• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 601-630 of 746 posts
12/19/2010 at 12:14 PM

I got my info from a number of family trees on ancestry.com, including the Rogers Family Records. There are a number of things that are different on the various trees, and I'm not certain which one is correct, though I lean toward the Rogers tree.

Story Title: Rogers Family Records Location: http://www.accessgenealogy.com/scripts/data/database.cgi?file=Data&... Description: 1. Joseph: 1607-1678; came to America in the Mayflower, 1620; moved from Plymouth to Mass., m. Hannah.
Ch.: Joseph (b. about 1635, died 1660), John (b. about 1642), James (b. about 1648), William (b. about 1655), Thomas (b. about 1638
Submitted By: jdkhale

12/19/2010 at 12:39 PM

Aloha Sally,
It appears that you have valid concerns. While there are some discrepencies and similarities, some data conflicts exist. We can resolve data conflicts by selecting correct entries or cancel merge requests.
Mahalo (Thank you) for pointing this out!
Stephanie (email stephanieterlep@yahoo.com)

Private User
12/20/2010 at 2:49 AM

Everyone,

This list of Mayflower passengers is based on Gov Bradford's inventory as published in "Of Plymouth Plantation" (you can read the book for yourself online several places.

http://www.mayflowerfamilies.com/mayflower/mayflower_passenger_list...

It says about the Rogers:

Rogers, THOMAS Birth by about 1572, son of William and Eleanor (____) Rogers of Watford, Northamptonshire. He died in Plymouth, soon after arrival, although his son JOSEPH, the only of his children to come with him, survived. Bradford notes that "his other children came afterwards," but of those only John Rogers is known to have arrived.

Rogers, JOSEPH son Bp. 23 January 1602/3. Married by 1633 Hanah _____ who is mentioned in his will of 2 January 1677/8. It is not certain that she was his only wife, nor the mother of his children. He died Eastham after January 2, 1677/8 (will) and before Jan. 15, 1677/8 when Joseph's inventory was taken. Buried there in the Old Cove Burial Ground.

Children:

1. Sarah, died as infant;
2. Joseph, prob. born Duxbury 19 July, 1635, m. Eastham 4 April 1660, Susanna Deane, dau. of Stephen and Elizabeth (Ring) Deane, no known children;
3. THOMAS b. prob Duxbury 29 March 1638, m. Eastham, 13 December 1665, Elizabeth Snow;
4. Elizabeth, b. prob. Duxbury, 29 Sept 1639, m. Eastham 9 January 1660, Jonathan Higgins;
5. John, b. prob. Duxbury, 3 April 1642, m. Eastham 19 Aug 1669 Elizabeth Twining;
6. Mary, b. prob Duxbury, 22 Sept 1644, m. Barnstable aft. 19 April 1718, John Phinney;
7. James, b. Eastham 18 Oct. 1648, m. Eastham 11 Jan 1670, Mary Paine;
8. Hannah, b. Sandwich or Eastham 8 Aug 1652, m. aft. 16 July 1679 Jonathan Higgens.

Hope this helps.

12/20/2010 at 3:13 AM

Aloha Kakahiaka (good morning)!
It is 1:07 A.M. in Hawaii and a storm is over the Island of Kauai. Rain yet to come on the Big Island. Kilauea Volcano is erupting so we have the snow on Mauna Kea and the fires in Kilauea at the same time. I have confidence that at least one of our common ancestors or their defendants must have seen these wonders as well.

12/20/2010 at 4:30 AM

Erica.... so.... in order to straighten out the Rogers line... what can we do? Should I go in on my line which apparently is everyone eles line, (I am not complaining about that) should I start taking out relatives that are not right? I mean taking out the connections and thus hope that no one else merges something incorrect in the future. I find that many of my line are done as far as I would like to go for the most part, but the problem is that I have to keep going in to see if A... they are still there, and B... have they been changes to reflect incorrections. I feel like I am constantly in the position of being a house keeper in my trees.... Constantly in the maintenance mode.

12/20/2010 at 4:44 AM

Also... I am unable to edit in my tree, the Thomas Rogers, father of Joseph. I wanted to put in correct info on him, but cannot. And was Joseph really a Lt.? I did not know there were assigned ranks at that time, since we had no standing military at that time? Here is my tree....
http://www.geni.com/family-tree#6000000004575024642

12/20/2010 at 7:01 AM

Private User All the sources I saw have Anna Churchman as the wife of James Rogers. Their daughter, Elizabeth, married my ancestor, Richard Williams.

Richard Williams (immigrant)

12/20/2010 at 7:04 AM

For instance, from the Thomas Rogers Society:

http://www.thomasrogerssociety.com/p1.htm

John Rogers1
M, b. 6 April 1606, d. between 26 August 1691 and 20 September 1692
John Rogers|b. 6 Apr 1606\nd. bt 26 Aug 1691 - 20 Sep 1692|

John Rogers was baptized on 6 April 1606 at Watford, co. Northamptonshire, England. He was the son of Thomas Rogers [Mayflower Pilgrim] and Alice Cosford.2 John Rogers John Rogers probably came to Plymouth about 1630 with the last of the Pilgrims to leave the Separatist enclave. He was first taxed in 1633 at Plymouth and on 20 Oct 1634 he bought a lot at Duxbury from Edmund Chandler. With his brother Joseph and others, he had a grant of fifty acares at Marshfield 6 April 1640. At Duxbury he was a surveyor of highways in 1644, deputy to the General Court in 1657, and constable in 1666. As an "ancient freeman" of the colony, he was granted land at Taunton on 3 June 1662. He had another hundred acres on Coteticutt (Titicut) River in 1667 and in 1673 another hundred acres on the northeast side of Taunto. He is call "weaver" in a deed conveying one acre in Duxbury to Wrestling Brewster in 1680. His will dated 26 Aug 1691 was proved 20 Sept 1692. He married Anna Churchman on 16 April 1639 at Plymouth.1 John Rogers died between 26 August 1691 and 20 September 1692 at Duxbury.
Children of John Rogers and Anna Churchman

* (H)Anna Rogers+3 b. bt 1640 - 1650, d. a 8 Jun 1704
* John Rogers+3 b. c 1640, d. 28 Jun 1732
* Abigail Rogers+3 b. c 1640, d. 1 Aug 1727
* Elizabeth Rogers+3 b. b 1652, d. a 7 Mar 1703

Private User
12/20/2010 at 8:07 AM

Dear Sally Thomas,

I know exactly how exasperated and frustrated you feel.
I have been having the same problems with the Parke family.

At the moment, I continue to try to correct mistakes wherever I can.

I do not want the responsibilities of the curators, so I am unable to
manage technical changes which they are authorized to do.

So far as the title Lt. goes for Joseph Rogers, it may be correct.

Militia groups used terms such as corporal, lieutenant, and captain.
They were formed to protect a village from the Indians. They organized
the leadership to make their work more efficient.

Ethel Johanna Myers Stanton

Private User
12/20/2010 at 8:14 AM

Ben Angel

You have really lived an adventurous life......in far off places of Asia and
South America.

That takes courage and ingenuity.

Ethel Johanna Myers

Private User
12/20/2010 at 8:42 AM

Hatte,

Thank you for posting the Thomas Rogers Society. My understanding is that it's the best resource for Rogers descendants. If you notice, I was focusing on the simpler question of "who were the Mayflower passengers." 26 of them with descendants! Not more!!!! NONE from ROYALTY. :) :) :)

Private User
12/20/2010 at 8:45 AM

Ethel,

I am fortifying myself for another pass at the Parkes. As you know, my last attempt drove me to Margharita-ville ... but glad to have gotten my own Parks of Virginia separated from them. :)

Private User
12/20/2010 at 9:17 AM

Erica:
Excellent information about Thomas Rogers and his son Joseph.

Ethel

Private User
12/20/2010 at 9:36 AM

Sally,

I think it would help if you worked backwards in time -- from most recent on up in your line, sourcing as you go in the "overview / about me" tab.

I am working from Thomas Rogers, "Mayflower" Passenger, and around his immediate family. I'll probably surface again on Wednesday. :) :)

Then we'll check in and see how the pathing and permissions look for all of us. Sound like a plan?

Private User
12/20/2010 at 9:37 AM

P.S. Ben Angel was muttering something about hacksaws to the Rogers tree. I suggested that was out of period so he's off hunting for an obsidian knife. :) :)

12/20/2010 at 10:32 AM

Erica, I have the right info, just cannot go in and put it in. When ever I open my tree I always start from me and work back in time, and that is when I find the errors, back in time... close to the source. ok, I will add any thing i have to each profile as I go along... I will look up all my old paper work I have on the Rogers line that I used to gain membership to the Society of the mayflower Descendants. I am going to have to dig deep, since I have been a member for many years. I hope I can find it all.

Private User
12/20/2010 at 11:31 AM

Sally, why don't you use the online link?

http://www.thomasrogerssociety.com/

You can quickly copy and paste from there to a Word document and work on it off line.

Private User
12/20/2010 at 5:04 PM

Wonderfull, Brendan !

12/20/2010 at 5:38 PM

Erica: No no no... an obsidian hacksaw. Still sawing away (and grafting... lots of grafting)...

Private User
12/20/2010 at 5:39 PM

OMG what happened over there????? You do see my work today? I've been on it for 5 hours straight!

12/20/2010 at 6:13 PM

I've been on it for three days straight... but I'm trying to do preventive as well as corrective action... (everyone in the TRS accepted tree gets an MP - non-MPs eventually get the boot...)

Private User
12/20/2010 at 6:36 PM

How can I help... I'm part of the project, but I'm getting to the discussion late it seems. :-)

Private User
12/20/2010 at 6:39 PM

Jeff -- can you get the MPs loaded to the project? That's one of the biggest pains. Let us know if you don't have access.

Then the second part -- maybe in Project discussions -- is to figure out how to prevent this implosion from happening again. I swear the tree was clean for at least 5 minutes. So something went wrong systemically -- which means we need systemic solutions.

Private User
12/20/2010 at 6:42 PM

Also - are we accepting the sometimes problematic James Rogers as a son of "Mayflower" Thomas Rogers?

The Rogers families should review the evidence and make a decision together on how he is best represented in Geni.

Private User
12/20/2010 at 6:51 PM

Findagrave has James Rogers as the son of John Rogers & Elizabeth Bostwick.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=32476584

James Rogers, of New London

Findagrave is not a great source but they're usually not fantasists either.

Private User
12/20/2010 at 6:56 PM

Erica, do you mean editing the wiki of the project to reflect the links to the MP, or do you mean that we have MP out there of passengers that have not yet been added to the project?

I'll have to read through the discussion to see the implosion your talking about.

Private User
12/20/2010 at 7:09 PM

So which is the master wiki at the moment... the project page or the Geni wiki?

Private User
12/20/2010 at 7:19 PM

The Project page (specifically - the Thomas Rogers descendants project).

I think the Geni Community Wiki is evolving toward more long term help such as FAQ, naming conventions. Projects are more collections of profiles and dedicated discussion around a family line, event, topic, presentation.

So to make a decision about James Rogers, sometimes considered a son of Thomas Rogers the Mayflower Passenger, maybe best done there (and a good way to make sure the Rogers's are in the Project).

Private User
12/20/2010 at 7:21 PM

To see the implosion go here and don't weep too hard. It's better than it was yesterday.

Thomas Rogers, "Mayflower" Passenger

His descendants project is here: http://www.geni.com/projects/Thomas-Rogers-Pilgrim-and-Some-of-His-...

To join it, follow it first, then it will appear in your "drop down" list. Then you can add any public profile you have edit rights to (collaborator or manager) to the Project under "more actions."

Private User
12/20/2010 at 7:47 PM

Interesting... I'll focus first on the ones that I'm descended from. I did some connecting at Thanksgiving and I'm a direct ancestor of 10 mayflower passengers. So I'll focus on making sure these profiles are all clean and accurate.

· Mary Love Brewster – 12th great grandmother

· William Brewster, III – 12th great grandfather

· Francis Cooke – 11th great grandfather

· Hester Cooke (Mahieu) – 11th great grandmother

· Elizabeth Howland (Tilley) – 12th great grandmother

· John Howland, Sr. – 12th great grandfather

· Stephen Hopkins – 11th great grandfather

· Elizabeth Mary Hopkins (Fisher) – 11th great grandmother

· Giles Hopkins – 10th great grandfather

· Peter Browne – 12th great grandfather

Showing 601-630 of 746 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion