Duplicate profiles held by people who do not want to collaborate

Started by Joel Scott Cognevich on Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Showing all 8 posts
10/12/2010 at 2:56 PM

Is there any way around duplicate profiles that are held by people who chose not to collaborate? While this is their prerogative not to collaborate, it sure does create a mess on the overall tree as these duplicates exist and cannot be merged.

One particular manager that holds duplicates to many of the same profiles that I manage is Private User. Has anyone been in contact with him or know how we might be able to get him onboard with the rest of us? Can a curator help in this situation?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Private User
10/12/2010 at 2:58 PM

Send to the curators. I'm one by the way. :)

10/12/2010 at 3:01 PM

Thanks Mimi! What should I send?

Private User
10/12/2010 at 3:02 PM

Send me a link to a profile that you are bothered by, and I will click into the tree and check it out...either yours or his.

10/12/2010 at 6:12 PM

Joel, I feel your pain. He holds many duplicates to my husband's family. I tried emailing him and the person who added him to no avail. I haven't tried doing anything since I became a curator, though. I hope Mimi can figure it out!

10/12/2010 at 7:31 PM

Thank you Marsha! I do see that you manage many of the same profiles that I am associated with and that are tied to Mr. Davis. I have tried to contact him as well, but no response. I hope that you and/or Mimi can find a good solution without disrespecting his privacy.

It would be a nice solution that if for those that chose to be private and not participate in the big tree that their profiles are not visible to others. Not sure if this is possible or if it is something that Geni would even consider. I realize that the goal for Geni is to have one big 'happy' tree, but if that were the ulitmate goal, then their should have been no option to be private in the early beginnings.

Again thanks and hope that a solution for situations like this can be addressed.

10/13/2010 at 2:29 AM

Joel,
Timothy IS part of the "big-tree" so yes we Curators can help. But only
if BOTH of the duplicate profiles are PUBLIC (have the blue-green globe icon). If one of them is not, or you'd prefer to keep profiles closer to you, private then they'll have to remain unmerged.

So if both are public, then just
1) post various pairs of the profiles you would like merged.
2) A curator will merge them.
3) After a single pair is done, you should be able to see the tree in that area.
4) "stack" more profiles to merge, once stacked, it will be much easier to complete the merges, as you'll only need to post the single link.
5) Repeat #1 as needed.

If these are close relatives that you/they prefer remain private, then in theory you could temporarily make them public to enable the merge, and then revert them. BUT that would prevent Timothy and Family from accessing them, which would be UNFAIR. We'd probably need to consult with Geni Staff, to let them make policy here.

10/13/2010 at 8:25 AM

Thanks Shmuel! Your step by step explanation is most helpful.

Both Mimi and Marsha have offered help in these areas as they both have vested interested in many of the same profiles that Mr. Davis holds. I will work closely with them to remedy the desired merges.

On a seperate note, I have a neighbor whose last name is Kahn. Now I am curious as to your relationship to her. I will ask her if she would be interested in learning more about her genealogy which may ulitmately lead to connection to you and your family.

Keep up the great work!

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion