• Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
Showing all 5 posts
Private User
4/20/2010 at 1:55 PM

The meaning of the surname HABER :
At first glance the Haber name looks like the German-Yiddish name for "oats"
Actually it is derived from the Hebrew "haber" (haver), an associate dayan (judge) of a rabbinic court.
---from p. 159 of "A Dictionary of Jewish Names and their History," by Benzion C. Kaganoff

Private User
5/23/2010 at 9:50 AM

Shalom Haver!
Gábor

5/24/2010 at 12:55 PM

All joking aside, there is theoretically the possibility that the origin of the name is that of the word "chaver", but it is not too plausible. Likewise we could consider a relation with the Spanish word "haber" (to have), or the German "haben" (to have) of even "Haber" (someone who owns things). My take on it is different, though. I know that there is the possibility (not fully researched as yet) that the family came through Eger (Erloy in Yiddish), which was a known centre of Jewish learning. So my hypothesis is that an ancestor may have been a very good teacher, a real "fountainhead" of knowledge, who then gained the moniker "ha be'er". Then his son was, let's say "... ben Shimon ha be'er", the next generation ".. ben ... ben Shimon Ha'Beer", and so on. Hmmm...?

Private User
5/27/2010 at 3:58 PM

The very authoritative BEIDER DJSG ( Avoteynu 2004) clearly indicates that HABER -- common in all of Galicia -- is an artificial name from Haber - Bavarian dialect of German meaning "oats".

The Kaganoff book is that of an amateur while Beider is the contemporary authority in Jewish names.

Private User
5/28/2010 at 12:20 PM

I like the Haber <=> Haver theory .. it is a shall we say more friendly theory......

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion