How does one invite friends to Join Geni if they are not current members?

Started by Private User on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Participants:

Showing all 14 posts
Private User
9/14/2010 at 9:06 AM

If someone would be so kind as to provide some direction here; it certainly would prevent the hustle and bustle of the normal everyday life process. Thanks a bunch.

Private User
9/14/2010 at 9:10 AM

I know I saw it somewhere but may be confusing it with become friends or something of that nature - Not sure at the moment.. Busy and lacking Sleep.

Private User
9/14/2010 at 9:23 AM

Ed, I have found it.
To invite people unrelated to you as FRIENDS you go to TREE < SHARE <
SHARE WITH FRIENDS.
The only thing I don't like about it, it gives your e-mail address and you are supposed to give your friend your password ??

Private User
9/14/2010 at 9:38 AM

That doesn't make much sense, Password? That would eliminate privacy above all things and we know we can simply create an account for a person, however that would violate that persons privacy.

Is there a better way?.. Inquiring minds want to know.

Private User
9/14/2010 at 9:50 AM

That is not what I see - The second box allows to invite and all that is required is their email address and click the invite button, I imagine once they view then they are likely prompted to create an account?

Private User
9/14/2010 at 10:23 AM

Hi,

This is not difficult, you can invite anyone to be your Geni friend through entering their email address.

You just have to find exactly where: Go to your own profile page and scroll down to see the list of friends on the right side. Whether you have many already or none, their will be a field for inviting more friends.

@Daniel Levy: you are thinking of the function of letting Geni go through your email address book. This is a different feature, and requires you to add your email password, yes. However this method is not necessary to invite friends.

Private User
9/14/2010 at 11:08 AM

I think there is some misunderstanding here.. In order to invite friends from where you are directing Daniel they would already have to be a member of Geni.

Is that about right? I think my method is the method of going about the invite to external friends? I could be wrong, though I doubt it.

Thank you for that feedback - All is good.

Private User
9/14/2010 at 11:16 AM

Edward: no, not at all - this is where you add a person's email address to generate a "you are invited to join Geni and see XXX's tree". I have invited over 100 people to be my friends that way :-)

They have to register as Geni users, and some of these invitees will start building their trees - and maybe be able to hook up to a common ancestor later.

Private User
9/14/2010 at 11:21 AM

Hi Anne,

Well said and done! Much appreciated. Though while the other route seems lengthier it does actually accomplish the same, does it not?

Private User
9/14/2010 at 11:24 AM

Hi Anne,
I take for granted that you are right, but I am one of those Guinea pigs with the new look profile that DOES NOT HAVE the list of "friends" on it.
So how do I proceed?

Private User
9/14/2010 at 11:28 AM

That is very amusing, unfortunate but a good laugh.. Which was well needed.

Private User
9/14/2010 at 11:48 AM

Another challenge. We might want to see if perhaps Michael Stangel knows.

9/14/2010 at 12:14 PM

For users in our profile test group, the friends module is on the new Activity tab.

9/14/2010 at 1:53 PM

Yep, what Noah said. :-)

To clarify regarding the Tree/Share and the password prompt, Anne Marit is exactly right; if you use an web-based email program like GMail, HotMail, etc we can import your address book for you, at which point you will be shown all of the entries in your address book and given the option to invite one or more of them to join Geni. This is especially handy when you're ready to tell dozens of friends about Geni. :-)

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion