• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 571-600 of 746 posts
11/9/2010 at 6:43 PM

The "removes" boggle my mind.... and the discussion does too... I have to read the posts over and over to get it... lol

11/9/2010 at 7:14 PM

Everyone sing along:

I'm my own grandpa, I'm my own grandpa,
It sounds funny I know, but it really is so,
oooh, I'm my own grandpa.

(You'll just have to look up the lyrics for the rest of it...)

Private User
11/9/2010 at 7:27 PM

I think we should consider 2 main points regarding relationships;

1. at this moment there some kind of a "bug" on the site regarding the path between 2 people. for example; my 8th great grandfather's brother is shown as my 9th great uncle.

2. the relationships are established by ages and generations of the mother and father. for example I have 4th cousins that are around my father's age, and this is due to 2nd marriages and late fatherhood in the male lines.

hope that's help a little and now we should go back to topic?
:-)

11/9/2010 at 7:33 PM

Hi Offir:

I don't think that's a bug. Remember that your father is your grandfather's son, and your uncle is your father's brother, therefore it would make perfect sense that your 8th great grandfather's brother is your 9th great uncle. Confusing, eh?

So what's everyone doing for American Thanksgiving Day? (As opposed to Canadian Thanksgiving, which I think is already passed by...?)

11/9/2010 at 7:38 PM

So Ben...of the many times that song has been covered, which do you own?

Private User
11/9/2010 at 8:11 PM

I'm planning to go to Brunei for their version of American Thanksgiving.

There's a wonderful story I read - oh, it must have been in The New Yorker when I was going through a pretentious phase - about cooking a traditional American Thanksgiving meal in rural Italy. Involved bribing customs agents to import something or other from France, I think, and the turkey obtaining story was pretty priceless. Turns out they don't grow in Italy, who knew.

Which reminds me of a Project idea - Great Cooks ....

And what's that Southern thing? A goose inside a duck inside a turkey?

Private User
11/9/2010 at 8:37 PM

Turducken!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken

Turducken was the main course for Christmas dinner in The Dead Zone episode "A Very Dead Zone Christmas", originally aired December 2005 (season 4, episode 12).

See also

* Whole stuffed camel

I don't want to look at the link there ...

Private User
11/9/2010 at 8:39 PM

OK I did it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_stuffed_camel

Whole stuffed camel is claimed to be a traditional Bedouin wedding dish, served at the weddings of sheikhs and of their family members.[1] Like turducken, which is a recipe consisting of birds stuffed with birds and which has become popular in North America, a whole stuffed camel is a culinary delicacy composed of a medium-sized camel stuffed with a sheep or a lamb stuffed with other ingredients.

A posting on Snopes[2] describes references in the recipe that might lead the reader to the conclusion that the recipe is, in fact, a joke, including instructions to "skin, trim, and clean the camel (once you get over the hump)...".

11/9/2010 at 11:29 PM

Erica: Yeek! Carnivorous turkeys and geese? Poor ducks... Thanksgiving just gets weirder and weirder each year.

My family has done traditional Thanksgiving in Belarus. Didn't require any bribes, but we had to make do without cranberry sauce and yams (we had popcorn and mashed potatoes of course). Turkeys came from a nearby meat processing farm. (At the time, we had no idea about the family Mayflower connection...)

My favorite Thanksgiving memory though has to be yams flambe, presented in a friends cabin in Fairbanks, Alaska. Went well with turkey pelmeni...

Anita: I haven't begun my career as a recording artist yet. I think, though, that my recording career could be quite successful, if I get people to pay me not to record anything more...

Private User
11/9/2010 at 11:37 PM

It might have been a novel by the late great Robert Parker which described a first Turducken encounter.

Although I could be mixing that up with the still kicking and arguably greater Elmore Leonard ... no. Parker is the author of the Boston Foodie gumshoe.

So what do you do in Chile for Thanksgiving? Are the turkeys local or farmed?

And why haven't you gone anywhere with the Bedouin Wedding dishes? Harems don't appeal?

11/10/2010 at 1:04 AM

Hi Erica:

Can't think of for the life of me any Bedouin Mayflower passengers... though they certainly did regard a lot of things as what would be called "harem" ("forbidden"). Not sure that any of the Mayflower-children would have gotten the whole right hand/left hand thing, and probably would have blown their nose at the dinner table or shown the soles of their feet, and gotten kicked out of their Bedouin host's tent. Thankfully, they landed in Massachusetts rather than North Africa... (how's that?)

So is Robert related to Dorothy?

Private User
11/10/2010 at 1:16 AM

I have been bitterly disappointed to find there is no Dorothy Parker profile in geni, and am currently consoling myself by building out Alfred, Lord Tennyson's family line.

I need a Project to associate Robert Parker with before I even venture there. He's from Springfield, MA so there's a chance he's old New England.

Of course the Dorothy Parker name is by marriage. By birth she's a Rothschild -- but you will be pleased to know that her mother was a Scot.

"Also known as Dot or Dottie, Parker was born Dorothy Rothschild to Jacob Henry and Eliza Annie Rothschild (née Marston) where her parents had a summer beach cottage. Dorothy's mother was of Scottish descent, and her father was of German-Jewish descent (unrelated, however, to the Rothschild banking dynasty)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Parker

Private User
11/10/2010 at 1:19 AM

Pilgrims in North Africa? Don't they do that on the way to Mecca? Hey we did it. They stopped by Brunei of course and that's how Ahmad is related. Cool!

Private User
11/10/2010 at 1:22 AM

Ben M. Angel how on earth did u figure out the math to do it lol

Anita M. Boynton
thanks for the link, thats useful :)

@Erica Howton we dun really celebrate thanksgiving here in brunei but actually i enjoyed it when i was a student way back in the early 1990s, i was in liverpool, UK (the beatles eh)... anyway, we have other celebrations which is jointly celebrated with our beloved monarch such as eid mubarak etc, its a huge party and ur most welcome to join us :)

11/10/2010 at 1:25 AM

They might, but the turkey has to be halal... however, I don't remember too many pilgrims from Central Asia planning on venturing through Brunei to get to Saudi Arabia. Certainly wouldn't expect too many Bedouins passing through that way. Ahmad would be able to correct that if I'm wrong.

It's probably time for me to sleep. It's morning outside again...

11/10/2010 at 1:26 AM

What? Dorothy is not Marie of Roumania? :)

Private User
11/10/2010 at 1:32 AM

turkey was halal when we had the thanksgiving, coz i bought it myself, it was huge, we ended up eating turkey for a week, sandwiches etc :)

whats up with them bedouins? according to my ancestors list, not too sure if they are bedouins hehe

Private User
11/10/2010 at 2:16 AM

Aren't we glad that we are all related somehow? Someone commented that if Adam and Eve were the first two humans then we are all related anyway!! How long ago did that start? 6,000 years ago? The Egyptians and the Chinese were around for a lot longer than that. Were they not humans then? So who were Adam and Eve and when did they live on Earth?

Private User
11/10/2010 at 2:37 AM

Ahmad and Kamal,

This is a chance for me to give out one of my favorite websites:

http://www.silkroadproject.org/tabid/177/defaul.aspx

"The historical Silk Road comprised a series of land and sea trade routes that crisscrossed Eurasia from the first millennium B.C.E. through the middle of the second millennium C.E. The intersections among people from diverse cultures along the way promoted an unprecedented sharing of commodities, ideas, arts, sciences and innovations."

I do believe that our peoples long since intersected in glorious ways, and that genealogy is just a rediscovery of what our ancestors always knew: we are all cousins.

Private User
11/10/2010 at 2:41 AM

Ahmad, English food is a lot better these days than the early 1990s. :) When you come to New York City next we'll do it up right -- and Halal, that is not a problem here.

Private User
11/10/2010 at 3:13 AM

yes, i also believe that people during those days can live up to 1000 years, so its possibility "-)

Private User
11/10/2010 at 3:16 AM

thnks for the offer erica... last time i went to new york was in 1994 when i was student, a very metropolitan city i must say... and busier than london too...

lol, i remember english food is basically fish and chips with those mushy beans... sometimes u add curry or vinegar... i dun my doctor would allow me to eat such nutritious food these, its mostly boiled with rice... :)

Private User
11/10/2010 at 3:49 AM

ic ant access ur silkroad website... whats it about in a nutshell?? :)

Private User
11/10/2010 at 5:29 AM

The Silk Road gets its name from the lucrative Chinese silk trade, a major reason for the connection of trade routes into an extensive trans-continental network.

Private User
11/10/2010 at 5:30 AM

I tried to post the wikipedia link for you and my network burped. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_Road

11/10/2010 at 10:24 AM

I lived off the Silk Road in two places - Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, and Baku, Azerbaijan. Baku's Old Town still makes a big thing about it, preserving the old Caravanserai near the Maiden Tower and such. And of course there are still old fortification ruins near Issyk Kul, a deep lake that has tons of warm springs resorts on the shores.

Ooops, Mayflower, hehee... somehow we ended up on completely the other side of the world from Massachusetts. How to tie that in... I think Thomas Rogers was selling camel hair cloth when he was in Leiden. Silk Route product? Maybe... :)

12/17/2010 at 4:14 PM

Aloha from Hawaii, Brendon et al. I am a beginner on Geni.com. (2007?) and vistied the Brithish Isles in 1995 to research the "Sills" family. I am wondering if that name appears on the Mayflower passenger list.
The surname "Sills" is derived from variants such as Sill, Silson. The Latin origin means "forrest dweller".
The first established "Sills" was "John Sills" (born in 1610 of Northumberland) who settled in Massachutsetts in 1637. In Canada, John Payne Sills emigrated from Berkshire in 1861.
Is there any Sills, Sill or Silson on the Mayflower passenger list that you are aware of?
Any adivce you can offer regarding my endevors to trace my ancestors is greatly appreciated. Thus far, I have information only as far back as my great-great grandfather Sills.
Thank you

Private User
12/17/2010 at 4:22 PM

Aloha on back to you Stephanie!

25 degrees here in NYC today.:)

I am pretty sure that the name Sills / Sill / Silson is not on the Mayflower passenger list. You can double check for yourself here:

http://www.mayflowerfamilies.com/mayflower/mayflower_passenger_list...

However -- "The Great Migration" of ships from England resulted in thousands of passengers in the years 1625-1640, so arrival of John Sills in 1637 sounds likely enough. There is a cumbersome but useful website here:

http://www.packrat-pro.com/ships/shiplist.htm

12/17/2010 at 8:54 PM

Sending sunshine your way.
Mahalo (thank you).
Fondest Aloha,
Stephanie

12/19/2010 at 11:37 AM

I hesitate to say this... but I do not think the MP profiile of Joseph Rogers is quite right.... perhaps due to some merges that have taken place... I do not see in the MP profile that Tomas Rogers was his father but that there is a ??? Rogers listed as his father, and there are some other anomalies... Please check and see?
I saw it on the profile comparison
http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000000113830631?return=duplic...

Showing 571-600 of 746 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion