The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

Any Hungarian genealogy experts out there?

Started by Private User on Monday, August 30, 2010

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 13 posts
Private User
8/30/2010 at 9:02 PM

I've been trying for about two years now to determine where my gg-grandparents are buried in Pecs, Hungary. My grandmother had a xerox of a xerox of a xerox of a photo of their gravestones but I have been unable to track down the original.
http://www.geni.com/photo/view/6000000000916357534?album_type=photo...

I've been able to verify my gg-grandparents' names via the death certificate of one of their children. I have had zero luck in finding their death certificates or any record as to where they are buried. Their names were Jószef Szirovatka and Erzsébet Folge, here are their profiles:
Jószef Szirovatka
Erzsébet Folge
http://www.geni.com/people/J%C3%B3szef-Szirovatka/60000000009163575...
http://www.geni.com/people/Erzs%C3%A9bet-Folge/6000000000916433166#...

If anyone sees this that speaks Hungarian and is looking for a research challenge please contact me :)

Thanks
Daniel

Private User
8/30/2010 at 9:32 PM

You may try on findagrave.com If you search the cemeteries you can sometimes ge help from someone who is familiar in that area. When I just went theree a, I saw a few entries for a cemetery in that town. May be worth a try

Private User
8/30/2010 at 9:34 PM
8/30/2010 at 10:07 PM

Daniel: Intriguing question I think there may be a fairly easy answer. I googled: pecs hungary cemeteries and up pops a map of the cemeteries with references for each. Why not send the picture you have with a note in English to each of the cemeteries and ask them if these folks are buried there. I also noticed in the Wikipedia entry that Pecs has two US sister cities, that probably means that someone in city government or the better business office speaks English. My travel experience leads me to believe there are many who speak English in Hungary. You may be able to just email. Make sure to use your very best English, no abbreviations or slang. It is worth a try.
Jon Bayer
PS: don’t forget the great translators available on line, most web pages are easily translated instantly

Private User
8/30/2010 at 11:15 PM

Dan,
My father's parents were natives of Austria-Hungary. I believe my grandfather was Banat -- a group of ethnic Germans resettled generations ago to Austria-Hungary to serve as a buffer against Turks and Muslims. You can Google Banat and learn more about that.

My father's mother I believe was actually ethnic Serbian. I believe some of her family may have lived in Hungary. I grew up being told she was Hungarian, although the documents I have found list her as Serbian.

Both emigrated to this country and are buried here. I have been unable to find information about their ancestors. If you find any good resources, I hope you will share. I will do the same for you.

Regards,
Maria

8/31/2010 at 2:13 AM

My father in law was born in Czechoslovakia. After WW II, any public records (which survived) for that area, including Hungary, ended up in the former Soviet Union.
He was able to get his birth certificate by starting with the Russian embassy. It still took over two years with their help, and several hundreds of dollars; speaking English sufficed for the most part, but speaking Russian will of course accelerate the process.

Private User
8/31/2010 at 4:40 AM

have you had any luck with census trying to locate where they were living when they died? Or close to when they died?
If you can get this info, you can run the local newspapers looking for obits. You can also check the local church records (or probably more accurately pay someone to do it for you) to see if they are listed in any of them.

Also where the children were living when they died, as they MIGHT have died on a visit - but even today people tend to have the remains shipped to the family stomping grounds to be buried in the family graveyard. Or at least hometown.

Private User
8/31/2010 at 4:41 AM

Daniel,
Not looking for a research challenge, and I'm no expert, but I do speak Hungarian and would be happy to try to help you. I was unable to make out the writing on the gravestones. Let me know what you need.

george

Private User
8/31/2010 at 7:03 AM

I'm no expert, but these are likely in the big main city cemetery; note similar gravestones at http://www.pbase.com/sweetanddeadly/image/69597814.

Private User
8/31/2010 at 9:53 AM

Daniel, Europe4on ancestors were Czechs ( from Austria) and not Hungarians, I neither speak Hungarian nor Czechoslovakian.

Sorry,

Wanda

Private User
8/31/2010 at 10:03 AM

One of the new curators, FARKAS Mihály László, from and living in Hungary might be able to help you.

Private User
8/31/2010 at 10:54 AM

Dear Daniel,
Though I'm not an expert in Hungarian genealogy, I may suggest you to use the Pilot search of www.familysearch.org. as you might know the province's name besides Pecs. That has been useful for me to search and locate close relatives that I couldn't find before. Also, as someone suggested you, look at google for the cementeries in Pecs and email or write them asking if they're buried there. It will take a day or two.

Good luck and best regards,

Sylvia

Private User
8/31/2010 at 1:45 PM

Wow, lots of great ideas/feedback here. Thanks! I'll just reply to everyone here instead of one by one.

Lori, I use findagrave a lot but unfortunately my gg-grandparents aren't listed in their database. If I can find out where they are buried though I hope to use findagrave to get a photo.

Jon, I have contacted a few cemeteries but so far no luck. The language barrier makes it challenging :(

Maria, I have a contact in Hungary that does genealogy research for $100 a day. He is who I used to track down the death certificate for one of my gg-grandparents children thus confirming their names. I will send you his contact info.

R. Lee - wow, that is the first I've heard of that. That will certainly make this a challenge won't it :)

Susie, do you know where I can find censuses from that area/timeframe? Ancestry.com doesn't have them yet and that's my main resource for censuses. As for the children, my g-grandfather and his brother both emigrated to the US and died here. I only know for sure about one of the other siblings, she died in Pecs and I was able to track down her death certificate. That part was an adventure too, I have a postcard that was written in Suetterlin style german script. I had to find someone who could translate it....it is kind of a neat postcard. Anyway, that's how I determined her date of death and thus the death certificate hunt.
http://www.geni.com/profile/6000000000854504594/events/600000000659...

George, Thanks! I may send you a message about writing a letter in Hungarian for me. Something that I could send to the cemeteries in the area to see if they have any records on them.

Brox, thanks, I will get in touch with him and see if he has any ideas.

cheers
Daniel

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion