Curator Notes

Started by Marvin Caulk, (C) on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 28 posts
9/14/2010 at 2:24 PM

I ran across a merge today and one had the following Curitors note

"Curator Note from Janet Palo-Jackson: FMG does not have a birth date, states wife is unknown. Please do not add to these to this profile"

Now the one that was waiting to be merged was the same as the one that had the note, but of course had a bith date. So of course I did not merge it. So assuming no one else merges it, what happens to it and the other profiles atached to it. Are they just going to be left hanging out there? I understand the warning "a work in progress" but this warning seems to leave other identcal files hanging in the wind!

9/14/2010 at 2:44 PM

Great question Marvin..I wondered about the same...

Private User
9/14/2010 at 3:26 PM

Perhaps you should just merge the profiles and then delete the birthdate?

9/14/2010 at 3:30 PM

Marvin I am going to link this discussion to the Discussions...Attention Curators Please assist...

http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000009835758162

Private User
9/14/2010 at 4:30 PM

I am merging my way through, as I verify parents and spouse. I am erasing birth dates and leaving the wife unknown, and yes, I am sending the other wives to the winds.

My source, FMG, is listed in the overview.

Other wording for the curators' note accepted.

Private User
9/14/2010 at 7:17 PM

My method is to go ahead with the merge and delete out the bad data, including unlinking erroneous parentage. If I merge something that has a curator's note from someone else, that's what I'd do.

Private User
9/14/2010 at 7:31 PM

In case I wasn't clear -- in other words, for merges I am doing as a "manager," I follow the directive given in the curator's note, and go ahead with the work as far as my permissions take me.

9/14/2010 at 10:36 PM

I think Janet's note is clear: do not add birthdate (and wife) to the profile. That means that you can merge the duplicates together but, as Peter Dutton suggests, then remove the incorrect birthdate that got merged in and remove (detach, if you are able to do so as a Pro) the wrong wife.

If you are not able to detach the wife, then you can message the curator and ask her or him to do so.

Private User
9/15/2010 at 7:29 AM

Does this mean you can delite people you really don't care to have in your tre out of your tree and still merge certain profiles.?

Private User
9/15/2010 at 7:34 AM

Judith -

No, it does not mean you can pick and choose your tree.

The goal is to have a documented tree. I am removing spouses from THAT specific profile, because the best medieval source available says spouse unknown. When I started working on that profile Thomas had seven different spouses, some of which were the spouses of his grandson and great-grandsons.

As a curator, it is my responsibility to document my changes, to match the historic record, and to discuss compromises when the historical record is unclear.

Private User
9/15/2010 at 7:58 AM

Thank you! just curious since when you merge a profile sometimes you end up with a confusing bunch of people you never don't know nor do you want to know! So I just ignore them. like they are not there. i have enough to do keeping my own straight. That's why I prefer to do a master chart on paper so I am able to look at the whole thing at once.. On geni you can only look at small segments at a time. I like to whole picture. Of course my chart is massive and it so long that you could roll it out from room to room but that's okay.

Private User
9/15/2010 at 8:13 AM

I wish i could do a paper chart. but it would be so tangled as to be useless. The Early American Quakers in the mid-atlantic thoroughly intermarried.

9/15/2010 at 8:23 AM

Janet wrote:

"As a curator, it is my responsibility to document my changes, to match the historic record, and to discuss compromises when the historical record is unclear."

Absolutely well put! And this is what we all should be doing, curator or not. It is just responsible history-writing.

Private User
9/15/2010 at 11:58 AM

@Judith Ann Ioubris
There is a BIG difference between deleting a profile and disconnecting it. If you delete it, it is gone forever. Try to avoid deleting any profile. It creates more headaches than you can imagine.

DISCONNECTING a profile severs the relationship but leaves the profile in the database. If it's in the database, we can find it again if we need to link it to a profile.

The preferred method in Geni is to merge profiles whenever possible, correct any errors, resolve any conflicts of information between the merged profiles and see if you have created additional merge issues (usually, the spouse and/or parent gets duplicated in a merge).

Even if we can't stand a relative, he or she is still a relative and has a rightful place in history and in our trees. We can't selectively edit the tree that way.

I hope you understand.
Regards,
Maria

Private User
9/15/2010 at 7:30 PM

As I said I only asked out of curiosity. I find when merging you think you are merging one profile yet sometimes you ended up with a whole lot of individuals you don't need, don't want,don't care about. So basically i will do what I have been doing ignoring all of them and only paying attention to what directly pertains to my line. it's nice they are there but they are just that there. Judy

Private User
9/15/2010 at 8:11 PM

Erica On the subject of Myles Standish . he was married to Rose 1st. When she died he married Sarah Winslow dau of John Winslow. Sarah was married a total of three times. 1st to Myles Standish,2nd to Tobias Payne/Paine and 3rd to Richard middlecott. The payne/paine line is the one that goes own to mary taylor as I said before. try mayflower descendant a quaterly Magazine for more info. The Myles Standish John Smith story i related earily is well known in this area. Judy

Private User
9/15/2010 at 8:14 PM

Judith,

Very good timing for your note, thank you! I just finished cleaning up around his profile so can make sure it's all correct over the next few days. Thanks again.

Private User
9/16/2010 at 4:14 AM

Well hope it helps. It's the Payne/Paine end that connect to us in several ways. sarah Winslow and payne works there way down to Taylor to james Taylor's daugheter Mary. More Paynes work there way down to my end of taylor in another way. Judy

9/17/2010 at 8:10 PM

I have different & conflicting info. on Myles Standish (of the Mayflower). I do have his first wife being Rose, but his second wife being Barbara AllenBarbara Sarah Standish

9/17/2010 at 8:31 PM
Private User
9/18/2010 at 1:38 AM

According to NEHGS:

Myles Standish married 1. Rose 2. Barbara.

He did not marry Sarah Winslow.

However, his son (also name Myles) did marry Sarah Winslow.

http://www.newenglandancestors.org/research/services/articles_7259.asp

http://www.newenglandancestors.org/research/services/articles_7269.asp

Private User
9/18/2010 at 4:36 AM

As far as I know Barbara Standish was Myles Standish's mother . I believe his 2nd wife was Sarah Winslow. Al tho some places have sarah as his son's. Most places has Sarah as his wife and he was in the market for a 2nd wife when he approached John Alden to ask for him Pricilla Mullins to marry him. And course we know who she ended up marrying! wife. Judy

Private User
9/18/2010 at 4:44 AM

Thank you I found it both ways. Originally thought it was the son but then found it a couple of different places as the father. I figured which ever way it was one of you would pick me up on it. Thanks again . I am not connected with Miles at all. It's Winslow and Paine/Payne that comes down to my Taylor's sister, half sister. I was just trying to help. And takes for the Plymouth info. You know I live only maybe and hour and a half away from there and have never seen the plantation. been to the library there but no further .Maybe I'll get there soon before the snow flews. Love to go there around Thanksgiving since I had people on both sides of the fence down at the time of the Pilgrams

Private User
9/18/2010 at 4:47 AM

Heather according to someone who just emailed me . It was Myles 's son Myles jr who was married to Sarah. Something I mention I wasn't sure of to you earlier. So that is corrected now. Judy

Private User
9/18/2010 at 4:50 AM

Check out info on Plymouth Plantation I just received from Kim according to them Barbara was Myles's wife. Doesn't give last name. Judy

9/18/2010 at 10:18 AM

Private User@kim Thanks for the link to NEHGS!!!

Private User
9/18/2010 at 10:35 AM

@Marvin George Caulk and @Judith Ann loubris you're welcome!

Private User
9/18/2010 at 10:40 AM

P.S. The info on Myles (and his son also named Myles who married Sarah Winslow) is also covered in that first PDF which @Heather (Fachet) Bond posted previously.

Showing all 28 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion