Mayflower Passenger "Elder" William Brewster (1566-1643)

Started by Private User on Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-87 of 87 posts
Private User
4/14/2011 at 8:45 AM

I got this weird thing going on with my Ashley Judd - Brewster Connection. Ashley Judd is my 12th cousin twice removed. My 12th great-grandmother is Prudence Brewster, sister of William, but when I visit her profile it shows my relationship as "Ashley Judd is your 11th great grandfather's wife's third cousin 13 times removed" with the following path.
You → J Piggott
your mother → Blanche Theora BARKER
her mother → Esther Eleanor Henderson
her mother → Samuel Newton Henderson
her father → James Goforth Henderson
his father → Mary "Polly" GOFORTH
his mother → John Lewis Goforth
her father → Miles Goforth, Sr.
his father → George Goforth
his father → Zachariah Goforth, Sr.
his father → Anne Skipwith
his mother → Willoughby Skipwith, Esquire
her father → William Skipwith
his father → Anne HUSSEY
his wife → John Hussey
her father → George Hussey
his father → William William Hussey
his father → John Hussey, 1st Lord Hussey
his brother → Ann HUSSEY
his daughter → Elizabeth MOORE
her daughter → Frances, Lady North
her daughter → John North, Sr.
her son → John North, Jr.
his son → Susannah NORTH
his daughter → Uriah Judd
her son → Uriah Judd
his son → Seymour Judd
his son → Increase Sumner Judd
his son → Elijah Hubert Judd
his son → Mary Jane JUDD
his daughter → Roy Ogden Judd
her son → Charles Glen Judd
his son → Naomi Judd
his daughter → Ashley Judd
her daughter

This is the path that originally told me I was related to her, but it was wrong because someone had Willoughby Skipwith as the son of Anne Hussey, when he is actually the son of Anne Portington, his second wife (I fixed it).

So my relationship to Rebecca Brewster shows "Rebecca BREWSTER is your 11th great grandfather's wife's third cousin 12 times removed's ex-husband's second great grandmother" when she is actually my 7th cousin 7 times removed. It isn't till Comfort Brewster that it shows my Brewster connection => "Comfort Brewster is your fifth cousin 9 times removed".

Did checking the Skipwith connection first just throw a wrench in it all, or is this "normal relationship behavior"? Sure would be nice if it would show my blood line path. Just curious, can this be fixed?

Private User
4/14/2011 at 9:00 AM

It's caching on the server. With all the merge activity since Friday night (which will now increase do to this discussion!) it takes time for the database to catch up with itself. Also indexing the database - a huge task with 54 million profiles - is a job run a few times a week (don't quote me, I'm going from old memories of posts by Geni staff).

So sometimes you get these very strange relationships but generally they straighten themselves out given a week or so. I've been stable with cousin Myrna for instance for quite some time -- she's my closest geni cousin at 9th once removed. So I just follow her around! <grin>

Private User
4/14/2011 at 9:01 AM

7th 7th times removed to Ashley Judd is pretty cool by the way.

4/14/2011 at 9:36 AM

Ok, I just got on the Ashley kick...my sister is going to flip out!!! Ashley is my 12th cousin twice removed, through Brewster's, which I was not aware I was related to! Guess I need to start following!

This BIG TREE thing can get TOO big to find something interesting sometimes! Thank goodness for discussions like this that bring some things to light.

4/14/2011 at 9:36 AM

Erica...did you find Myrna by accident, or is there a way to search and find someone like that?

Private User
4/14/2011 at 9:56 AM

When we became curators Myrna, who is far more knowledgeable than I am, pinged our path and solved one of my genealogical brick walls for me ... as well as introducing me to my own "blue blood" (who knew).

It also happens to be a fairly sedate, decently built out and low volume couple of lines, so there's stability and it's possible to keep them cleanish. Unlike say Adams. Brewsters are also a hard one because there are a lot of them and the historical record has obscurities as well (as shown in the Who Do You Think You Are episode) so make a lousy benchmark.

There are a couple of long families that are becoming "backbones." I worked quite a bit on the Reynolds family - a nice middle class family in England, and a nice middle class families in the United States too. So since that line has a decent build, thanks to my collaborator, goes back to 1200 or so, out through New England and also a Southern US line (I intersect in two or three places and I bet I'll end up with more) but still plenty to find out, I'm finding Reynolds becoming a "connector" line for several of us.

Between us I see this path:

Anita Marie Boynton is your 10th cousin once removed.

http://www.geni.com/path/Erica+Isabel+Howton+is+related+to+Anita+Ma...

The Fords and Bryants are trees I'm working on and again, there's some reasonable "early New England" documentation *and* they're not wildly popular. On your side of the slope the Carvers may be worth some more exploration. Ah, I see Carver leads to Snow to Alden ... and we work hard on keeping the Aldens in check. Unfortunately there's no England side to Alden though ....

Private User
4/14/2011 at 9:58 AM

That was a long way around of saying "look at the managers, see who's active and has built out a line" !

Private User
4/14/2011 at 10:21 AM

Thanks Erica for letting me know!

4/14/2011 at 11:24 AM

Gotya Erica...thanks! My Carver line is pretty solid...but only back to the Alden's. I have Snow's, though, too...maybe that will do it for me.

Funny story... family history was that we were descended from the Mayflower through Governor John Carver. I was in third or fourth grade and came home and told my parents that Grandma was a liar. We had just learned in school that Gov. Carver had died that first winter with no offspring. The corrected story then became it was his brother who came the next year or so.

It wasn't until I was in my 20's and hooked on genealogy that I found out that it was actually a brother who died in 1598, but who had married Katherine Leggett (who was on the Mayflower). That was about the same time I found the Mullins/Alden/Snow lines, so I apologized to Grandma for calling her a liar! She was right on descended from the Mayflower, she just had her lines all mixed up!

Private User
4/14/2011 at 11:30 AM

Hey it wasn't grandma who was mixed up ... it was those Mayflowers with each other because who else was available? <grin>

You need a quiet stable line and maybe a long way back to connect to Europe.

I've been hoping to connect / trace this guy to my New England Bryants just because I like the name:

Sir Francis Bryan I "The Vicar of Hell", Lord Chief Justice of Ireland

4/14/2011 at 1:29 PM

You would like that name!! I can't wait til I find a witch or a pirate in my lines to share with you!

4/14/2011 at 1:50 PM

My coworkers want to know what is so funny!!!

"Sir Francis Bryan I "The Vicar of Hell", Lord Chief Justice of Ireland is your 7th cousin 11 times removed."

Private User
4/14/2011 at 3:04 PM

See? Bet he leads to our Puritan Bryant tree!

Private User
4/14/2011 at 3:37 PM

I also have a Brewster connection. 1. Wm. Brewester 2. Patience Brewster- Gov. Thomas prince/Prine 3. hannah Prince -- Nataniel Mayo 4. Thomas Mayo -- Barbara knowles 4. Mary Mayo - Captain Jonathan Bangs and so on

Private User
4/14/2011 at 3:42 PM

Just out of curiosity . Why was he called the Vicar of hell

4/14/2011 at 4:23 PM

Unfortunately they said it was the last show of the season...but it probaby will be on reruns....

Private User
4/14/2011 at 4:25 PM

"N. Sander, Rise and Growth of the Anglican Schism ( 1877), p. 24, records that Sir Francis Bryan 'was once asked by the king [Henry Vlll] to tell him what sort of sin it was to ruin the mother and then the child'. Bryan replied 'that it was a sin like that of eating a hen first and its chicken afterwards'. The king burst forth into loud laughter and said to Bryan, 'Well, you certainly are my vicar of hell'."

4/14/2011 at 6:03 PM

Anita - we share this ancestor Andrew Hallett, Jr. There are Carvers on your side of him.

4/14/2011 at 6:11 PM

Nice Hatte! I can't get the relationship between myself and you to come up tonight...can you?

4/14/2011 at 6:13 PM
Private User
4/16/2011 at 6:50 AM

The only think I know about the Tilley that came on the Mayflower is there were two families. The story goes Elizabeth raced John Aldon to be the first off the ship. Most of the Tilley's didn't survive the first years. Elizabeth did. My Tilley came later. May be related but I don't know.

Private User
4/16/2011 at 7:13 AM

Once again, my curiosity aroused, I had to check into the Vicar of Hell. He's my 1st cousin 14 times removed.

Is there a ghost project of any kind? Once in a while I run into one (when I'm reading, not out in public) and it would be a nice place to put them.

Private User
4/16/2011 at 7:16 AM

Hatte (or should I call you Sis) Andrew Hallett is my 10th gr grandfather.

4/16/2011 at 7:19 AM

Tammy you know the Hallets are my ancestors too. I have to check exactly who and what degree :)

4/16/2011 at 7:24 AM

Andrew Hallett, I is Hatte Blejer's 9th great grandfather.

That makes 4 shared sets of great grandparents for us at the 9th, 10, and 11th degree: Johnson, Hallett, Riggs, Strong

Private User
4/16/2011 at 2:06 PM

Tammy once again I am asking why is he called the Vicar of Hell? Love to know since he is one of my ancestors.

Private User
4/16/2011 at 2:08 PM

Forget I asked just managed to find out on my own!

Showing 61-87 of 87 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion