Geni Pro
  • Geni member
  • Geni Pro
Showing 1231-1260 of 1274 posts
Private User
4/14/2013 at 7:58 PM

Private User

4/15/2013 at 3:16 AM

@Jeannette Marina Verroen Uilenreef, ir. I agree with you, the more collaborative groups - particularly those like the Coffee Corners which offer new resources not always known to newcomers to genealogy - the better our chances of achieving the already huge task of building a world-tree.

In fact, I am really surprised that a curator has discouraged us not to support such collaborative efforts; there clearly aren't enough hours in the day for Curators to cover all of the request for assistance that they receive. They do an excellent and vital job but the Geni project as a whole can only get better if ordinary users have multiple opportunities to share experiences and knowledge with each other and Coffee Corners seem to me a feature of Geni that should be encouraged.

4/15/2013 at 4:25 PM

I don't think Bjørn is saying that the "coffee corners" Jeannette runs are a "bad" thing or anything like that. I think he's saying that in these two particular cases -- the Norwegian one and the Estonian one -- they are duplicating something that's already naturally occurring in much larger, more active groups, so they may not be worth her effort. I think Bjørn is simply trying to direct people to the resource that will help them the most, which seems to me to be a kind thing to do.

I think I can safely speak for all curators when I say that we *love* it when users take initiative and create projects, work together on portals, and so forth. No, we definitely do not want to do all the work. :) But we do want to help you use your own time most effectively, which is what I think Bjørn is getting at. If you have a question about ancestors from a particular region, it makes sense to work with the largest existing group of Geni users who work on that area's genealogy and speak its language.

4/16/2013 at 7:57 PM

@Ashley Oden My apologies if I misunderstood when Bjorn asked everyone to stay away from the Coffee Corner project. However, as I misunderstood there is a chance that others would too so my comments stand as is: that is that I believe we ought to support all projects that encourage collaboration and/or help other users how to use Geni and genealogical resources in general.

6/26/2013 at 1:09 AM
7/30/2013 at 11:29 AM
9/12/2013 at 7:01 AM

Count me in! Stig Ove Voll

10/3/2013 at 11:42 AM

Of Course I will be a part of this effort

One note of caution: I am all thumbs when using a computer

Rt Reverend Edward Dalton White Jr

email: vicar009@aol.com

@Philemon Dalton

10/21/2013 at 7:19 AM

this would be great,only when someone tells you your father is still alive or he was not born on the dates you have,and when someone adds family to your list that are so so far off the beaten path you want to go it adds too many to your tree that you never ever get it straight,if someone wants to add to your tree they can send you a message telling them WHAT they have so
thay person can look it over FIRST then they can say yea or no.
if everyone would follow this then yes it would help out everyone.michael

11/13/2013 at 4:38 PM

I'm in! A.J. Jacobs

11/30/2013 at 4:43 PM

I am willing , Patricia Holzer-Tornblom.

Private User
1/15/2014 at 9:32 PM

For those that have not sent me a collaboration request, please do! I love helping out. I primarily work in the French-Canadian tree, but I'll help anywhere I can.

1/16/2014 at 7:28 AM

ok sounds like a great idea.

1/24/2014 at 5:28 PM

I'm in! Thanks for your efforts.

1/25/2014 at 8:01 AM

@Torbjørn Jakobsen Fredenfeldt

Private User
2/11/2014 at 8:33 AM

@Kathryn Yvonne Lehrer

Private User
2/13/2014 at 8:36 PM

@Nick Block

2/14/2014 at 5:52 AM

@William Harry Chapman Jr

2/15/2014 at 4:31 AM

@William Owen "Bill" Irwin

now I need to know how to ad the link.

William Owen "Bill" Irwin

2/15/2014 at 4:32 AM

I got it k

Private User
2/16/2014 at 9:17 AM

If you see any mutual relatives that I may share with any of you when you do a search, I would prefer if you sent me an e-mail first about an exchange of info. I have been getting some crap from cousins about posting even their names on my tree (one even threatened to sue me).

2/21/2014 at 9:12 PM

Ok I'm In too.

3/13/2014 at 9:01 PM

@ Lotriet I am a descendant of a Johanna Lotriet who married Antoni Janjetich in The Catholic Church in Pretoria in the late 1800'd. I have no further information on my great grandmother and I was really hoping that she might be featured somewhere in the Lotriet Family Tree in South Africa.
I know they lived in the Transvaal South Africa and had children BEFORE trekking to Southern Rhodesia and settling in the Essexvale/Filabusi/Insiza district which was not far from Bulawayo.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Jeanette

3/13/2014 at 9:06 PM

@ Lotriet Here is all the information I have on my great grandparents
Antoni/Antonie/Anthony Janjetich
Birth: 1860
Death: March 31, 1934 (74)
Filabusi, Insiza, Matabeleland South, Zimbabwe
Immediate Family:
Son of Joseph Janjetich and Frances Janjetick/Janjetich
Husband of Johanna Frances Janjetick/Janjetich
Father of Antonio William Johannes Janjetich; Maria Katrina van Zyl; Martha Helling; Anne Jane Scott; Antonette Kutchen; John Janjetich; Joseph Francis Janjetich; Henry Frank Janjetich; Francis Maria Janjetich; Barnie Francis Janjetich and Jakob Janjetich « less

3/14/2014 at 6:17 AM

are you signing up for the collaboration pool? This isn't the place for the Janjetich information.

3/14/2014 at 10:49 PM

Hi Barbara. I included as much info as possible because it seems as though my great grandmother was a Lotriet. I am so new to all of this and possibly grabbing at straws. Her name was Johanna and they married in Pretoria. I have NO further information on either of the families and would be so grateful for any assistance regading the Lotriet family connection. A cousin of mine seems to remember Johanna as being referred to as Jean as well. Thanks

3/27/2014 at 6:52 PM

@Thomas Charles Patin

4/8/2014 at 4:33 AM

Michael M. van Beuren Collaboration helps! :)

Private User
4/22/2014 at 9:47 AM

Appreciative Greetings!
...trying this again...
@Rhonda Akin
Private User

4/22/2014 at 8:38 PM

Hi Rhonda Apologies for the delay. Still waiting for documents from Zimbabwe. I called the family on Thursday night last week and asked them to please scan and email urgently so that I can have the documents translated. Needless to say, I am still waiting.

Showing 1231-1260 of 1274 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion