The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

RIP Helen Minerva Emma (Petersen) Johnson

Started by Private User on Thursday, July 1, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• Helen
    Geni member
  • Ruth
    Geni member
Showing all 5 posts
Private User
7/1/2010 at 9:22 AM

Written by brothers Peter @peter albin johnson and Phil @philip albin johnson Johnson: Mom passed quietly on Sunday 27 June at her home in Walpole, Mass with son Phil at her side. Her last few days can be characterized as a peaceful journey from the robust life that mom always led. It seems like only yesterday that we celebrated her 93rd birthday on May fifth at the Herring Run in Bournedale near Cape Cod Canal that brought back so many memories of family fun in that area. Later in May she and Phil visited Holly and Jim at their Hancock, NH home when they were back East from Oregon. As usual, she had us rolling on the floor from her wisecracks. So now we have the many, many memories. A favorite picture is one of mom on a rock in the ocean taken by dad in the very early forties. Similar in pose to the famous “ Little Mermaid” statue in the entrance to Copenhagen harbor, Denmark being her country of heritage. Memories of camping at the entrance to the Canal on Sagamore Beach, “ Saggy Baggy”, after WW2 when there were still wooden shipwrecks there. Later memories of the Benoit’s, otherwise known as the Herring Run Motel. The pool, Foundry Pond, the ships passing, the stripers, etc. Other memories of camping in Bourne under the Bourne Bridge, later at other campgrounds on the Cape and northern New England and eastern Canada. Then there were the Walpole homestead backyard barbeques, in season, with gourmet [ to us] food in abundance accompanied by making “ canal currents” in the above ground pool. Talking of abundance, Christmas was always outrageous! Dad’s passing in January of ‘98 was difficult for mom. Fortunately, Phil was there for her. In memory of mom, we in the immediate family thought that in lieu of formal church or funeral home services, we would prefer to have a family and friends gathering to share the many wonderful memories. Our current thinking is to rent a campground in August on the Cape for a three day weekend. Day trips, staying with the several family members living nearby will be options to actually camping. We will keep you posted. Think about your favorite pix to stimulate memories and discussions around the campfire.

In lieu of flowers, we are suggesting donations to : The Trustees of Reservations, Beverly, Mass. This was the same request made for dad’s passing.

Private User
7/1/2010 at 9:23 AM

Written by: Peter Johnson & Private User

7/1/2010 at 10:53 AM

I'm sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful woman!

Private User
7/4/2010 at 12:55 AM

I am eternally grateful for the memories she has given me. She was one spunky lady!!

Private User
7/6/2010 at 7:08 AM

From Ruth on Facebook, a very nice post:
She was a wonderful women and managed with grace, love and dignity, the 6 men in her life. She taught me much as a young bride and mother and was there for me in abundance whenPaul died and i was adrift in grief with two little ones and another about to be born. Many happy memories of camping at Shawnee Crowell State Park, digging for Sandwich glass remnants, beaching, eating fried clams and being called "Ru-Barb because after a long evening with a few cocktails Mark's wife Barbara and I would start looking the same. How we'd laugh over that!! My sincerest condolances to all of you and if you all meet on the cape please feel welcome at my inn.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion