden name, not married!), daughter of Isaac Nichols Jr. and wife Mary someone.... It was thought Mary's (if I am recalling correct maiden) might have been Lee but not certain.

Private User
4/16/2010 at 3:04 AM

i think susan you can change your settings on your home page to get immediate family stuff only.

Showing all 27 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion