maiden name

Started by Megan Lounsberry on Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 5 posts
6/2/2010 at 9:25 AM

Has anyone come up with a maiden name for Luvina yet?

6/2/2010 at 2:23 PM

I've been doing some searching today and found this tree on Ancestry.com. http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/2967072/person/-1107302114 Can Penny or Joanie take a look at this? I'm feeling pretty confident that this is Luvina's family. What do you guys think? I couldn't help but notice her sister's name is Sallie Sarah and her mother's name is Fanny.

Private User
6/4/2010 at 3:22 PM

If it is on Ancestry.com, I cannot see it with that link here. I wonder why? I am on my tree, doing some names, and I have a William H. Gladden and a Mary J. UKN...as the parents of Sarah Sallie Gladden Pruitt. Is this right, or is it unknown by ya'll and I do have the answers? Help please. Will try to see about that link ya have here and see the tree.

6/7/2010 at 8:47 AM

Sallie has been a bit of a mystery. Originally the only Sallie Gladden I could find was listed as black, the daughter of Peter and Anna(?), Anna being mulatto and Peter being listed as black. I thought, hm, how strange. I'm not opposed to having African or mulatto ancestry, but surely darker skin would have shown up up in my great aunts and uncles. So that's when I went to the message boards and asked around there. People started sending me info on another Sallie, a white Sallie Gladden from Lee County i think it was. Her parents were listed as William and Mary and it appears they may have owned a family of slaves. One of the census records I saw from 1870 listed a black family by the name of Bufford as part of the household. I'm guessing they were former slaves and stayed there for whatever reason. But then when you look at the 1880 census for that same family the Buffords are gone. So I started to think that was the Sallie I was looking for. However, I then found our cousin, Penny, who thinks Sallie was mulatto based on some info she has found. Sallie raised Penny's father, Harold (whom was technically her grandson). Penny was always told that Sallie's full name was Sallie Mae Isabella Alabama Gladden Pruitt. The Alabama part is what makes her and I question Sallie's race. Slaves often identified with their former owners or their geographic location. So, in short, we're still up in the air on Sallie.

6/7/2010 at 8:56 AM

In regards to the link I posted earlier in this thread, here is the info on ancestry.com I found. I was trying to find info on Albert's mother, Louvina, and I think this may be her family:

Parents:
Alexander Mabe
Frances "Fanny" Lawson

Children:
Alexander Mabe Jr.
Betsy Elizabeth Mabe
Polina Mabe
Taylor Mabe
Louvina Mabe
Anderson Mabe
Sally Sarah Mabe
John Mabe
William Mabe
James Jim Mabe

Alexander was born in Stokes County, NC
Frances was born in Virginia

I should probably do a little more research, but I really feel confident that this is Louvina's family.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion