The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

blog about bob Herdelin June 2009

Started by Chris Knight on Monday, May 17, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• Robert
    Geni member
Showing all 1 post
5/17/2010 at 9:57 PM

http://wwwwsonneteighteencom.blogspot.com/2009/06/bob-herdelin.html

I had a few beers at his bar today. Bob was a basketball star at LaSalle. A rebounding machine at 6-4, he was nevertheless kicked out of school his junior year for "off-campus problems." He would have been drafted by an NBA team but his fear of flying relegated him to a few years in the Eastern League. He last made the news in October when, 76-years-old, he tackled a 23-year-old mugger and had the man in a head lock before the cops could arrive. Details:

Furnishing civil service with a smile

Daily Times, October 24, 2008— A self-proclaimed bounty hunter captured a suspected wanted for a vicious assault last month in the Gallery Mall in Center City.

He plans on donating the $5,000 reward to the Upper Darby Police Athletic League.

Bob Herdelin, the owner of Cheers Lounge, 6840 Market St., single-handedly captured Jason Morgan, 23, suspected in the Sept. 10 attack against an 84-year-old man in the shopping mecca at Ninth and Market streets, Philadelphia.

[...]

“This guy’s on the U.S. Marshals Most- Wanted List and he comes in my bar selling perfume and stuff,” Herdelin said. “I knew it was only a matter of time before I would get him. I had the wanted poster and showed my barmaids to be on the lookout for him.

“He was here Wednesday and the bar maid banged on my door saying, ‘He’s here.’ I dialed 911 and the dispatcher was asking me a lot of questions and I just said send the police because he may have a gun. My bar maid (Thembi Sessoms, of Philadelphia) and cook (Stacy McCollum of West Chester) followed him west on Market Street. He went into the Aquarius Restaurant and then into another store.

“They said he’s in there so I went in. He saw me and knew I was coming after him. He took a swing at me, but I body- slammed him to the ground.”

That’s when SEPTA and about 15 Upper Darby police officers arrived and handcuffed Morgan on charges of robbery, aggravated assault and reckless endangerment.

“This was (allegedly) one of five guys who knocked down the 84-year-old man,” Herdelin said. “It was an atrocious assault and this is the one marshals were really after.”

[...]

Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood recalled Herdelin coming into his office a couple of weeks ago with the wanted poster for Jason Morgan.

“He said, ‘This guy comes in my bar every couple of weeks,’” Chitwood said. “‘The next time I see him, I’m going to grab him and sit on him and any reward I get I’m going to donate to Upper Darby PAL.’

[...]

“Herdelin has done everything humanly possible to keep that area clean. He has posted ‘no loitering’ and ‘no trespassing’ signs and calls police all the time if he suspects any drug dealing or illegal activity. It’s a rough business in a rough location."

Posted by Linh Dinh at 5:43 PM
Labels: Bob Herdelin, Philadelphia, postcard
1 comments:

pinkflower said...

Bob is my HERO! At the time I was working at Cheers Lounge, & Bob posted the most wanted picture on the cash register. Every time I went to ring up a beer, I so this picture (which was not pleasant) so I threw it out, & again I threw it out. Bob reposted it & said listen, when he comes in here I'm going to hand him over to police.... & he did. Boy, was I astonished!
July 25, 2009 10:49 PM

Showing all 1 post

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion