NAME SPELLING

Started by Private User on Monday, September 13, 2010

Participants:

Showing all 9 posts
Private User
9/13/2010 at 3:23 PM

A very important issue in research and merges of families is spelling.
We know for a fact that many names and surnames can and are spelled in different ways.
I'll give my surname as an example: Levy, a name that comes directly from the Bible, but it is spelled differently depending from which countries the ancestors came from, for example: Levi, Lowy, Lowi, Loewy, Loevi, and who knows how many other ways, while it is one of the shortest and simplest surnames.
As a tool, when I enter a name on the SEARCH NAME link on top right, it should give me all the possible variations of Levy, like it is done at the Yad Vashem site. This should be true also for first names.

Private User
9/13/2010 at 4:37 PM

There is a Soundex search option available, Daniel.

Private User
9/13/2010 at 6:30 PM

Robert, thank you, but it would have been helpful if you provided where or how to find and use the Soundex for the average user like me.

Private User
9/13/2010 at 7:21 PM

Relatives > Search > Options > Soundex

Private User
9/14/2010 at 6:07 AM

Robert, you were right about the Soundex, but it does not work for me, since I am not one of the privileged Geni PRO.
The system is biased towards the HAVES.

9/14/2010 at 6:10 AM

Considering your specific example of Levi, it is worth noting that "plain" Soundex does NOT work very well for Slavic of Jewish names. Geni has stated they might add DM-Soundex at a later stage.

You would be suprised just how many Jews/Israelis are on Geni. We have four MOT in the Curator group of 24! I recently translated a Hebrew headstone for Noah Tutak, Geni's President.

Shmuel-Aharon Kam, a Levi
Geni Curator

Private User
9/14/2010 at 6:15 AM

Shmuel, I am confused about what you are: a LEVI or a COHEN?

9/14/2010 at 6:18 AM

I'm a Levi. The Kahn name was one of those Ellis Island glitches (~1890), and confusing as it was to EVERY one, I changed it back to the source.

Private User
9/14/2010 at 6:26 AM

Shmuel, by the way, I realized long ago how many Jews/Israelis are on Geni.
Therefore that should be an extra incentive to do it NOW, not in the future.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion