Translation help (French -> English)

Started by Private User on Sunday, September 19, 2010

Participants:

Showing all 19 posts
Private User
9/19/2010 at 5:36 AM

I need some assistance translating a French baptism document. Can anyone help. Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54046744@N05/5004339344/

Private User
9/19/2010 at 5:41 AM

Here is another one that I need help with.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54046744@N05/5004352222/

9/19/2010 at 6:48 AM

Hello Jeff,

I document 98 % of the time in french and am ready to help you out when you need a translation.

Also the PRDH based in Montreal I believe have summaries of acts un to about 1800, in English.

Finally all 3 types of acts are written in the same way. I could give you the translation of key words that could allow you to dig out the essential info most times.

As you wish,

Private User
9/19/2010 at 6:56 AM

Paul, that would be great! Thanks

Michael
9/19/2010 at 7:02 AM

Jeff what I do is use Google translator to help, most all baptisms are written in the same manner.
Genevieve St Georges basically says that on the 9th day of April in the year 1848 presented before us for baptism is Genevieve from the legitimate marriage of Charles St George dit Laporte cultivator (farmer) and his spouse Adiele? (can't make out) Baril, witness godfather Charles Baril and godmother Olive Boucher. They do not know how to sign their names.

Private User
9/19/2010 at 7:05 AM

I usually try Google translator as well, but the pictures are more difficult as I don't recognize the word to spell it properly. Thanks for the translation.

9/19/2010 at 7:30 AM

Hi Jeff,

Here's the translation as it should be:

April 19 1948, we the undersigned priest have baptized Genevieve born this morning of the legitimate marriage of Charles St. George dit Laporte, farmer and Adele Baril of this parish. Charles Baril Godfather, Olive Boucher Godmother and the father did not sign.

F.Quévillon, priest

9/19/2010 at 7:40 AM

Hi again Jeff, Here's the other translation for Marie Adeline Plouffe :

Marie Adeline Plouffe

On November 19, 1890, we undersigned priest and vicar have baptized Marie Adeline, born this day, legitimate daughter of Jerôme Plouffe, farmer, and Matilda Charbonneau of this parish. The godfather was Pierre Maillé farmer undersigned and the godmother was Olivine Paquette undersigned.

Denis

Private User
9/19/2010 at 8:26 AM

Awesome! Thanks Denis :-)

Private User
9/19/2010 at 8:47 AM

Hi Jeff,
I'll help you as much as I can. Just e-mail me. Claire

Private User
9/19/2010 at 9:27 AM

There is a website www.freetranslation.com where you can enter one language and it will give you a "rough" translation for various languages. For a fee, they will give an exact translation. For genealogy purposes, the free version might work.

Private User
9/19/2010 at 4:21 PM

Jeff

Sorry, I know no Fench.

Paul Dayhoff

Private User
9/21/2010 at 6:17 AM
Private User
10/3/2010 at 11:44 AM
10/4/2010 at 9:53 AM

Hi Jeff,

Here's the translation of the first from yesterday's post, I will look at the other ones when I have more time.

This one is for the Lacourse Birth certificate

" On May 4, 1841, we the undersigned priest baptized unconditionally Joseph Eugene, born the same day of the legitimate marriage of Joseph Lacourse, Carpenter and Marguerite Croisetière. By these initials, the Godfather Isaïe Richer, the Godmother Eloïse Lacourse, sister of the child and the brother said they did not know how to sign. "

Private User
12/5/2010 at 5:48 AM

Here is another one that I could use some help translating. Marriage between Gabriel and Marie.
http://assets1.geni.com/media/p12/02/a0/eb/ba/534448386c8578a1/Gabr...

12/5/2010 at 9:57 AM

This is a standard document: Marraige 1817-02-17 in Nicolet Qc.

Descôteaux Gabiel is the son of Pierre labourer, and Charlotte Boisvert.

Marie Lampron is the under aged daughter of the farmer Augustin Lampron called Lacharité and his wife Marianne St-Jean.

All from this parish.

Presents were Antoine Moulin, Antoine Floran (?), Joseph Provencher and Joseph Lampron and several others (unnamed).

All declared themselves "illiterates.

Thus no signatures except the priest.

Private User
12/5/2010 at 6:16 PM

Thanks!

12/7/2010 at 6:56 AM

Hi Jeff, here's the entire translation of the wedding certificate. Sorry for the delay, it's a busy time of the year.

On February 17, 1817 after the publication of three banns of marriage made by three consecutive Sundays from the pulpit of the parish Masses in this church between Gabriel Descoteaux, major son of Pierre Descoteaux, laborer of this parish and Charlotte Boisvert, having found no Impediment to marriage which said respective parents have consented. We, the undersigned priest, at the invitation of the parish priest have received their mutual consent to marriage and have given them the nuptial blessing in the form of the Holy Roman Church in the presence of Antoine Moulin Antoine Floran, Joseph Provencher , Joseph Lampron and others who all said they could not sign and Marie Lampron, minor daughter of Augustus Lacharité Lampron said, a farmer of this parish and St. John says Marianne Dauphinée. This reference.

Showing all 19 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion