More merging enhancements

Started by Noah Gregory Tutak on Thursday, September 2, 2010

Participants:

Showing 1-30 of 38 posts
9/2/2010 at 3:07 PM

We just released some more merging enhancements:

1. We are now removing requested merges from the list of matches on a profile. Let's say for example there is a profile for Fred Berry that has one match and you have approved that match. Fred Berry's profile will no longer show that there is a match, and Fred will be removed from your list of profiles that have matches. This should make working through the tree matches tab of your merge center as efficient as the profile merges tab.

2. We've updated the columns in the merge center to make them more consistent. We've also updated the sorting options.

3. When viewing data conflicts, a new icon indicates any fields that are supported by sources. Click on the icon to view the source(s).

4. Finally, instead of seeing the "Profile id#XXXX has been merged into a different profile" error, you will now see a link to another profile merge that you must complete first.

We've also found some pending merges that were not converted to the new merge center, so there may be a one time increase in the number of profile merges in your list. I'm sure we'll work through these quickly.

Private User
9/2/2010 at 3:26 PM

Noah! Yay! Thank you! I've been working hard on the 200-era French families, and discovered exactly what you mean ... it's suddenly so much easier. I love efficiency
Kitty!

9/2/2010 at 3:31 PM

Noah,

Can you also check for profiles with Conflicting Data and get them to show up.

I have at least one and it will not show up for me to complete it.

Kevin

9/2/2010 at 3:41 PM

In my profile merges, I now have three pages with updated by "account deleted". What do I do with them?

Private User
9/2/2010 at 7:11 PM

Me too! (Account deleted)

9/2/2010 at 7:55 PM

Wow I went from 28,500+ after the update last week, got it down to 16,000 this morning, came back tonight and found 43,868..

Guess I better get to work eh...lol

Private User
9/2/2010 at 8:38 PM

Eldon,

The "account deleted" still has a 'manager' so the profile should be mergeable. I just did one to make sure and it merges fine. Go for it!

Angus,

Rock on. We are getting cleaned up believe it or not.

Private User
9/2/2010 at 8:42 PM

Hahaha Angus we'll be doing this for the rest of our lives! I love it! It's lots of fun. I'm learning so much and connecting with lots of people.

Private User
9/3/2010 at 2:18 AM

Love the new enhancements, now any new matches are actually new to me and I don't have to go through pages of people just to find profiles I have't approved for a merge.

Now, if I would be able to choose which of my collaborators I would like to see in my Merge Center, it would be beautiful. Or at least sort them by manager.

9/3/2010 at 8:09 AM

I know that Geni made some more changes in the Merge Center yesterday, but I am completely confused because suddenly my Profile Merges (merges pending) list is increasing exponentially. It went from 300 yesterday to 1200 this morning and in the last hour has gone to 1700. Why exactly has it increased so much? (This is *without* including my collaborators)

Hundreds of the merges pending say they were last updated TODAY but in the UPDATED BY column it says in italics, Account Deleted. What is going on? How can someone with a deleted account be making updates today?

9/3/2010 at 8:12 AM

Also, Noah or Mike--how can I sort by different columns in the Profile Merges tab?

Also, is there a way to just pull up the pending merges for profiles managed by ME?

Thank you!

9/3/2010 at 9:28 AM

My profile merges 'including Collaborators' shows 56,375.

I started merging, did about ten, that number is not changing..

9/3/2010 at 9:31 AM

I just removed the checkmark in 'Include Collaborators' and my Profile Merges still remain at 56,375

9/3/2010 at 9:59 AM

Ok weird things happening, now my Profile Merges show 17 without Collaborators and 17 Including Collaborators...

9/3/2010 at 12:25 PM

There are still some outstanding issues we are working on and hope to have resolved today:

1. The number of issues is increasing because we are running a script to popular your profile merges tab with merges we missed the first time around. Mine has more than tripled! The good news is, once this is done (hopefully today?), all the possible merges will be visible for all of us to work on.

2. Counts are not updating properly right now. When you switch include collaborators on or off, the count will not be updated right away, but the list will. The count will update eventually. Also, when you complete or request merges, the count is not updating right away. We are trying to fix both of these issues today.

9/3/2010 at 12:25 PM

Pam Wilson unchecking the include collaborators filter should show you only profiles managed by you.

9/3/2010 at 2:20 PM

@Noah Gregory Tutak Noah, that doesn't work since the Include Collaborators filter is already unchecked and 90% of the profiles listed are managed by other people, not myself. I'm assuming that the reason they are included is that I am a shared manager on them--but I want to to see the ones for which I am Primary Manager.

9/4/2010 at 1:55 PM

Noah Gregory Tutak,

Can you fix the problem with missing profiles on the Data Conflicts Tab? For some reason, it shows one less than the total count.

Kevin

Private User
9/5/2010 at 6:26 AM

My "Profile Merges" is up to 172000 now, wow.

Private User
9/5/2010 at 8:41 AM

Noah... I'm sure we were all expecting a jump in the number of merges... but a 10 fold (or more in some cases) increase in pending merges? Seriously?

@Private User: 172k merges?!?!

Holly holy... and I thought my merge count was bad (6111 currently)!

Jason P Herbert

Private User
9/5/2010 at 8:54 AM

Whay are most of my merge issues list filled with "last modified by /account deleted/"? Is this a bug, or are really most adjustments done by a person who then left Geni? In case, that is quite disturbing ...

9/5/2010 at 11:42 AM

I noticed the same thing. My guess: this is information that Geni was not keeping before, so for everything that has not been modified since the introduction of the merge center or revisions or something like that, it lists it as 'account deleted'.

Private User
9/5/2010 at 1:43 PM

223,000 and still climbing :(

Private User
9/5/2010 at 1:43 PM

That is including collaborators. I only have 5000 of my own.

9/5/2010 at 11:45 PM

The Merge Center has still bugs...

For historicals it lists somebody 5...40 times, each row gives only possibility to merge/to solve pending merge of just pair.
Why I shall click to profile name (and from there: "View her other profiles and complete the pending merges.") instead "View Pending Merge" to get access to all stacked merges (row at lower part of the page)? Why these stacked merges are not accessible from "View Pending Merge" (then shall will be no need to display the same names many times in pending merges list)?

Lauri

9/6/2010 at 12:30 AM

Lauri,
listing different pairs in the same "stack" multiple times is on purpose! It makes the situation clearer, and also enables people to find specific pairs that they can complete the merges on.

I'm still not sure whether I like this change or not. :-)

9/6/2010 at 1:36 PM

OK Shmuel - but then each of these pairs shall have direct link to the others in "stack" or at least to give information that there are 35 similar merges more...

9/6/2010 at 2:07 PM

I agree.

Private User
9/6/2010 at 4:53 PM

If you see several copies of a name, then click on the name, rather than the complete merge link, and you will get the profile as if you came in from the tree. Then you can easily get to the familiar carousel.

This would be even easier if we could sort the merge center by name, then we would know if there was a stack.

9/7/2010 at 8:39 PM

Things I would like to see in the merge center:

At least 50 profiles per page.
Return to same page you were on after merge, not page 1.
More page numbers to select from, It takes several clicks and a lot of waiting to get from page 1 to page 25 say.
All columns sortable.

Showing 1-30 of 38 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion