Two Sintha/Cinthia Poole

Начала Sharon Hardin Суббота, 9 Октября 2010

Участники:

Упомянутые профайлы:

Показаны все 17 сообщений
9/10/2010 в 10:10 до полудня

I think the two Sintha/Cinthia's listed on the tree are the same person. I don't know if one should be removed so that there is only one listed or is there another way to correct this? All the brothers of Immanuel Lay Scoggins are listed as half brothers and half sisters and they should be brothers and sisters, not half. Anyone else agree with me and can correct it? Thanks, Sharon Hardin

9/10/2010 в 2:10 после полудня

Sharon,
the thing to do is to contact the manager of the other profiles, invite them to Collaborate with you, and then merge them.

9/10/2010 в 3:19 после полудня

I agree with you as along as there no proof of another marriage. Like myself two Ex,s with kids

Private User
9/10/2010 в 4:36 после полудня

Okay, I just tried to go look at these profiles to see if I can solve your issues. I found that Cintha has been deleted. NEVER EVER delete a profile without discussing with the main profile manager. The correct procedure is to MERGE the two profiles and then to correct information using the "Conflicting Data" tool.

Private User
9/10/2010 в 5:01 после полудня

I have place a help ticket to restore the deleted Cinthia DeeAnna Poole. Once it has been restored, I can answer your question, Sharon about the two profiles.

Here is the problem with just deleting a profile. There is information on one that is not on the other. The remaining profile, for Sintha, has no maiden name, which means people outside this discussion would not know it is Poole.

Why might there be the mysterious half-brothers? Without the two profiles to look at, I can't tell you. Most likely, it was an unfinished merge and all the pieces haven't been finished yet.

When a merge is made between two collaborators, the merge is completed in moments. When a merge is made between two managers who do not collaborate, permissions have to be obtained to finish the merge.

Even when the merge is completed, the work is not done. We have to look for conflicting information (i.e., Sintha/Cinthia), determine which is correct, and if we can't determine that, post a note on the profile that there is debate about a point of fact on the profile. Next, we have to look at newly merged person's tree. If both Sintha and Cinthia, for example, had husbands, fathers, mothers and children attached to their profiles, now those family members have to be merged, and their extended families have to be merged.

That's what we Curators do. We go through profiles and finish those merges. Just remember, even with the special tools at our disposal, we can't fix an entire branch of the tree with one mouse click. Those of you who have asked for help have to be patient and allow us to do our work.

Also, we have lives. We are not employees, but volunteers. We give as much time as we can, when we can. I was working in the Scoggins tree the past several days. I had company from 10 am to 2 pm today. I am expecting visitors any moment from Florida (I am in CA). Finishing merges was not even on my to-do list for today.

If our wonderful Geni Geeks can restore the deleted profile, I will look at it as soon as I can and do what I can to answer your questions and to clean up your portion of the tree.

9/10/2010 в 5:19 после полудня

I jumped the gun on this one I looked at what was posted. How do you look deeper into a profile to look at things like this.

Private User
9/10/2010 в 6:08 после полудня

Ron, look at the TREE view. Go to right side of profile home page, you will see short menu. One of those is view tree. If a profile has a blue circle with a plus sign, it means that there are two or more profiles waiting to be merged. If you click on the person's box, you have the option to view profile, which is where you will have the chance to review duplicates and decide if they are same person or not.

If there is a yellow triangle, there are tree conflicts, which means the merge is not finished. When you click on the person's box, at the bottom is a choice to "resolve conflicts." A screen comes up with all the ancestors affected by the merge. We "stack" duplicates" by drag and drop.

Also, at the top of a profile page is the menu item "Merge Center." This will show you all unfinished merges that you have started and not finished. For now, only worry about the two far right tabs. The others require more Geni knowledge.

At the very bottom of THIS page and most pages is the term "Wiki." I recommend clicking on it and reading the helpful information there. Anything in blue is a hyperlink which will take you to more information. Start with "Glossary" and "Tips and Tricks." Read the rest as you have time.

I gotta go. As I have mentioned before, I have a busy weekend.

10/10/2010 в 9:31 до полудня

This has been a lot of work for all of you and I appreciate being able to contribute. I don't think I have deleted anything when I started the merge process, but I didn't research or consult with others when I merged the info. I didn't know there was such a thing as a curator and my thanks for all your work. I apologize to you if I have make more work and ask that you excuse me this time. Hopefully I will learn from this.

I am so happy to have found other Scoggins families who are interested in working this line. All but my dad have died and no one else knows much about the family. Just goes to show we should talk to our elders more often and write down family stories.

I'm getting ready for a vacation, but if I have time tonight, I will try to follow your instructions about the Tree. Thanks again.

Private User
10/10/2010 в 11:13 до полудня

Have a good vacation, Sharon. We will try to get some more work done while you are gone.

I couldn't agree more about talking to our elders, while we have them among us. I wish I had started the tree before my husband's grandparents died. I have lost a valuable resource.

Most families have access to video recorders today. Sit down with that elder, tell him what you are working on and ask him to tell you as much as he can remember while the tape is running.

10/10/2010 в 11:58 до полудня

Maria thanks foe all the info it is good to know how to look for stuffso I don't mess up again.

10/10/2010 в 4:33 после полудня

Looking forward to our trip out west - just hope we don't run into snow this year. We have had record heat here in Arkansas, so I looking forward to a few days away. Will try to get my son to work on Geni and he will be the one to take to the old cemeteries so the knowledge doesn't die out. Thanks for all the info and help again. SH

Private User
14/10/2010 в 4:53 до полудня

I'm sorry for not sticking my nose in, but it was a profile I manage and put information in. I undeleted it the other day and merged the 2 profiles. I also input more information because there is NO proof of her name being spelled Sintha.

I've added "documents" in the Media with her various spellings as well as a "Source" written by a Larry Scoggins who has done research as well.

I had her middle name spelled as DeAnna as that's how I found it spelled in more than 1 Family tree, however, I let you keep the DeAner because you are the descendant, not me.

I am helping Ronald Scoggins with his family tree. I'm currently his personal Curator. :)

Private User
14/10/2010 в 4:59 до полудня

PS, Ronald Scoggins and you are very closely related. His ancestor is Squire Henry Scoggins who is the sibling of your Immanuel.

All the "half-siblings" are people I manage, but I have merged them all now so they are ONE and have added Ronald as manager on his ancestor's profiles.

14/10/2010 в 6:16 до полудня

I agree with you that one of things I would like learn to do. Is fix the things I know to be right or at least think to be right .

14/10/2010 в 6:44 до полудня

If you ever see the word 'Edit' that means you have permission to fix things. Just click the link and go! Great work, Mimi!

Private User
14/10/2010 в 9:10 до полудня

Thanks for chiming in, Mimi. Now I know what's going on with that profile. I appreciate your help, as always.

Ron and Sharon, I have promised you both to be available on Friday (tomorrow) to help you with your trees. Ron, I was giving step-by-step instructions to someone else recently. I will copy and paste those instructions into this discussion. You and Sharon can both follow along.

Regarding Sintha/Cinthia, spelling was not standardized in those days. Everything was phonetic. I am betting that DeAnner is Deanna. We can leave it as is for now, until we can find more proof.

Private User
14/10/2010 в 9:11 до полудня

I'm sure they probably pronounced it Deanner, how some people pronounce Idea as Ideer in different parts of the country.

Показаны все 17 сообщений

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении