The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

Adoption

Started by Gail Foster on Sunday, September 5, 2010

Participants:

• Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
Showing all 4 posts
9/5/2010 at 4:25 PM

I've searched this whole website in an attempt to figure out how to mark someone on my family tree as being adopted. At least 3 people on my tree were adopted (my grandma and two of my great aunts), so I would like to know how to show that someone was adopted. Does anyone know? Please tell me if you do. Thank you!

Private User
9/5/2010 at 6:30 PM

Gail,

I have a similar question for a friend. I believe it's a development effort for geni and on their plate, but I think we want to develop a consensus for "best workaround" until then.

Private User
9/5/2010 at 11:36 PM

Have you read this thread on the Forum?
http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=28541

As for Adoption to show in the tree there are two differetn situations:

1. A child that is adopted and where the biological parents are not known. (This will be the case for most modern adoptions in Europe.) You might want to have a special way to mark this, but currently there is none, except that you might:
* describe it in the About field of parents and child
* indicate birthplace (for most adoptions in Norway the children are born in different parts of the world, typically Korea, China, India, Colombia, Ethiopia, so it would be an indication of adoption)

2. A child grows up as foster child or adopted by someone else that could be a relative or someone else you know. In the tree you wish to show both sets of parents.

This is explained by Mike and others in the Forum. It will however lead to there being a "yellow triangle" in the tree showing "unresolved conflict" and Geni has not yet found a way to change this into "adopted: two sets of parents" where it would be possible to mark one set as biological and the others as adopted or foster parents.

Earlier this was quite typical in Norway: a child from a family with many children or born from parents who were not married would grow up with an uncle and aunt who were childless. In such cases I'd put the child with their "real" biological parents but describe the situation in the involved profiles.

9/6/2010 at 2:40 PM

Thank you for your help. I do not know the biological parents of any of the adopted women in my family, but I'll be sure to mark that they were adopted in the the "About Me" section.
Thanks again,
Gail

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion