for curators: my profile is good enough to be a Master Profile!

Started by Private User on Thursday, October 28, 2010

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 511-540 of 1097 posts
3/21/2012 at 9:00 AM

Eldon,

I cannot locate the project for Famous Aviators. I have found and added him to the Military Notables for World War II.

Private User
3/21/2012 at 9:39 AM

Kevin I was guessing on the name sorry:-(
http://www.geni.com/projects/Great-Aviators/3599

3/21/2012 at 9:51 AM

Eldon, added him to North African Campaign

3/23/2012 at 11:32 PM

Ernst Beckman if anyone would be so kind.

Private User
3/24/2012 at 8:02 AM
Private User
6/16/2012 at 10:42 PM

Olav; all 3 June requests are done

:-)

Private User
6/17/2012 at 1:21 AM

you wish, is my command

:-)

Private User
6/17/2012 at 1:23 AM

Olav, I hope you meant just the last 3 and not the others?

Private User
6/18/2012 at 7:31 PM
Private User
6/18/2012 at 7:46 PM

Eldon, done. Nice finds. I hope we can find a good project for Dixie, new to me, and needs to be known about.

Private User
6/18/2012 at 8:44 PM

Private User I went to a local community theater Sunday here in southwest Iowa and saw 'The Music Man". When I got home I found him on Geni. A private profile in an abandoned tree. Since Geni no longer releases these, I made a new profile and started in. Luckily, almost all of them are buried in a family plot in Mason City Iowa so it didn't take a lot of work. There are about ten more burials of Willsons there but I haven't figured out the connections yet. None of them are linked.

Private User
6/21/2012 at 9:21 AM

I suggest to make this master profile - Sarah Chakko - Sarah Chacko was the first Indian honored to be the President and first Lady president of the biggest ecumenical forum, The Word Council of Churches

Private User
6/21/2012 at 10:10 AM

Private User

Nice work, and done. I especially like the use of an associated project to give me a look into her world.

Can I ask that "locations" be filled out on her profile?

Private User
6/21/2012 at 10:51 AM

Thanks Private User!, I updated the location. For the documents, the credit goes to Private User

Private User
6/21/2012 at 12:03 PM

Extra thanks for filling in the sourced facts - that let me "lock" those data fields so mistakes aren't made in the future. If new information comes up to be added a Geni member can start a discussion from the profile and I'll see it, and we can adjust accordingly.

6/21/2012 at 4:52 PM

Private User So, if we have a valid source linked to the data, you can lock it down to prevent changes now???? COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Private User
6/21/2012 at 8:32 PM

Anita M. Boynton, I think that is the option with Master Profile. Curators, correct me if I am wrong. So first step is to back profile data with document proof, then request for profile to be made Master Profile, then the curators will lock the fields. This will protect our data during merges.

6/21/2012 at 9:11 PM

You got it!

(Locking individual fields does not actually require cited documentation, but having a 'citation' on the field lends credibility as to why it was locked with the current value.)

6/21/2012 at 9:20 PM

re: merges. (perhaps as a reminder)

When other profiles are merged into a M.P., the current values in the M.P. remain the "default" --- but conflicting field values still show up in the "to be resolved" table. ( ... and, thus, fields can potentially be changed by someone selecting an alternative value in the process of data conflict resolution -- or by direct "Edit" of the profile). "Unlocked" M.P.'s are treated like any other Public profile in that sense.

When a field is locked, that particular field's value cannot be changed (either directly editing or via "resolving data conflicts") by anyone other than a Curator.

Private User
6/21/2012 at 9:34 PM

One caveat - we do not yet have the ability to field lock relationships although that is in the works. So everyone's help correcting tree relationships is still very much needed. And "data field lock" was only implemented a few months ago, so we'd have to back track, which takes time. But in general - so cool.

6/21/2012 at 11:24 PM

Does there have to be a justifable reason for making a profile a MP?
I could supply 100% documentary evidence for all details in my mother's profile (even all the boring bits in her About Me) but apart from looking "cool" what possible need would there be to make my mother a Locked Master Profile?

I mean just because a profile fulfils the requirements for a locked MP will you guys do that for all and sundry or is there proof of need required?

NOTE: just idly curious, no actual reason to "Lock up" Mother.

Private User
6/21/2012 at 11:34 PM

For one thing presumably your Mum is a private profile and that is outside curatorial scope entirely.

Criteria for MPs are current:

http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Master_Profile

I also suspect you may not have been through the pain of waving together fragments of GEDCOM uploads into one coherent profile, one coherent tree. If you had you wouldn't be asking the value of "field locking.". :)

Private User
6/21/2012 at 11:36 PM

Typo: waving - meant "weaving.". As in "merge monkey weaves together the leaves of the tree, glues the branch back on, or saws it off from where it has unaccountably drifted and grafts to a more correct tree."

6/21/2012 at 11:40 PM

Your assumption is wrong Erica, sadly mother no longer has any need of privacy, I set her profile to Public just over 2.5 years ago :(

Tree monkeys waving branches about made more sense than weaving, have you ever seen a monkey weave anything? Americans!

6/21/2012 at 11:47 PM

Actually you were 50% correct, i've had nothing to do with Gedcoms
Gedcom is just the name of a mythical being I use to chastise my children when they are misbehaving.
I've spent a lot more time digging around in the gloomy sub-canopy of the forest where the sun rarely shines looking for obscure profiles forgotten since the day J made them, not so much a monkey as a ... mole? Ferret?

Private User
6/21/2012 at 11:51 PM

I'm sorry for your loss, I'm sure it's hard. In a sense one day I would see every deceased (or living "notable") set as an MP, as this does not mean contributions still don't go on - there are always new facets to add. Genealogy, like history, is endless, and a curator is a volunteer to "look after" in addition to the profile managers. From a more practical point of view, I look at "value added.". How many descendants? How popular? Etc.

Private User
6/21/2012 at 11:55 PM

Ah I love obscurity myself! Having come from so many generations of farmer - farmer - farmer ... you come upon a "huckster" and want to know more. (a "huckster" in addition to other meanings was a farmer who offered his wares from a horse and wagon that drove about, much appreciated in the 1820s.)

6/22/2012 at 12:00 AM

As far as I can understand this "spread" discussion:

There are many different profiles that are "popular" for many managers to "take care of". For instance Elvis Presley or other famous persons. I can understand the need for a MP and a curator in cases like that.

There are "old" profiles from medivial times or "noble" people, who many are interested in. It's like for famous persons a need for a MP and a curator since there are so many interested managers.

There are some profiles where the data is conflicting and the managers are conflicting too. If it's "too much" of that and the managers cannot solve their problem then Geni can solve the Geni-problem: Put a curator in and make a MP.

Alex just made an easy example, Erica. The overall meaning of his argumentation is: If the profile is not famous like Elvis, not a person like a King or a noble person or a historical person that many are interested in and there are no longstanding quarrel between a few Geni-users: Where is the need for a MP?

To meet the argument about "if documents make an MP immideately" could easliy be met by "don't write anything about your documents and no MP will be made".

I have seen some of the problems that comes from the GEDCOM - maybe thats necessary to use MP or a "Working"-sign whil the problems are fixed to fit to Geni and it's customers.

I have documents to most of my profiles: Is it a good idea to make MP's of all of them? Don't curators have enough to do?

6/22/2012 at 12:02 AM

Judging from the amount of spam Erica posts on the discussion boards i'd say the life of a curator is VERY easy.

8)

Private User
6/22/2012 at 12:28 AM

I would be happy to just keep working on my family tree you know:)

I just made this profile MP and only locked the name field for readability. Sources I found to cite did not include the vital statistics, so the profile is incomplete and requires further research.

Sybil Fiske

Take a look at the statistics section. Take a look at the number of managers. Take a look at her position in the tree (as the grandmother of "first immigrants.").

There's just enough biography to pique my interest but I don't know that I'll have much chance to research further for a while. There is "controversy" in the genealogy shown in the profile overview of her husband. And these were Puritans and suffered in their quest for freedom.

How can she NOT be an MP?

Showing 511-540 of 1097 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion