• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
Showing all 7 posts
Private User
9/16/2010 at 5:51 AM

Can anybody tell me if they are experiencing a similar problem:
When I am editing a profile and adding Place of Birth, it accepts it, shows it, but when I return to the profile page the name IS GONE.

Private User
9/16/2010 at 1:46 PM

Any CURATOR, I tried again to edit a profile and add place of birth, but to no avail, can you please look into it and let me know if there is a problem with that.Thanks.

Private User
9/16/2010 at 1:58 PM

I guess that you are using the simple location field, which, depending on your browser language or if you try to add a historical place, does in general work bad, because it is using the mechanism behind is using Google Map.

Click on the "> Edit Location Details" below the field and add whatever you want, without any auto corrections (except if you have enabled auto-complete which is a browser, not Geni problem).

There was however a problem with yesterdays release where they forgot the County field, but that is fixed now.

Private User
9/16/2010 at 2:07 PM

BJORN, it did work the way you said, a bit more cumbersome, but doable.

Private User
9/16/2010 at 2:30 PM

The simple location field which are using Google Map for lookup is only working well for living profiles of today, simply because it does not support historical places, and even if correct only English version of the names, which in most cases is an insult to people from those areas.

Private User
9/16/2010 at 2:56 PM

BJORN, it is good information to know, although in many cases I see different spellings for the same town, different names altogether, and other times towns with the same names in the same or different country, which makes it very difficult when you are not from that region and can't ascertain which town our ancestors are describing.

Private User
9/16/2010 at 3:50 PM

Hopefully locations will be localized as well as a part of further internationalization (i18n), and as a part if this I have started to use the ISO language codes in the country field, which seem to be be supported already since they are spelled out in English in the profile view.

Getting correct name is however a big challenge, especially for those who are not familiar with foreign places, and if you are unsure you should just enter whatever you have from your source in the first field of the location details.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion