The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

Nice features to have

Started by Michael T Lancaster on Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Participants:

Showing all 14 posts
6/9/2010 at 2:31 PM

When going through a whole lot of profiles in the compare lists sometimes up to a hundred and then requesting merges, it would be nice if there was a checkbox to show witch you already had processed. Also it would be nice if similar information was shown in the listings as they are when you compare two profiles. and last but not least the headings for parents, brothers, sisters and husbands would be nice in a "fat" font to separate them from the data. To warn of namesakes i could imagine sibling with the same given names listed in red, the one could research in depth to find out if the profiles really match or if its a brother or a sister that died young.
I don really know how to relate these idea's to geni?

Private User
6/9/2010 at 2:36 PM

Hi Michael,

There is a "suggestion box" section in the forum.

6/9/2010 at 3:22 PM

Michael - sounds a bit comblicated

I think many tings could be solved with a notice box to each profil.

You write: going through a whole lot of profiles in the compare lists
if you mean the list similar profiles, it would be nice to know if the profil is inside or outside "our tree"

6/10/2010 at 10:50 AM

Yes i agree, but often when i review profiles i go sub un parents or siblings and maybe two or three generations back to get dates or names. then when i either remove or request (or merge) i again return to the compare list, its hard to remember where you left of. Before the new implementations the review texst went gray, when you had requested, but now it only turns gray if there is only one manager and no collaborators. in the Profiles it must be possible to warn about namesakes amongst siblings. A lot of confusion and wrongful merges are because of a child christened at birth and dying within hours or days (only if christened you could go to paradise), and the next child often born within a your or a couple of years, is given the same name.
When studying profiles namesakes often appear in the sister or brothers list, if the profiles first (given) name and a name in the siblings list are identical, it would be useful if this was highlighted e.g.. color or "FAT" . Also when reviewing the profiles in the compare list all the text is continuos, it would be more user friendly if the data was separated by the labels in "Fat" or new line. This would save time when going through 100 profiles in the compare list, many can be removed without comparing, because the parents are so different that they cannot be the same.

6/10/2010 at 1:10 PM

Would be nice to have "before" and "after" in addition to "circa".

6/10/2010 at 1:35 PM

OR MABY AN INTERVAL " FROM XXXX TO XXXX "OR A CENTURY

Private User
6/11/2010 at 6:13 AM

I'd like some error-catching utilities. Put alerts on profiles who died before they were born, who were born before one of their parents, who lived longer than 110 years, etc. When you mouse over the alert icon, it would say "this profile might have one or more errors, click to fix"

Also, if these are on profiles you manage, it would show "XX possible errors" on your homepage.

6/13/2010 at 12:58 AM

Brian,
if you look at the tree, you can often see in the bottom left corner of the boxes a green circle with a ? in it. This DOES indicate that the birth-death dates are thought to be in error or excessively long.

6/13/2010 at 1:32 AM

What about a "resolve conflicts" link, even if there is no yellow triangle - you often experience that there is a doublet wife/husband but no triangle, it would be much easier so solve with a link to "resolve conflicts" than to repair with move!! and you even have a opportunity ´to solve more problems in one

6/13/2010 at 9:08 AM

Günther,
this too already exists. In the tree view, disable the "flip nodes" option in the Preferences at the bottom. Now when you look at a profile box, you will see a link on the bottom that says 'more'. Click that and you will see a button that says Resolve Duplicates...

6/13/2010 at 9:16 AM

Shmuel Thanks - nice to know I found the flip view more plesent but maybe!!

6/13/2010 at 11:42 AM

Just had a merge request for Katherin Hungerford (Pervell). Replied that there was a problem since she apparently was her own sister. Therefore i wouldn't merge not to contaminate other profiles. Had to levee and when i returned this afternoon someone had completed the merge. I still think that a warning about namesakes is needed. n this case if the name among the siblings had been red or yellow, it would have been easy to spot and then further research could be done in the background. Now i not know how to unmerge and kill the sister profile. In the meantime Geni reports a problem when trying to view the tree of Katherin.

6/13/2010 at 5:51 PM

Hi Michael: If there are duplicates after you do a merger, you will receive a box with all of the immediate family in it with the instruction to place duplicates on top of the others. Also you will receive a conflict notification and can press on that and you will get a list. I don't know if this makes sense, if not let me know and I will show you screen copy.

6/14/2010 at 11:00 AM

The apparent problem was that the profile was her own sister. And I don't know how you get behind the profile and edit things like this. It must be a bad merge as far as i can see. I tried through the tree, i tried in edit mode, i tried everything i could think of, but could not get to the sisters profile. I still think that it would be useful if geni changed the color of conflicting names among parents,sister, brothers, and spouses. a simple compare and change color if the same name appears both in the profile and among the relative information. This way you could go in depth and se if it eg. was a sibling died young or spouse, sister and so forth.

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion