trouble upline from a merge requested

Started by GM on Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Participants:

Showing all 4 posts
GM PRO
5/11/2010 at 3:51 PM

Hello All,

I just received a merge request for 'Thomas Marshall', but couldn't do it because I found a problem 'upline' from him. Here it is:

http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000003645919781

Can somebody help this get straightened out?
William De Ferrers (c.1118-1150) is shown as being married to Margaret of Derby (Peverel), when actually Margaret is his mother.
According to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_de_Ferrers,_3rd_Earl_of_Derby)

He was shown as supposed to be married to Sybil, daughter of William de Braose.

Is there someone who can either help with this, or tell me how to fix it?

Thanks,

Gwyneth

5/11/2010 at 4:08 PM

This is what Medlands has to say about Sibyl:

[SIBYL (-after 5 Feb 1228). “Willielmus comes de Ferrariis” donated property to Tutbury Priory, for the soul of “uxoris meæ Sibillæ et liberorum meorum”, by charter which names “antecessores mei…Henricus de Ferrariis et Engenulphus et Robertus avus meus et Robertus comes pater meus”[494]. “Robertus [mistake for Willielmus] comes de Ferrariis” donated property to Dore Abbey, for the souls of “Sibilla de Braosa, uxoris meæ matris W. filii mei et sua, et…Bertæ (fuit filia Milonis comitis Herefordiæ) matris uxoris meæ”, by undated charter[495]. However, the Complete Peerage states that this charter is considered to be a fabrication, and that there is no other proof of the parentage of William´s wife[496]. m firstly WILLIAM de Ferrers Earl [of Derby], son of ROBERT de Ferrers Earl [of Derby] & his wife Margaret [Peverel] (-killed in battle Acre 1190 before 21 Oct). m secondly as his second wife, ADAM de Port, son ofJOHN de Port & his wife Maud --- ([1150/55]-[26 Jun/28 Jul] 1213).]

Let me know if this is any help .... it's too late to start a newish problem now. (I have been in this area before though so watch out for notes in 'about me')

5/17/2010 at 11:35 AM

My suggestion would be to have him fix the problem and merge, if he does not fix it then do no merge. Good catch. He should read the link you attached and if not -- no deal.
Bob

GM PRO
5/21/2010 at 2:45 PM

Thanks Terry and Robert. Both helpful. I'll take a big breath and go back in and see what I can do.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion