Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 631-660 of 746 posts
Private User
12/20/2010 at 7:52 PM

Fabulous! Since we're on a Thomas Rogers roll, maybe do that first, then move on to the Brewster nightmare? The Hopkins are not in bad shape (at lest the last time I drove by).

BTW when I started tree cleanup around Mayflowers I was a 7th/8th cousin. Now I'm a 1st cousin + goobley gook to the Rogers, and a direct line by a marriage somewhere to John Alden. Never had a clue.

Private User
12/20/2010 at 7:57 PM

And again - now that we have Wikitext, we really need to make sure the overview / about me is appropriately sourced out. We just can't rely on the relationships alone to hold thru merges. There needs to be source data.

12/20/2010 at 8:45 PM

Private User - I have been using the "About Me" to put in sources and the most important data so those working on the tree can refer to it, even when the tree is temporarily messed up.

I am following the Thomas Rogers descendants project, it is looking good. Since I'm a direct descendant, I'll help when I have time.

Jeff - I have the genealogy of Stephen Hopkins still in my possession. I promised it to Sally, assuming I don't turn out to be a direct descendant. But I'll hold on to it for the time being so any questions, ask away.

12/20/2010 at 9:10 PM

Thanks, Hatte, for remembering me.. :-)

ok, Erica... will do.

Private User
12/20/2010 at 9:33 PM

I am still upset about the Rogers, to be honest. I am wondering -- did they put out a call throughout Plymouth Plantation, we have the best eggnog, come on over to our house and get yourself adopted in?

I mean, John is missing and there's a son Noah instead. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?

12/20/2010 at 9:40 PM

Hi Hatte,
I can claim Stephen Hopkins as an ancestor, through my Witherell line. What is the genealogy that you have for him?
Best regards.

Private User
12/21/2010 at 3:41 AM

Erica & Hatte, you mentioned using the wiki as a place for adding sources and I can see doing this for relationships and other data, but it's still very helpful with merges and such if we use the sources section, which will identify fields as having a source during the merge process.

12/21/2010 at 5:20 AM

Hi Charles,
I have volume 6 Mayflower Families (Stephen Hopkins). It gives the first 5 generations and is published by The General Society of Mayflower Descendants. The way Amazon advertised it, I thought it was on the Mayflower families. Totally misleading.

Best,
Hatte

12/21/2010 at 5:23 AM

Private User - It seems like all the older generations suffer extraneous offspring. What the heck are people thinking when they merge with an early American with a full profile and add random children?

Private User
12/21/2010 at 6:04 AM

Charles, here is the profile for Stephen Hopkins, "Mayflower" Passenger

Private User
12/21/2010 at 7:36 AM

Dear Jeff:

Can you explain in detail what you mean about putting
information into the Source section of Geni profiles.

How does this expedite the merges?

Ethel Johanna Myers

Private User
12/21/2010 at 7:52 AM

Ethel, see Stephen Hopkins profile above. If you click on the source tab, you'll see two entries that source his DOB. When you go to merge this profile with another, it will give an indicator that the DOB is sourced.

Unfortunately, Geni has not yet give us a way to source relationships. For example, that the parents are John and Mary Smith and not Robert and Margaret Smith. That would be really helpful and it's on my Geni Christmas wish list along with adoption support, additional name fields, titles, etc. (I should create a Wiki page for Geni and we can list our top new year wishes.. haha).

12/21/2010 at 9:20 AM

Private User - I'll try to use Source but I agree it's relationships (parents and marriages) and children that are often the most problematic when merging.

Private User
12/21/2010 at 9:22 AM

Ben Angel and I got out the chainsaws yesterday so the Rogers descendants are ready for proofreading and documentation. Ben is working on sourcing through the descendants of John Rogers, I believe (his line). So Lt. Joseph's line might need extra attention.

I think of the Project "overview" as the place to store "general resources for the Project." For instance, the google books URL's for Savage and "New England Marriages" and the URL for the Thomas Rogers Society.

Then within the individual profile, the citation can be more easily made, as you already have a general bibliography made.

The next release of "profile overview" is targeted to include Wikipedia style citation references. Now that will be awesome.

I feel a lot better about Thomas Rogers now and look forward to some really quality profile work. Let us know through project discussions, perhaps, of profiles that are ready to be designated Master Profiles, and / or need curator notes for easier disambiguation in merging (this would particularly apply to the *other* Rogers lines that got confabulated with the Thomas Rogers line).

12/21/2010 at 9:25 AM

Now that Erica has disconnected Bethia Hopkins, I DO have a relationship with Stephen Hopkins -- Stephen Hopkins, "Mayflower" Passenger is your 9th great grandmother's husband's brother.

I think it is Williams - Gallup - Phelps - Dudley - Arnold - Hopkins.

12/21/2010 at 9:28 AM

And I end up illustrating the stupid carriage return problem to boot...

Fanny Maria Gallup Williams (my great great grandmother)
his mother

Margaret Phelps Gallup
her mother

Lucy Kent Phelps
her mother

Dudley Kent
her father

Abigail Dudley Kent
his mother

William Dudley, II
her father

William I Dudley, Sr.
his father

Joanna Arnold
his mother

William Hopkins
her husband

Stephen Hopkins, "Mayflower" Passenger
his brother

12/21/2010 at 9:50 AM

Opinion please... Is it really necessary to put a Sr or a Jr after names, when the dates of birth and death tell it all? Some people are putting this info in, when there is a more Sr. ancestor beyond, back in time, with the same name. I find that a bit confusing and unecessary....
I wish I could get the hang of wiki... and I wish I could stay here indefinately to try to figure it out.

12/21/2010 at 10:00 AM

The Jr and Sr confuse me too and are sometimes incorrect.

I have three Nathaniel Williams in a sequence and three Arthur Williams in a sequence in my family and haven't figured out what to do. Oh yes, and several Meshach and Shadrach Wilbors in a sequence ...

12/21/2010 at 10:04 AM

I went to this location, the Thomas Rogers Project, http://www.geni.com/projects/Thomas-Rogers-Pilgrim-and-Some-of-His-...
and there did not seem to be a link to add a profile, only documents... how does one add a profile?

12/21/2010 at 10:07 AM

I really feel so handicapped with this wiki business... I just do not understand it at all. and I got this strange email, which I posted here which made no sense to me at all. I wish I had all the time and resources to figure it all out, but I don't. laters folks... have had enough for today.... too much frustration.

Private User
12/21/2010 at 10:31 AM

Sally,

on the profile itself, go to the "more actions" menu, which is directly under "edit profile" on the right.

Then select - "add to project." There will be a drop down box.
Then select the project - "Thomas Rogers, Pilgrim, and Some of His Descendants" (or whichever Project the profile belongs in!).
Then select - close

The profile is then associated with the Project automatically.

It's easy once you've done it twice.

12/21/2010 at 10:53 AM

Sally Thomas - I have your book put aside with your mailing instructions printed out. After the holidays, I will try to brave out to the appropriate mail vendor!

I saw that you added Samuel Rogers and that you are his direct descendant so you clearly got Erica's method. I also added Elizabeth Rogers Williams and some of her children and grandchildren.

12/21/2010 at 11:47 AM

Aloha Sally, please email me if you have merge issues with your own family tree issues. I have made step by step instructions ( with pictures from my own family tree) for my immediate family. I am willing to share this with you, since we all encounter these problems. You don't have to be the manager of the project to make corrections on your own tree but you can easily edit the information that you added. Again, my email is
stephanieterlep@yahoo.com. Hope I am able to address some of your concerns. Aloha, Stephanie

Private User
12/21/2010 at 12:12 PM

Re: The Jr / Sr / l, ll, lll issue ....

Gaaaah it gets awful doesn't it. You think you've got generations sorted out correctly and then a *new* sequence restarts!

What I've recently been doing is adding a location SUFFIX. For instance, John Parks, of Viriginia. John Parks, of Kent (way up tree but if you're not in tree view, may be part of the reason the 18th and 14th centuries get mixed up?).

Also -- adding images. We're all visual people, and if we can find a photo, portrait, home, map, tombstone, pretty pedigree, signature, coat of arms, that belongs to that profile and that alone, not only have we made the tree more visually appealing and the profile more biographically enriched, we have reduced merge error.

There are some generic icons such as "died young" or "immigrant ancestor" or "person of note" that are quite useful, too. I've been collecting them (OK, appropriating them) to my photo album as I range through the tree.

Private User
12/21/2010 at 12:14 PM

Stephanie,

I would love those images if you'd be willing to share. I will PM you with my off geni email address.

12/21/2010 at 1:22 PM

Aloha Mohamid Kamai Bim Hussain,
I concur with your astute remarks!
True Science and True religion CANNOT contridict each other.
According to divergent evolution, man and ape branched out and away from each other eons ago. It is a myth that homosapiens (homoeroctus evolved from apes) this Man has a separate link. As no (missing link) has never been discovered, the story of Adam and Eve has not been disputed. If we ever discover a human body without a navel, then there would be proof positive that Adam and Eve were not born but created.
I am hoping that you are related to my Hawaii born hero, President Obama.

12/21/2010 at 1:28 PM

Sorry for the Typos and mis-spelled words. My 64 year old fingers, not to mention my mind, just not working as it should.

12/23/2010 at 4:16 PM

Samuel Rogers have many merge issues. There are 196 pending Merge Requests; 532 Tree Conflicts and 593 Data Conflicts. Some of these can be easily corrected.

12/23/2010 at 5:06 PM

Erica, the drop down box does not include Thomas Rogers project.... which is why I added it to the mayflower project which was in the drop down box.

Hatte, I am really looking forward to getting that book, email me, please because I woul like to return to you some sort of favor for that, perhaps a free night at my hotel or something, in case you ever want to vacation in panama... We can talk about some sort of exchange in an email... ok?
I go down all the way to Lucinda Rogers... It is all on my mothers side. Her name is Stickney, and that is really direct too from my mother all the way back to William. The Rogers is on my mothers side too... Grandmother tied into the stickneys. Although I have found that waaay back I am also connected to Hopkins on both side of my family, quite a surprise about that! both sides of the family have connections to Stephen Hopkins!

Stephanie... Thank you very much. I need to take a look at Samuel... and see what I can do about any merges there are, I just do not want to make any mistakes.

12/23/2010 at 5:44 PM

@Sally - I'll email you. You need to become a follower of the Thomas Rogers project and then you can add any profile to it. It'll show up in the drop down box profiles for you once you're a follower.

Showing 631-660 of 746 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion