GEDCOM

Started by Private User on Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Participants:

Showing all 8 posts
Private User
6/22/2010 at 9:19 PM

i would like to import GEDCOM to GENI from my privet desk since it will take me to long to create the tree i have with approximate 450people. can anyone tell me how to do it? can i replace it with an actual tree?

6/26/2010 at 3:53 PM

Ze'ev
the following forum discussion explains how to do that:
http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=66491

2/21/2011 at 1:51 PM

Gedcom imports are still not enabled after at least 4 months?! Not going to enter hundreds of names that I have on another site. This is why gedcom exists....
I just found this site yesterday and this is not very encouraging for this site.

2/21/2011 at 2:57 PM

Entering manually isn't really very hard or time consuming but the key thing to remember with Geni is that it is different to other sites. There is a good chance that you won't have to add your whole tree because it may already exist on Geni. I suggest you search for some of your family names and see if you can find any branches of your tree already on Geni. If you do then you only have to add on to what is already there.

2/22/2011 at 7:55 AM

Problem with that is that I am relying on other peoples information and they may not have it correct. I like to have all my data and compare it to other peoples. I have 4000+ names and dont have the time to enter them all.

2/22/2011 at 8:34 AM

It's up to you, of course, David, but there is also the possibility that you have something wrong. The data that has sources can be backed up with these sources and citations so if your sources are strong others will benefit from your work and be able to correct their 'wrong' information but it works both ways. someone else may have sources that you haven't seen yet and you may benefit from them. As I said before you possibly won't need to enter all 4000. I have entered all of my profiles manually and I have over 5k,

2/22/2011 at 8:44 AM

David,
having entered 4000 profiles, you discover you have 2000 that are duplicated in the tree. Now what? You going to do all of the work required to merge them?

2/22/2011 at 12:25 PM

Well its possible that I have some information wrong but that is where I need to verify with the sources. And yes In the end I will have to verify all duplicates one by one, but at least I know I am not letting in incorrect data. I have information on Ancestry.com and a lot of the people just assume that data they are being matched with is correct.
In any case I will only enter basic information and see how things go.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion