Scoggins Family of Grayson Co., TX

Started by Private User on Thursday, October 7, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 13 posts
Private User
10/7/2010 at 6:33 PM

I have found a list of graves in a Texas cemetery with quite a few Scoggins in it
http://www.txgenweb3.org/txgrayson/ceme-fairview13.html

Does anyone know claim this family? If so, are they related to my Tennesee Scoggins? There is a Benjamin Franklin Scoggins of approximately the same age as my ancestor buried in this cemetery.

My ancestor is Benjamin Franklin Scoggins. He was born in North Carolina and I don't know where he died, but many of his cousins are in Tennessee.

Private User
10/7/2010 at 7:48 PM

Texas has many birth, death and marriage records online on Ancestry.com and in the new "Search Prototype" section of the LDS. Frequently, the actual documnets are online. I live in Texas as do many of my family members, and I have found all their documents.. When I move on to another state, I miss my Texas sources.

Private User
10/7/2010 at 8:06 PM

Maria,

If it helps you any, the Howton were from first landing in Virginia, then to Tennessee. From TN, branches went to KY and AL. From KY and AL, branches went to MO and AR. From MO, AR, AL and KY, branches went to TX and "out west."

It's all about the Homestead Act and the Civil War, I believe,

Private User
10/7/2010 at 9:16 PM

Hi Maria, after going through the various Scoggins connected to the Big Tree, there's some that are descendant from Scogie, Scroggins, and Scogin (your tree). I've been trying to connect the dots for you and for Ronald Scoggins since you both are of the same ancestors and are fairly closely related.

10/8/2010 at 4:59 AM

Maria, we're practically related! My husband's family first came to Texas around 1848 and settled in Van Alstyne in Grayson County. The Scoggins' are one of the families his family intermarried with. http://www.geni.com/search?group=everyone&names=betty+scoggins+... married Percy 'Calvin' Roberts, whose mother was Luna Veazey. :)

Private User
10/8/2010 at 9:04 PM

See, Marsha, I knew you were family!

I don't have these people tied into the Tennesse family yet but have tied the cemetery into Ronald Scoggins -- he didn't think he had any relations buried there, but the names are too convincing. I have asked him to go to the cemetery (He's in Dennison, I'm in CA -- easier for him!) and go to the office and get the burial forms.

Mimi, thanks for your continued support. Between us, we'll get Ronald squared away and he's learning a lot, want to or not.

10/9/2010 at 5:04 AM

Maria and Marsha I have looked at the Fairview cemetery on the internet if I remember right Benjamin f Scoggins is buried there. it shows he was buried nine years before my Dad was born. I had no idea we had family there, Also I am not in Denison I live in Lindale about two hours away. My niece lives there she going to check it out Monday

10/9/2010 at 5:40 AM

If this helps Henry Harrison, R.W. and myself worked for the M.K.& T ( Katy) Railroad as well of two of my Dad brothers. I would to konw if any of my Grandfather's brothers worked for the katy

10/9/2010 at 6:48 AM

Hey, I live in Katy, TX - I think the city was named after the railroad, if I have my local history right. I just love how small this world is!

10/9/2010 at 6:53 AM

William Tomas Scoggins (10/01/1904 - 11/01/1979) is in the Van Alstyne Cemetery. Here are other Scoggins' in other Grayson county cemeteries:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSln=scoggins...;

Private User
10/9/2010 at 7:17 AM

Ron, thanks for the update! There are close to a dozen Scoggins in that cemetery. Your niece should come back with lots of useful information.

Regarding the railroad, just google it and read any results. My offer still stands to help you add information to these profiles until you are more comfortable with Geni. I am very curious to find the link between "my" Scoggins and yours.

10/9/2010 at 7:24 AM

Yes I just got in this a few days ago and Wow this great.I,ve thought about many times but this is the first. It is fun to see where we came and how many of us are around. Iam not sure where to find you in the family can you help.

10/10/2010 at 9:06 AM

Ron, you can try to see if geni can find your connection to almost anyone. Just go to their profile (click on anyone's picture in this discussion for one way to get to a profile quickly) and, at the top of the page, click the blue button that says How are you related? It may take awhile but you can go on and do other things; geni will send an email if it finds a connection. Have fun!

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion