FamilyLink.com

Started by Marsha Gail (Kamish) Veazey on Thursday, June 24, 2010

Participants:

Showing all 17 posts
6/24/2010 at 9:37 AM

Does anyone use familylink.com for research purposes? Membership is on sale now for $3.95 / month (billed all at once, one year) as opposed to $9.95 / month. People were saying that they found relatives they never knew they had, etc. I was wondering if anyone here has used it and if they think it's worth the fee. Thanks!

Private User
6/24/2010 at 10:45 AM

I have used the service as well as several others. Different relatives sign up for different services. There is a certain amount of duplication but soome people prefer on site over the other for a variety of reasons, cost often being a consideration. I have found GENi to be the most cost effective in finding new relatives. I have found over 2000 close Cousins (5th or closer) which has been a good return on my investment. Ancestory.com, find my past.com, Genetree.com, Family link.com, familysearch.org, Google, various obituaries form media to name a few have also been productive. An active researcher needs many tools, some are location, organizatrion, or industry specific, some are easier to use than others, some cost less than others. You need to try several and find those that most comfortably meets your needs.

Many social networks can provide useful clues also.
Richard

6/24/2010 at 12:33 PM

one of my favorites is footnote.com , it runs about 12 a month, but has excellent records. also, the LDS site has an extensive collection. Try genweb, they are routinely putting up new records for local areas, i've found lots of material in family bibles. Googlebooks is also an excellent source. As far as familylink goes. sorry, but I haven't a clue, but if you get good results, could you pass that along? Thanks and happy hunting!
p.s. anyone with or wanting information on the following families: BLACK (Pennsylvania), Garman (Pennsylvania) or Hess ( Pennsylvania) drop me a note. The Black family came from Greenock Scotland, the Garman's from Darmstadt Germany and the Hess' from Switzerland (Mennonites)

Private User
6/24/2010 at 12:51 PM

My Great Gmother was Mary Black (1805 1853) from Argyll, Married to Duncan McFarlane and died in Calander, Perthshire. I know Black is a common name but if there is a connection it would be nice. Her father was Duncan Black and that is all I know.

Richard Wilson

6/24/2010 at 12:57 PM

let me do a little peeking, and see if I can find anything for you.

6/24/2010 at 1:10 PM

How cool! I hope y'all connect. Deborah, I still have your info, just haven't had a chance to review it yet.

Thanks both of you for the info!

6/24/2010 at 1:12 PM

Richard, I did a little peeking. Your great grand mother was born more in the western loches area, more NW than the Blacks of my family. We traveled over in very early 1700's. And your ggm went north into the Aberdeen area, making her more of a true Scot (hard to believe, i know). Northern Scots believed themselves to be more pure in stock than the lowland Scots who were invaded by all the european countries and cross bred. So, I don't have a link, but I kept your information, in case I do find a link, in which case, I will let you know. Scotland/England has a genealogy site, but it's amazingly expensive, you have to pay PER DOCUMENT that you view, so, even though they are good documents be really sure the exact documents you want, and you know the names and dates. Also, you can look up the local churches, and see if any records have been kept, the churches seem to be freer with information than the "web sites".

6/24/2010 at 1:13 PM

I have a lot more info Marsha, and anything I have i'll be happy to share.

6/24/2010 at 1:39 PM

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?22342-MACFAR... ==try posting on this forum

http://www.kilmartin.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view...

http://genforum.genealogy.com/mcfarlane/

here are few non-normal places I found (which are my treasured places to hunt for information) with some McFarlane history and some McFarlane/Black History in Scotland.

Private User
6/24/2010 at 1:44 PM

Any help would be appreciated. I am at the end of this line for now.

Richard

Private User
6/24/2010 at 1:47 PM

Thank You very much

Richard

6/24/2010 at 3:48 PM

richard, you might find this link of interest: http://books.google.com/books?id=qxGwFVDfIT4C&pg=PA34&dq=Mc...
I wish I had more information to go on, in order to pin point if your mary is part of my family. Interesting thing is, that most of the MacFarlane < most probable correct spelling, appear to be Jacobites, and were banished from Scotland. There is a lot of interesting Jacobite history out there! The fact that Mary was born there, and died in Callander Scotland, one could surmise that she didnt marry a MacFarlane that was a Jacobite. Which is odd, because usually a whole family either was or wasn't. Even then, whole families were banished because of the individual acts. Either way, if you wish to send me an email, and we can discuss this further, I'd be happy to poke around a bit more. Deb

Private User
6/24/2010 at 4:40 PM

Thank you for your help. My great grandfather, Parlan (Mary's 3rd son) was trained as a stonecutter in Scotland, did quite well and was sent to London for training on building cathederals. While there his whole family died of smallpox. He then decided to go to Canada. Then he decided to go to Utah. He became a Judge, Mayor, and Doctor in the developing country. He built the largest Church in the County. My grandfather was 60 years old when my mother was born and he and his sister said that their father was very politically active and had come from an active family. My mother said that her father could dance the Scottish dances very well. McFarlane was how my mother and her relatives that I know spelled the name.

Richard

6/24/2010 at 4:48 PM

there is a googlebooks on the quarry cutters of Callander, let me find the link for you. http://www.google.com/search?tbs=bks%3A1&amp;tbo=1&amp;q=macfarlane...

6/24/2010 at 4:51 PM

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#givenName=Par...

When you said Utah, I knew for sure he would be found in the LDS files. They have an amazing amount of information.

Private User
6/24/2010 at 5:08 PM

I am LDS and work in the local Family History Center so am quite aquainted with LDS files. I am a retired Computer Geek and have helped with the development of the new system. I have over 26,000 names on my personal database but I have found it easier to work on my dad's line than my mother's because it was easier to find information but I am slowing down on that line now.

My fathers mother was an Orrock from Fife whose grandmother was a Commings. They were short people about 5 feet tall but the McFarlanes were over 6ft 3 (my gggf's hight, he was the runt of the family, he had been a semi pro wrestler in Scotland for a while). They moved to Liverpool and worked in the weaving industry before moving to Utah in the mid 1850's

I know of the

6/24/2010 at 5:12 PM

oh, how cool. I am an indexer for LDS. Though, I find it interesting that a lot of people wont search the site because it's LDS. I am a computer programmer also, things are funny. But gen gets all my attention these days

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion