Started by Mark NICHOLLS on Thursday, April 15, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• Mary
    Geni member
Showing all 1 post
4/15/2010 at 5:28 AM

Title: William and Mary Beatty (nee Gillies) / Nethery
Post by: rickyt02 on Sunday 17 July 05 23:44 BST (UK)
William and Mary migrated to Australia in 1858

William was born between 1799 and 1810 in Tyrone to parents William Beattie 1777 and Sarah Nethery 1781

Mary Gillies was born around 1815 to 1820

Their children William 1837, Aaron 1839, Jane 1840 - Donegal, Joseph 1843, John 1846, Sarah 1848, James 1850, Mary 1854, and Charles 1857 - all born Tyrone.

Title: Re: William and Mary Beatty (nee Gillies) / Nethery
Post by: loisb on Monday 12 September 05 14:20 BST (UK)
ricky02

My Great Grandfather was John Beattie, brother of your William.
John and Elizabeth migrated to Australia in 1848.
I have more information and look forward to hearing from you.

loisb

Post by: rickyt02 on Monday 12 September 05 15:04 BST (UK)
Hi Loisb

I have your John marrying Elizabeth Gillies in 1877 (7 children) and Jane Gleed in 1887 (3 children), John dying on 19 May 1923 in Kyneton.

William and Mary had 9 children (we have most of their birth and death years and childrens names), all migrated to Aust (on the Conway and the Africa) except 1, Mary who had measles and was not allowed to travel, she stayed in Ireland, d.1893 Castlefin.

We also have 1 photo of Mary Gillis, Jane Beattie and Jessie McDonald, her daughter Elsie and her daughter Thelma.

I look forward to any further details that you may have.

Ricky

Post by: loisb on Monday 12 September 05 15:55 BST (UK)
Hi Ricky,
No , my John married Elizabeth Moffitt in Omagh 1832.
John was born in 1804, he and Elizabeth came to Australia in 1848 with their four sons. They settled at Diggers Rest.
John died in 1899.

Will get more info for you

Lois

Post by: colibanqh on Thursday 03 September 09 04:46 BST (UK)
Hi Ricky,
I have just found this forum, you mentioned that you have a photo of Mary Gillis who was married to William Beattie i would like to compare photo's if i could
Their was three Gillis family members who came to Victoria Australia
Mary Gillis who married William Beattie
John Gillis who married Margaret Hawkes and live at Trentham
Sarah Gillis who married Andrew Beaty and lived at Toolern Vale

Brian

Post by: rickyt02 on Thursday 03 September 09 15:14 BST (UK)
Hi Brian,

Photos attached. It was taken about a year or so before Mary's death in 1908 so she would have been about 87.

A second photo has since come into my hands and is believed to be William and Mary Beattie.

We have very little details about Mary or her family so any information/photos would be greatfully received.

Ricky

Post by: colibanqh on Friday 04 September 09 00:26 BST (UK)
Hi Ricky
Thank you for the photos i will post the photo i have later tonight
The gillis family is from Raws Upper County Donegal aka The Raws
Aaron Gillis married Jane McCluney who is the parents of:
William Gillis married Eliza Jane Young
Mary Gillis married William Beattie came to Aust
Rev Charles Gillis married Jane Jackson
John Gillis married Margaret Hawkes came to Aust
Sarah Gillis married Andrew Beaty came to Aust
Jane Gillis never married
James Gillis never married
Joseph Gillis married Mary Crowe
Their are many connections between the Gillis and Beatty family's
William Beattie and Mary Gillis son John Beattie married his cousin Elizabeth Gillis the daughter of John Gillis and Margaret Hawkes
Margaret Hawkes we believe is the niece of Elizabeth Beaty nee Moffatt who is married to John Beaty the brother of William Beattie
Andrew Beaty is the son John Beaty Andrew went back to Ireland and married Sarah Gillis
Charles Beattie who was the butcher in Trentham married Sarah Gillis (his second marriage) the granddaughter of John Gillis and Margaret Hawkes

Brian

Post by: colibanqh on Friday 04 September 09 10:38 BST (UK)
Hi Ricky
Photo of Mary Gillis

Post by: rickyt02 on Saturday 05 September 09 07:55 BST (UK)
Hi Brian

Interestingly we had a portion of this photo - but believed it to be either Mary Gillies but more probably of Elizabeth Beaty (Moffitt) - wife of John Beaty

I've also attached another photo of what we believed were John and Elizabeth Beaty

Ricky

Post by: loisb on Saturday 05 September 09 15:12 BST (UK)
hi all
The photo's are of Elizabeth [ nee Moffitt ] and John Beaty my Great grandparents. There is no doubt of this, the original photo hung in the hall of my grandfathers home .
I believe the photo Ricky posted of the couple are William Beattie and Mary Gillis. You can see by the photo of the 5 generations that Mary was a petite small lady. Elizabeth on the other hand was a much larger lady.

loisb

Post by: colibanqh on Sunday 06 September 09 07:03 BST (UK)
Hi Loisb
I alway suspected that the photo was of Elizabeth Beaty, so the original hung at "pinewood" Diggers Rest, a cousin found some photos at "glencoe" Toolern Vale and i'am hoping to fly over soon to look at them.
Brian

Post by: loisb on Sunday 06 September 09 15:50 BST (UK)
Hi Brian,
Yes it was at "Pinewood", my cousin has one also my elder brother.
There was also one at "Glencoe" near the fireplace in the lounge. Don't know what happened to it when the place was sold, I expect Ken may still have it.
We may be able to help each other with information.

Loisb

Post by: colibanqh on Monday 07 September 09 00:21 BST (UK)
Hi Loisb
So "Glencoe" is sold l remember going there when i was about 16 Billy, George and Hughe Wilson had it, Billy was 80 and still breaking in horses and milking 100 cows by hand. Hughe always came for Xmas lunch at my grandparents place William and Ethel Gillis at Kyneton,
any information on the Beaty's would be great
After John Beaty snr died John, William and Andrew had a fight in the courts over the will
Brian

Post by: ranga1230 on Monday 15 February 10 21:09 GMT (UK)
Hi Brian,
Aonother member of this family has joined in with information. I also had holidays at Glencoe with my farther, keith james beaty my mother and 2 sisters.I also remember the photo over fireplace at glencoe. My middle name is nethery and always asked my farther why he did that to me, he told me it was a family surname. Years ago the Beatty, Beaty,Beattie clan had a big family reunion at gisbourne, I went along with my Aunt, Jean (beaty) Wamsteker and cousin Robyn Beaty and her mother Dorothy. That weekend we also went to glencoe to see Ken. Property is sold, Ken living in house in Toolern vale. Did marry and cousin robyn does not know where contents of house went.we went to glencoe after christmas every year for a few years.taught to ride by george i also have photos of our times at glencoe. my farther and his cousins were very close. margaretb

Post by: colibanqh on Thursday 25 February 10 23:02 GMT (UK)
Hi Margaret,
Good to hear from you, i checked out the real estate on Glencoe there was photos of the lounge room in which you could see in the back ground the photo of Elizabeth Beaty.
So you father is Keith is Lois you sister ? or have l got it wrong.
The Beaty, Beatty & Beattie can be quite confusing
i have a newspaper death notice of a Nethery passing away at "Pinewood"
Brian

Post by: ranga1230 on Sunday 28 February 10 22:23 GMT (UK)
Hi Brian,

No Louis is not my sister,but is a relative. My fathers family, Kenneth Beaty,father of Robyn, first cousin still living at melton, Robyn very interested in family and i have sent her all information from this site.I have series of photos of family group taken at glencoe with my father and his family,Bill, George and Hughie and other members of family, the Pinewood Beatys I think.Louis is one of them I think.The family tree given to us at reunion has the wilsons family patriach as andrew who married sarah gillis whose children were george elizabeth and sarah. elizabeth married william wilson.our connection is william who married elizabeth nethery, whose children, william,according to this family tree is my great grandfarther, son, william james beaty married ruth miscamble at monegetta 20.2.1907. My father, keith james beaty, brother kenneth beaty and sister jean elizabeth beaty, still with us but not very well, aged approx 93, are their children.I have asked robyn to send me all family tree information of the four boys who came out from ireland.

Post by: colibanqh on Monday 01 March 10 01:24 GMT (UK)
Hi Margaret,
So William Beaty is you great grandfather he had the farm "Rocklands" at Sunbury. He and his brother Andrew returned to Ireland to marry, William to Elizabeth Nethery on the 1/5/1863 at the Drumquin Presbyterian Church in the Parish of Langfield Tyrone witness of the marriage John Young on the groom side and James Moffat on the bride side, Elizabeth list Carrickamulkin as her address.
Andrew to Sarah Gillis married at the Alt Presbyterian Church parish of Urney Donegal they where married by the brother of Sarah the Rev Charles Gillis of Mullarts County Antrim.
Have you heard of Margaret who can out with the Beaty's from Ireland in 1849 we believe that she is the niece of Elizabeth Beaty wife of John Beaty snr she married John Gillis of Trentham they are my Great Great Grandparents. John Gillis is the brother of Sarah Beaty nee Gillis
Brian

Post by: ranga1230 on Monday 01 March 10 22:54 GMT (UK)
Hi Brian,

The Harkness family also had a lot of memorabilia about the family, cuttings from newspapers etc. Their estate was left to neice, after family reunion I went to visit with them before I came home, he was very interesting to talk to, came often to Glencoe when we were visiting on holidays.Yes, my aunt talked about "Rocklands" and how severe Elizabeth was as a Grandmother,the photo I have of her does indicate that. I do remember that Glencoe had a great collection of china that would now be considered antique, but I think now disposed of.We also visited Farther's Aunt Maude Martin, who was a spinster, and enjoyed the visits.She had lots of paintings she had done and
each visit let us choose one. There was a sundial in the garden that always interested us and also a beautiful grandfather clock. When I visited the Harkness's they were in possession of the grandfather clock and the sundial.

Showing all 1 post

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion