Geni in other languages

Started by Noah Tutak on Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Participants:

Showing all 12 posts
6/23/2010 at 6:43 PM

This was just posted to the Geni blog:

http://blog.geni.com/2010/06/twenty-languages-one-tree.html

Geni's user base is truly international, with family trees extending around the globe. Our largest tree connects users from Israel to Estonia, from Norway to Malaysia, and just about everywhere in-between. Over half of our users come from outside of the United States, even though Geni has only been available in English – until now.

A few weeks ago we invited a small group of users to use our new translation tools to translate Geni. The response has been fantastic - a few dozen volunteer translators have translated the site into twenty languages in less than two weeks.

Letting users around the world use Geni in their native language is an important step towards our goal of creating a single family tree of the entire world. Every tree support multiple users with multiple languages. Users can switch languages on the fly, and every part of Geni is available in every language we support.

Switching Languages

Use the new language selector to switch languages. Click on "English" on the top right of any Geni page to open the language selector.

Choose your language from the "Other Languages" section to switch languages. Your selected language is added to the "Your Languages" list. You can add as many languages as you'd like. Click on English to switch back.

That's all you need to do to switch to your favorite language and start inviting those relatives you've been waiting to invite!

Translating

All Geni translations have been provided by volunteer translators. You can help translate Geni, even if your language is already translated. You can vote on existing translations, and add new translations as we update the site.

Use the "Enable Inline Translations" link in the language selector to start translating the site. When you see a phrase with a red underline, right-click (or Control-click on a Mac) to translate it. Use the "Translation Tools" link in the language selector for advanced translation tools.

Additional Languages

We're trying to determine which languages we should translate next. If your language is not in the list below, send an email to translate@geni.com and let us know which language you'd like us to add and whether you would be willing to help us translate.

Languages

Geni is currently available in: Hebrew, German, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Czech, Estonian, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Slovak, French, Icelandic, Lithuanian, Ukranian, Hungarian, Turkish, Portuguese, and Indonesian.

Private User
6/23/2010 at 7:23 PM

Awesome job, Noah. I am impressed at how fast the translations happened. Many congrats to you and to all the Geni staff.

6/23/2010 at 8:29 PM

Hi Noah! Very nice. I'm trying to colaborate. Please do not create a different translation for portuguese of any country. As in wikipedia, Portugal, Brasil, Angola, Moçambique, Cabo Verde, Guiné-Bissau, Macau, São Tomé-e-Príncipe e Timor-Leste should be together. There are few diferences, but completely understood for all of us.

6/24/2010 at 7:31 AM

Nice work, so if I get this right , I can now look up some of my other profiles that are not English(scotish,Danish,French etc.) and it will let that native see it in his or her version. That sounds great...

Private User
6/24/2010 at 11:06 PM

@Lúcia:

In theory you are right but by my own experience translating sites and games, some speakers of the iberic portuguese are very... resistent to the evolution of the language. Words like "contactar", "acção", "exactamente" were extinct way before the last official ortographic revision but they are still using them, including here at Geni.

And other words like "ficheiro", "sítio" and "rato" not even exist in the brazilian portuguese and/or don't are used in the same sense, even though having equivalent ones much more appropriated. Not to mention that they sound dreadfully...

Then settles the 'war'. A phrase, 'activate the file', for an example, is correctly translated to the current rules as "ativar o arquivo". In the other day the retrograde portuguese fellow comes and 'retranslates' the phrase to something like "activar o ficheiro", wrong to the official rules. And so on... I already see and struggle this enough time...

My vote is to maintain the two translations separated: the brazilian and the iberic. Please note that I'm not opposing to a unified translation but thinking to the best interest of the users.

Private User
6/25/2010 at 8:20 PM

And the 'Portugal vs. Brazil war' already started. Most of my time tranlating is spent correcting "acções" and "ratos" over and over again...

6/25/2010 at 8:24 PM

@Giancarlo would it help if we enabled Brazilian Portuguese? Would you help translate?

Private User
6/25/2010 at 10:04 PM

Of course, Noah! I am translating even without the division between Brazilian / Iberic portuguese. But it would turn the work less... counter-productive by one hand, let's say.

Obviously the work already done must be carried together along with the new language division, not least because almost all the work done until now was done by (surprise!) brazilians. :-) Most of main content is already translated.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy so much the Portugal people, I have many portuguese friends, most of them don't talk like as they live before the last century, by the way... It would be perfect having a unified language, but this is life: not perfect.

The "Facebook translation war" was bloody and it was won by the brazilian portuguese just because brazilians are too many. I don't believe that Geni have that many brazilian users, unfortunatelly... And I love Geni too much to see it tainted by old, ugly and/or wrong words. Sorry Lúcia...

6/25/2010 at 10:23 PM

I have enabled Portuguese (Brazilian).

Private User
6/25/2010 at 11:53 PM

Noah, the translations I already made are not appearing in the Portuguese (Brazil) Translation Tools page neither the Google Translate suggestion feature in the translation box...

Private User
6/26/2010 at 1:25 AM

Noah, - as I suggested in the forum you simply set up Portuguese (Brazilian) with Portuguese (Portugal) as fall-back language in the language console. I did also suggest that you wait with such variants until the fall-back languages is more complete ;-)

5/23/2013 at 11:54 AM
Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion