"Middle Name" and "Suffix" in profiles

Started by Heather (Fachet) Bond on Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 10 posts
5/26/2010 at 10:13 AM

hey all,
on a lot of my profiles i have found these included in the name, ie: Heather Middle Name Bond Suffix (not real, just for example).

I have to manually go in and edit each one to delete-- the Middle Name is usually in black type, but the Suffix is in gray. I thought that gray type meant that it was a "place holder," but when i click in the box and hit delete, it fixes the problem.
Is there a way to fix these errors without manually editing each profile?

5/26/2010 at 10:15 AM
Private User
5/26/2010 at 10:27 AM

Heather (Fachet) Bond
I have recently started seeing a lot of those "Suffix" profiles. I don't have any clue what's happening. I thought perhaps a manager was making notes to themselves and those notes were getting picked up in a merge.

If it's a Geni problem, I hope you can fix it -- the suffix is a great tool for keeping generations straight. And while you are looking at suffixes, I have a request -- please, pretty please can we have a "title" field where we can input Dr., Col, Maj., etc? If I'm searching for John Wisenhimer and the only other profile for him is Col. Wisenhimer, the match may not come up, unless I just search under Wisenhimer and then I get 20 or 30 Wisenhimers to sort through (just a made up name -- not really looking for any Wisenhimers).

Private User
5/26/2010 at 10:39 AM

I am seeing these too. I hope it's a wierd GEDCOM that we're cleaning up, rather than a Geni bug...

5/26/2010 at 1:28 PM

I, too, have been seeing them. I'm ignoring them for now...hoping someone is focusing on data conflicts will fix them. I'm focused on stack merging right now...

5/26/2010 at 1:43 PM

I have seen them as well. While doing merge completions in that area and if they are on top, I am editing the profile to get rid of them. Then I merge and check again.

If it ends up as the bottom one, I have to edit the profile after the merge is done.

Kevin

5/26/2010 at 2:15 PM

This has been an issue for about two weeks. Geni now knows about it and promised a fix.
http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=65361

5/26/2010 at 4:37 PM

thanks!

5/29/2010 at 11:51 AM

I saw this today for the first time...

5/29/2010 at 12:02 PM

This has now been fixed, meaning field titles such as 'suffix' are no longer being saved when you edit a profile. Unfortunately we don't have any way to fix the bad data that was created while this was an issue. We'll all just need to clean it up as we come across it.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion