Pieter den Deen Erasmus

Started by Denise Whitehead on Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
10/12/2010 at 12:47 PM

I am very curious about Pieter den Deen Erasmus and how and why he arrived in South Africa and his origins, is anyone able to add information
Dee in NZ (7th great grand daughter

Private User
10/12/2010 at 12:58 PM

I've no idea if this is something you already had, but I found this on the internet:

Pieter ERASMUS

Pieter ERASMUS came to South Africa in 1693. In the Cape records he appears as Pieter den Deen. He farmed on the farm 'Groenkloof' in Wagenmakersvallei (Wellington), this fell in the sub-district of Drakenstein. He got this farm 28 Feb 1699, however since he was not in favour of van der Stel he only obtained his title in 1714. He had this farm until his death. He died 1731. Pieter married 1697 Maria Elizabeth JOOSTE who died September 1723. They were married in 1697.

His farm was next to Baren Blom's, please note some printed material gives the wrong farm as belonging to Erasmus, it was not the farm in Drakenstein. They had a farm De Groenenbergh on the Krommerivier in the Wagenmakersvalleij (this farm is today known as Onverwacht, Bovlei)

CHILDREN
b1 Rasmus baptised Paarl 21 Sep 1698, X 4 Nov 1725 Susanna Jacobs
b2 Maria Hanna baptised 25 Oct 1699
b3 Lourens baptised 22 Jun 1704, X 9 Dec 1731 Martha Pienaar
b4 Catharina baptised 24 Jan 1706, X 12 Aug 1725 Johannes Mulder, XX Jun 1732 Roelof van den Burg
b5 Larius baptised 6 Feb 1707
b6 Jacob, X Paarl 4 Aug 1737 Sara de Klerk

Toe die Inventaris geneem was nadat Maria dood was in 1723 word die volgende persone gegee as hulle kinders:
Erasmus Pieter - 25 jaar oud
Ester - 20 jaar oud
Lourens - 19 jaar oud
Catharina - 18 jaar oud
Laris - 17 jaar oud
Jacob - 16 jaar oud

Let op dat meeste bronne meld nie Ester as 'n dogter nie. Volgens die Inventaris moes die dogter Maria Hanna voor haar moeder gesterwe het.

Sources:
J A Heese and RTJ Lombard,South African Genealogies
JG le Roux and WG le Roux Ons Drakensteinse Erfgrond: Bovlei
DJ Erasmus "Die Stamvader Pieter Erasmus uit Nederland" Familia XXII 1985 no1
Inligting deur Sasa Malan ingestuur na GenForum

Thanks to research by:

Thanks to submission by:
Mark Barker mabarker@mweb.co.za
AM van Rensburg

10/12/2010 at 2:06 PM
10/12/2010 at 3:36 PM

Thank you Mimi and Daan, I knew some of the information you posted thanks Mimi from being a member of rootsweb, but you have helped to clarify things.There is also a school of thought that asserts that Pieter might have been Danish. Daan looking forward to reading the doc you sent is there a way I can get it translated?
Dee in NZ

Private User
10/12/2010 at 7:03 PM

Hi Dee,
The pieces of Mimi I do know about, but my good friend/cousin really gave a lovely piece there.
Daan will you transfer it for Dee?
Jy is 'n regte doring.
I am still tied up with in my husbands business till next Friday but after that I can do it and then send it to June to check and correct.
You can send that attachment you tried send to me last week. My son Johan showed me what I was doing wrong. I was just very blond. I did not open the orange strip on the top of the message before answering you.
Thanks
Judi

10/13/2010 at 10:59 AM

Dee
Try http://interpret.co.za/.
I have not used it yet.
Daan

10/13/2010 at 11:58 AM

thank you to all my new cousins( several steps removed) for your help. Judi the little taal that I remember tells me that 'Jy is 'n regte doring' translates to 'you are a real thorn' am i right? Don't apologise for the blonde thing i've a double affliction Blonde and senior!!!! Thank you Daan will try the site, another new learning for me.
Baie dankie alles
Dee in NZ

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion