President Family Links Question

Started by Michelle Parish on Thursday, October 28, 2010

Participants:

Showing all 10 posts
10/28/2010 at 11:52 AM

Is it truly possible to be related to EVERY past US President (Except one, No. 15)? Curiosity drove me to check all after several seemed to be a part of the family tree.

I am finding that they now all are showing as pretty direct links (all blue). Is Geni.com really accurate enough that I can track down folks in Ancestry from this info to double check this info?

I realize it's only as accurate as the person inputting the info, but is it close enough to think this is really possible, and would this mean all (or most of) the presidents are also related... the relation seems to be through the same person in almost every case, Elijah Park (or Daniel Button).

Fairly new to Geni and still trying to figure it all out... and really just getting into the details of it all.

Thanks!

Private User
10/28/2010 at 12:19 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogical_relationships_of_Presiden...

Here's an interesting website that shows the relationships between Presidents, if you are not familiar with it.

10/28/2010 at 1:06 PM

Thanks, Mary... I hadn't seen this yet! It's fascinating and very informative!

10/28/2010 at 5:24 PM

I've had the same question as you Michelle. I went down the President's list, and Geni indicates that I am related to all but 2 of them. And in one of those two cases, I am related to the President's wife. I hope to get more information about this issue as well.

10/29/2010 at 3:41 PM

Kevin, I am currently working on the Salem Witch trials project... As that wraps up, I'm told the Presidents project will get going and get into full gear. I will also be a part of that one as I am obviously a big part of this one too.

It'll be interesting to see how that all unfolds, but can really only tackle one huge project at a time. So, stay tuned...

I will definitely keep following this topic!

10/29/2010 at 4:31 PM

That's great. I'm going to try to find some time to work on it as well. These projects are of great interest to me. Thanks for your response.

1/22/2011 at 8:05 PM

I am right there with you all. I am related to every President but Ford and all but a handful of VPs. I am quite taken aback to see the various connections. I knew the first six or so were related as well as a few others here and there, but ALL of them?! In thinking of the "job" aspect part of it, thinking about it, if your parents are political, you're probably going to be political. So these families probably are just lines and lines of those same five or six First Families just generations and generations later. I can't wait to see this unfold further!

Private User
1/22/2011 at 9:06 PM

President Gerald Ford is related to the brother of Mayflower passenger John Howland. Pres. Richard Nixon is also related to one of his brothers. FDR is descended from John Howland. as well as the Pres. George Bushes. Therefore, Gerald Ford should somehow be in your tree.

http://www.mayflowerhistory.com/Genealogy/famousdescendants.php

1/25/2011 at 7:28 AM

Yep. I actually found that out right after I left here. Thanks for the link!

5/21/2011 at 8:17 PM

I'm a distant cousin of about 81% of the presidents.... I haven't checked vice presidents.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion