Thomas Barnes: Who is this guy?

Started by Laura Elizabeth McLean on Thursday, October 28, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 12 posts
10/28/2010 at 10:00 AM

This Thomas Barnes of Hartford has me totally baffled. Internet records of him I'm finding are all over the place, with different combinations of wives, children, and dates of birth, death, and burial (with many saying he was buried three years before he died??). I'm thinking there were two Thomas Barnes that lived around the same time in the Hartford/Middletown area of Connecticut and they have gotten hopelessly tangled. Can anyone help with this?

Private User
10/28/2010 at 10:52 AM

I can, I've done some disambiguation in the area. My first suggestion is to find a good on line reference to use as a source. The Family Associations are good if you can find one. Other clues to good sites are those that cite their data; those that quote or include original material such as wills; and using google books to find the original written genealogies and histories of town settlement (the "planters.") We can also check ancestry.com for "Great Migration" records.

Once you have a good source lined up, post back, and we'll work on getting the various Thomas Barnes sorted out. Making Master Profiles which can't be merged together stops the errors from happening in the future once we have the line straight, by the way.

Private User
10/28/2010 at 10:53 AM

I can, I've done some disambiguation in the area. My first suggestion is to find a good on line reference to use as a source. The Family Associations are good if you can find one. Other clues to good sites are those that cite their data; those that quote or include original material such as wills; and using google books to find the original written genealogies and histories of town settlement (the "planters.") We can also check ancestry.com for "Great Migration" records.

Once you have a good source lined up, post back, and we'll work on getting the various Thomas Barnes sorted out. You are correct: people with similar names and dates get merged together in error. Curators have the tools to break off the incorrect parentage.

Then we can make Master Profiles which can't be merged together and "float a curator note" that shows in merge view. This stops the errors from happening in the future.

Private User
10/28/2010 at 11:37 AM

I can, I've done some disambiguation in the area. My first suggestion is to find a good on line reference to use as a source. The Family Associations are good if you can find one. Other clues to good sites are those that cite their data; those that quote or include original material such as wills; and using google books to find the original written genealogies and histories of town settlement (the "planters"). We can also check ancestry.com for "Great Migration" records.

Once you have a good source lined up, post back, and we'll work on getting the various Thomas Barnes sorted out. You are correct: people with similar names and dates get merged together in error. Curators have the tools to break off the incorrect parentage.

Then we can make Master Profiles which can't be merged together and "float a curator note" that shows in merge view. This stops the errors from happening in the future.

10/28/2010 at 2:20 PM

Still looking for a good source, without much luck. I did find this book:
http://books.google.com/books?id=IsgwAAAAMAAJ&q=%22thomas+barne...

However there's not a copy in Nashville where I can get at it. If anyone who's interested could check and see if there's a copy in a library near to them, maybe someone could check it out.

Private User
10/28/2010 at 2:28 PM

I'll work on this some more some this evening. I could *swear* I saw some Thomas Barnes sites when I was chasing up my own ancestor, "Deaf John" Barnes.

10/28/2010 at 2:32 PM

There's some information on these two sites, but neither of them are consisten or well-sourced. They're the best I've found so far.
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/r/o/s/Michael-F-Rose/FIL...
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~renee/Combined/co...

I'm going to dive into the ancestry forums next.

Private User
10/28/2010 at 2:34 PM

Try a search of "The Great Migration" records: they have biographical sketches, including genealogical data, of many "first settlers." It's very high quality.

Careful of ancestry.com trees. Likely the source of the mixups on geni. :)

Private User
10/28/2010 at 2:35 PM

Laura, maybe one of the curators (I am one, but not familiar with this tree) can help you put notes above some of the profiles till they get sorted out?

10/28/2010 at 2:42 PM

Believe me, I learned long ago not to trust ancestry/rootsweb/LDS, etc. trees! There are plenty of those out there for Thomas Barnes, none of them consistent with one another, and none of them sourced. Supposedly his first wife was executed as a witch, so you'd think she and her husband would be of more historical interest!

I'll check the Great Migration records, but I'm not a subscriber, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to see much. There's a reason I like Geni: it starts with "f" and ends with "ree"!

Private User
10/28/2010 at 2:45 PM

I think they will be of interest now, since the Salem Witch Project is going on in some parts of the "Big Tree."

Good luck on your search.

Private User
10/28/2010 at 2:47 PM

Yeah Mimi where's YOUR family witch huh huh? So far I have ancestors on both sides - accused and accuser.

I have an ancestry.com subscrip so will search there. I know Thomas Barnes is documented, we just have to dig it out.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion