• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member
Showing all 8 posts
Private User
9/13/2010 at 1:40 PM

To our dear CURATORS, do you know if there is a GLOSSARY of Geni terms and how to find it?
For instance, I would like to know which family members are encompassed in the term FAMILY GROUP; how far back do you consider family members to be ANCESTORS, and so an.
If we don't have such an instrument, I would like other users to chime in about its importance and to add terms they would like to see under such glossary.

Private User
9/13/2010 at 1:51 PM

Most of this is covered in the geni FAQ, which you get to from the "Help" hyperlink at the bottom of every page:

I agree that a "quick glossary" may be a nice little project, but before we put that on the curator plate, would you be kind enough to see if the existing geni documentation does it for you?

Private User
9/13/2010 at 1:52 PM

Also check the blog for "breaking news" ...

http://blog.geni.com

9/13/2010 at 2:14 PM

You may find the wiki useful, especially this section: http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Category:Glossary

Keep in mind this is all user generated, so if you find a mistake, please feel free to correct it!

Private User
9/13/2010 at 2:26 PM

Thank you Erica, you are a godsend.
I will try the link and see what it has to offer.
i know that many things are available, but not in an intuitive and simple way.

Private User
9/13/2010 at 2:43 PM

Hi Erica,
I am right now on the FAQ page, and right off the bat I can see one deficiency, it is not alphabetized.
It will take quite a while to read all that is available and digest it, so I am going to just add that this should remain a topic of discussion, and that other users should help in fine tuning such a possible GLOSSARY, within which links to different topics could facilitate the search.

Private User
9/13/2010 at 2:44 PM

Daniel,

Use the Wiki page Noah Tutak (BTW, he's the president of Geni) linked for you, and get it going! A fabulous project that curators will be happy to work with you on.

Private User
9/13/2010 at 4:49 PM

In general on websites, categories get placed in alphabetical order.. Frequently asked questions normally are geared to be the most frequently asked at the top and what the administration feels applicable otherwise they have some sort of suggestion box at most. Generally speaking.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion