The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

Knapp Family Reunion

Started by Private User on Monday, May 3, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• Denise
    Geni member
  • James
    Geni member
Showing all 9 posts
Private User
5/3/2010 at 6:03 PM

It's the year 2010 and I mentioned to my dad, Private User last Christmas that it would be nice to have a family reunion on his side of the family. We had a rather large and successful one with my mom's family, Private User (her dad's side) a few years back and many of the Knapp members of my Grandpa Edwin's generation have passed away now.

I realize that it will be hard to pull everyone together on such short notice with very few plans, but many tickets have been purchased and hotels are being booked. I thought it would be helpful to have an on-going discussion that remained in one place. Geni has so many stats and interesting information that I figured I might as well have it here. If you are in the family tree I've created (back in 2007), you are welcome to post comments, ask questions, and make suggestions.
The Stephen E. Knapp family (along with the James M. Dasher family) will be in Portland from July 10th to the 14th, and will reunite with as many members as possible in Seattle from July 14th to the 18 or 19th.
Dad's cousins, Dana McCarty and "DiDi" McCarty have a number of suggestions for possible activities to partake in once in Seattle.

Private User
5/3/2010 at 6:05 PM

For some reason my links to Dana McCarty and DiDi Denise McCarty didn't work in the original post. hopefully they will work here.

Private User
5/3/2010 at 6:11 PM

I noticed that Geni is offering a "Mother's Day Special" Tree Poster. I realize there is a cost, but if one person purchased it, hopefully everyone can pitch in some $$ at the actual reunion.
If we do go through with it, I'll need a few more pictures uploaded or it will look rather silly with hand-fulls of empty circles. We can present it to Mary Lou and she could tell us stories of each of her siblings and/or parents. =) What do you think?

5/3/2010 at 6:24 PM

This is great, Amy! I hope all planning to come over this summer will see this. It would be a huge help. The family tree idea is interesting. I showed Mom the information that Steve printed out for me on the visit, and she made one correction on it, and was interested in reading it over. How much is it?

Steven sent me emails from different family members that indicated the following are planning to come to the reunion: Deborah and husband; Eric; Amy, James and the girls; Steve, Kori, Justin, Nathan, Hannah; Dee Dee, Dana, Mary Lou; Lydia? Am I correct? Have I missed anybody? If anyone is still figuring out where to stay, Dee Dee found a great deal through Priceline. Here's the link: http://travelb.priceline.com/hotel/searchResults.do?jsk=2003010a1f0...
I could host 2 adults in my apartment.
I look forward to seeing you!

Private User
5/4/2010 at 3:20 PM

Hey Dana,
I'm going to link each of those people that you listed (and a few other) to get them "in" on the conversation. Hopefully everyone can at least read along with the plans, even if they aren't involved in the planning. And just cause their going to get a message connecting them with this post, I'll put the dates up again:

Knapp Family Reunion:
Unofficially starting: Portland, OR, Saturday, July 10th
"Official" Dates: Seattle, WA, Wednesday, July 14th to the Sunday the 18th

James
Private User
Private User
Private User

If you have other people you want to intentionally add to this discussion, just type the @ sign and start to type their name. I believe the person has to have an email attached to their profile, so feel free to add as needed.

5/4/2010 at 6:03 PM

Hi Amy,

Can we change the date wording a little to "hrough Sunday, the 18th"? After talking with DeeDee, it sounds like she may not be able to join us Saturday, so Sunday may be better for the day with Mom. DeeDee may be able meet up with everyone after work on Thursday and Friday, then spend the day on Sunday.

5/10/2010 at 7:13 AM

That was supposed to read "through Sunday, the 18th." Another change in my schedule. I just learned that an important meeting for my work has been scheduled for the evening of Thursday, July 15h. I can hang out with everyone during the day, but I can't miss that meeting.

Private User
5/18/2010 at 10:12 AM

Hi there!

It looks like our official whole family get-together Day will be Sunday the 18th of July 18, the last day of the reunion, based on everyone's availability. With this in mind, I had a few suggestions for that day.

First, we could plan and hold our own church services together. Location would need to be discussed, but I can provide a guitar and if there was a piano there I know there are a few family members that could help lead a few songs. ;-) My dad could preach a message and a few passages of scripture could be prepared.

Second, following the service we could have a picnic or meet at some pre-determined restaurant for lunch. For the lunch, I was thinking it would be nice to show a slide-show of all the activities and adventures from the previous few days (July 14-17).
I'd like to send out an email info survey to everyone in the family (coming or not) about themselves. I'll compile them together along with the individual family pictures we'll take that day (Sunday). We'll set up a "photo booth" at the lunch where everyone can get their family pictures taken. The pictures can be burned onto CDs or DVDs that everyone can take home along with the survey info "book" to remember the occasion and most importantly, the individuals.

As a side note, my husband reminded me that our youngest daughter's 1st birthday is July 21st - a few days AFTER the reunion. Perhaps we could officially celebrate her birthday at the lunch, too?

Dana, I did talk with my folks and it looks like we (my parents, siblings, and my family) will be staying with some family members on my mom's side, in Kirkland (not too far north from Seattle, if I remember correctly).

Finally (for this post at least), the Family Tree Posters start at $30. If we were to make one it would probably be best to make it of Edwin H. Knapp and his parents/siblings. You'll have to make a 'trial' to understand what i mean. The posters only allow you to pick one person and it goes back to their parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents. You can have their siblings included, but not their spouses, children, or grandchildren. With that in mind, the poster would not actually have any pictures at all. I know my parents have a few that need to be scanned and uploaded, but there are others we may not have at all. I appreciate any input I can get there. =)

That's that for now! I'm going to tag a few more people to this thread, just to get more people "involved." ;-)

Thanks!
Amy

Private User
Nathan Knapp
Hannah Knapp
Private User
Dean Tuttle
Denise

5/18/2010 at 6:15 PM

Hi Amy,
I noticed that you and I are the only two communicating on this post, so I sent messages to Cousins Deborah and Eric on the emails I received from Steve, and they responded to those. DeeDee also had not seen the the Geni post (I don't think), so I'm wondering if we should email them directly. I can forward the responses I received from them. Deborah wanted to stay at the same place as your family at the time she thought you were all staying at the Days Inn. I told her that she should confirm with Steve, but I don't know if she did.
Thank you for taking on the family info. survey and family tree. I'll try to work out a time with DeeDee to do the activity part. The family tree sounds good, and $30 is easily doable if we all chip in.
What time and where are you thinking of for Sunday church?

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion