Adopt a Collaborator

Started by David Embrey on Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 91-95 of 95 posts
8/11/2010 at 10:05 AM

We have another who is goign to cause - problems - is there anyway around his profiles?

Charles F. Greenbacker, III has sent you a message:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Merge request

Sorry Judi, I'm no longer willing to collaborate or merge profiles on Geni. I've been burned too many times by people adding unsourced and/or obviously incorrect data to my profiles, such as listing (non-Native American) individuals born in America prior to European settlement. I'm a stickler for citations, and insist on sourcing all information in my family tree from reliable sources (not random GEDCOMs floating throughout the internet). So please feel free to borrow & share any information, but I don't feel comfortable allowing other Geni users to modify my managed profiles. I'm actually in the process of migrating off of Geni onto non-web based software because of it, going through & reverifying all the data for profiles "tampered" with. - Charlie PS: Thaddeus Cook was a pretty important militia colonel during the Revolutionary War. Be sure to check out the notes section of the profile I manage, and I can share even more information if you're interested.

here are the profiles comparison -
http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000001212868875

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000001212868990

I can not un do the merge process on my end - is if I do his profiles will take over The ones I have editorship or manage and thus will permentately be stuck with his

This will caus complete havoc with the so-called "Big tree'"

8/11/2010 at 10:49 AM

If he abandons his profiles and moves to keeping his tree locally, can't he just take off all types of security before he leaves? Can he give management rights to you before he leaves? Just wondering....

8/11/2010 at 12:37 PM

If Mr Greenbacker truly wants to leave Geni altogether after grabbing a GEDCOM download of all he can get, then YES. The process of closing his account will give him the option of choosing who he wants to assign his profiles to. I can only imagine his surprise when he learns that he may not be able to download all of the profiles that he created.

But I didn't see anything in his message about intending to leave Geni. getting him to leave by closing his account would be a BEST CASE scenario. Next best (short of collaborating with somebody like Brox) would be for him to abandon Geni for more than a year- after which time Geni would place his deceased profiles up for grab to anyone.

Worst case would be for him to keep his login current but not accept merge or collaboration requests from anyone.

8/11/2010 at 3:28 PM

David - this is what Mr Greenbacker doing right now to quote you "- - Worst case would be for him to keep his login current but not accept merge or collaboration requests from anyone."

HE WILL NOT Accpet collaborators yet someone is merging his profiles into ours/ mine to quote. him

" but I don't feel comfortable allowing other Geni users to modify my managed profiles. I'm actually in the process of migrating off of Geni onto non-web based software because of it, going through & reverifying all the data for profiles "tampered" with. - Charlie "

----------------------------------
Marsha Gail (Kamish) Veazey commented in the public discussion "Adopt a Collaborator"

You are mentioned in this discussion.

So sorry to say he will not colloborate with ANYONE -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If he abandons his profiles and moves to keeping his tree locally, can't he just take off all types of security before he leaves? Can he give management rights to you before he leaves? Just wondering....

What do you mean by this - " I can only imagine his surprise when he learns that he may not be able to download all of the profiles that he created"

Geni's claim is that we can make download gedcom of anyone in our files in our family tree that we created - SO what gives? Of course iam only putting a direct line of grandparents - when i first joined I had the grandparents with all their children and spouses for now not getting into that unless they interemarried

I think they have to be abanded for at least a year or more before geni will put them up for adoption - not sure - - so that leaves us with a year of fighting with his 'locked proflies' - plus he has not said if and when he plans to leave or abandoned geni permentantly -

8/13/2010 at 8:30 AM

He told me that he was transitioning to off-line software and would leave Geni at some point.

Showing 91-95 of 95 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion