The profile you requested has been merged into this profile.

Easy TRANSFER OF DOCUMENTS from old Documents to SOURCES.

Started by Private User on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member
Showing all 13 posts
Private User
9/14/2010 at 6:07 PM

Hello Curators,
Is there an easy way to transfer over 200 documents, mostly Pages of Testimony from Yad Vashem, from the document section to the corresponding profile of the person on the tree?
If not, can something be worked out so we don't have to spend too much time searching for a document when we need to take a second look at it.

Private User
9/14/2010 at 9:58 PM

If you upload a document to one profile, in the next screen you can associate it with multiple profiles by "tagging." It works very well and I believe will give you the results you're looking for (a link to the same document on each individual profile). Let me know if you need help walking through it.

Private User
9/14/2010 at 10:02 PM

Well, this is not an area I'm well versed with, though I imagine much like Photos get loaded into specific albums, I would say what makes the most sense is that all documents you upload and place in someones profile, should also be retained in a "folder" within one's own profile as well under the documents tab - First for easy access but it also links that document to the profile you originally added it for, hence, a change from your end, creates the change in the other individuals profile.

From a common sense perspective that would make the most sense - Either way, you should be able to have quick access to documents you've uploaded and retain them under that tab as suggested above, no differently than an "album" which retains the content (Photos) that you upload, because it's your "Album" which only you have full control over.

In addition on the "Album" topic there is a move feature - a MOVE AS COPY WOULD NOT BE A BAD IDEA. That actually could be applicable to the documents, in the thought of retention then it's a copy that could actually be placed in the desired profile - In a manner like who is in this picture type field format, where the name appears and changes as you type.

Food for thought.

Private User
9/14/2010 at 10:09 PM

If you go to "all my documents" you will see you can arrange them into "collections," add tags, citations, locations, dates, make them private, make them public, and most importantly -- associate them with any profile you manage.

Once your document is in your collection, you use use the "add sources" button to associate it with a verifiable fact -- and bingo, we finally have valid genealogical original source material in our profiles. (Those fields could use expansion in my opinion as they are just vitals so far.) Way underused and could use tweaking, but the fact that it's there and DRASTICALLY UNDERUSED by the USERS is on us, not geni. :) :)

Private User
9/14/2010 at 10:19 PM

Sounds good to me Erica - Hopefully that will do wonders for Daniel, I was under the assumption that he did not retain those documents in any collections, though he is one of the randomly selected under the revised look within profiles.

I wouldn't really know either way because that, as you commented is certainly under used, in my case - But collections, Folders, whatever the title, it should be retained as your own for further revisions, placement or what have you.

Private User
9/14/2010 at 10:24 PM

Yes, that's the idea. For instance you could probably filter looking at your documents by the "birth" collection.

BTW you add links from the internet very quickly and easily, and create your own text document. I really think it's nifty, particularly if you make the document "public."

We have on the plate developing a "geni library."

Private User
9/14/2010 at 10:30 PM

I can smell the stew cooking.. Keep me posted when it ready to be served or rather, Plated ; ^))

Been fun chatting and I actually think we've had some good input here - I'm off to other things that I have to tend to though it's been a pleasure.

Private User
9/14/2010 at 10:32 PM

Great to meet you, Ed!

Private User
9/14/2010 at 10:37 PM

Likewise Erica! I'm sure these post will be of help to Daniel when he sees them, likely in the morning. All the best.

Onward..

Private User
9/15/2010 at 4:58 AM

Erica, I appreciate your help, but since I have the NEW LOOK PROFILE, I am not sure your reply applies to me. I will have to look more into it, but I'll let you know once I have grasped the complexities.
A propos of my last word, everything on Geni should be SIMPLE so the average user who is not sophisticated in the use and terminology of the computer could EASILY navigate it and learn by trial and error.

Private User
9/15/2010 at 6:28 AM

It's getting there. I worked in software development and I have to tell you, the pace of enhancements in geni is quite impressive.

Private User
9/16/2010 at 1:36 PM

ERICA, I finally got to work again on documents and trying to follow your advise from 9/14/10 at 10:09 PM, yet I don't know what tags means.
Also when I press on collection and don't see what i need, you have OTHER
as a fixed name, but it should really be a tag that allows you to create many different categories to fit your needs, without having to include apples and bananas under the same label.

Private User
9/16/2010 at 1:40 PM

ERICA, one more problem, do I describe the document or its content?
I think both are important. What do you think?

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion