Geni Pro
  • Anchit
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
Bütün mesajları (14) gösteriyor
Private User
10/9/2010 at 9:34 ÖÖ

Since last evening, every time I try to log in to Geni, I've been getting a "WARNING YOUR COMPUTER IS BEING ATTACKED". My Norton is blocking it, but it keeps popping up. Is anyone else having this problem? It's only happening when I'm trying to log into Geni. I'm technologically challenged. Thanks.

Private User
10/9/2010 at 10:16 ÖÖ

Yes. I am getting the same message.

Anchit
10/9/2010 at 10:42 ÖÖ

I got the same message today

10/9/2010 at 12:26 ÖS

I'm getting attacks from Geni's servers as well. Apparently they have been infected with some sort of malware.

Until they resolve the issue, make sure your antivirus software is up-to-date, and whatever you do, do NOT follow any prompts to download software that will supposedly "fix" the problem. (This is what malware programs like to tell you, when the truth is they're trying to get you to infect yourself.)

Private User
10/9/2010 at 12:53 ÖS
10/9/2010 at 2:25 ÖS

Geoffrey Trowbridge can you tell me which page is prompting you to download software?

Private User
10/9/2010 at 2:41 ÖS

Let me guess: You are using Norton?

10/9/2010 at 4:43 ÖS

@Michael: The page doesn't seem to matter, but FWIW, it always seems to occur within 15 to 30 seconds after logging in. The user's browser window gets hijacked and redirected to the host site for the malware. Once there, the user is in an endless loop that can only be ended by closing the browser.

Screenshot: http://GeoffTrowbridge.info/GeniMalware.jpg

Note that the Google Chrome browser will no longer allow any user to access Geni.com without first acknowledging that the site is known to host malware and could be dangerous.

10/9/2010 at 4:55 ÖS

I've been using Chrome to access Geni all day and haven't seen any sort of security warnings.

Private User
10/9/2010 at 5:05 ÖS

I just tried to log out and in again and does not see any problems either.

Googeled on the names listed in your snapshot and these trojans are spread through instant messenger systems.

Using AIM, Live Messenger or similar?

Private User
10/9/2010 at 5:10 ÖS

Logged in as well with Chrome and there was no warnings, so the must come from your Internet security, not Chrome.

10/9/2010 at 6:25 ÖS

Those warnings are not from ANY security software. Those warnings are coming from existing Malware already on your system.

In the last 48hrs there has been a new email worm making the rounds. As an IT admin we had one of our employees hit by it.

Take a look at that screen shot, if you don't work IT you would never know that what you are seeing is Malware trying to convince you to click on it and install more Malware. I've seen this time and time again where it looks so real, but it's not.

As to why it's only attacking Geni ? Something unique about Geni is triggering it into action. Could be the login, could be https access, could be a keyword on one of the Geni webpages.

If what you are seeing looks anything like that screen shot you need to have your machine looked at by a professional. I've cleaned dozens of infections like this one. I'm sure I'll see more in the future.

11/9/2010 at 3:18 ÖS

We've temporarily disabled the ads on our site. Can someone confirm or refute whether this resolves the Trojan scam?

Private User
11/9/2010 at 7:05 ÖS

For the first time in two day's I just got onto Geni without getting the "Attack" popup. I tried it on my husband's account also, and it was fine. The popup was still there this morning.Thanks.

Bütün mesajları (14) gösteriyor

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion