Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Geni member
  • Geni member
Showing all 16 posts
Private User
11/4/2010 at 5:34 PM

This seems like a good way to share information on the family research. Please invite any Jacobowitz family researchers to join.

Private User
11/5/2010 at 5:54 AM

Thanks, Harold. I have been thinking about a good way to share the research level of this undertaking. I will invite Beth Jacoby and Ellen Ruby, both who have become caught up in the possible family connections. David

Private User
11/5/2010 at 7:29 AM

Hi David,

I knew that you would be the first one to join!

When I look through the records at jewishgen.org, I find a lot of Jacobowitz (and other family names) with similar first names. I just don't know how to connect them. Chava, Bernath, and Wolf may probably had siblings. Their spouses, and their children's spouse's, had siblings. I think some of the keys might be in the records from Ungvar. But they are not now obtainable.

Someday, I need to go through all of ancestry.com Jacobowitz records. Probably some info there also.

We will keep digging.

Private User
11/5/2010 at 8:16 AM

Fascinating! Though I have a hard time just keeping up with everyone on Geni! I'm sure there's a wealth of info on Jewishgen... I guess I wouldn't be surprised to learn of more sibs for Chava, Bernarth etc...

Private User
11/5/2010 at 8:16 AM

Fascinating! Though I have a hard time just keeping up with everyone on Geni! I'm sure there's a wealth of info on Jewishgen... I guess I wouldn't be surprised to learn of more sibs for Chava, Bernarth etc...

11/5/2010 at 1:05 PM

I am extremely infascinated by the family connections, lineage, names, and would love to know more about the research end of things. I admit I feel a bit clumsy on the methodolgy end of things. I start out with some theories and end up with more questions than answers! Thanks for including me--My original goal was to find the branch of the Jacobowitz family in Brazil--but look! I found them and discovered a huge family and it is so wonderful. Thebest part for me so far has been putting the pieces of our past together with our present family and feeling more grounded in a beautiful family.
Haha! Didn't think I would write a small book did you?
!

Private User
11/6/2010 at 10:57 AM

Way to spell Jacobowitz and modifications:
Jacobi,
Jacobovics,
Jacobowicz,
Jacobowitz,
Jacoby,
Jakobovicz,
Jakobovitz,
Jakobowicz,
Jakobowitz,
Jakobowski,
Jakubovics,
Jakubovski,
Jakubowicz,
Jakubowitz,
Jakubowski,

Private User
11/6/2010 at 10:58 AM

Soundex Renderings
jacobowitz => Daitch-Mokotoff
jacobowitz => NARA Soundex J213

Private User
11/6/2010 at 2:43 PM

My thought would be that the "bovski" and "bowski" versions are unlikely in our family...However, the vicz, vics, vitz, witz all seem cosistent. Hey, you forgot "vich" and "wich", which are also derived from the same root. Which wich, wicz, vitz do you like?

Private User
11/7/2010 at 5:34 PM

We should include the Hebrew, Bar Yaacov, of course. Are there other variants?

11/7/2010 at 5:56 PM

Yes David, as far as I can remember the name "Ben Sira" comes to mind. Also the photos I have scanned that were in my grandfather Arnold's little photo album with my mother HIlda's photos (which Ihave scanned), refer to Sara and Yehuda Udi from Ramat Gan, Israel. I don't know if I have sent those scans to you but I will do that now...I had sent them out about a year ago to get some help id'ing the people.

Private User
11/8/2010 at 6:11 AM

Oops! We forgot the shortened "Jacobs",(ie. Jonas Jacobs) as well as the very anglicized Jacobson...(which is a direct translation of Jacobowitz,vich, etc.) Though I personally don't know of any immediate relatives with the name Jacobson... My thought is Ben Sira is a derivation of the name Ben Sarah, which means literally son of Sarah... I don't think the name "Udi" has a direct connection to Yaacov (Jacob) A more attenuation name, Jacobus/Jacobius exists, but I don't think they have links to our "original" roots.

11/10/2010 at 8:16 PM

Hi Beth--well I got the name, Sarah and Jehuda "Udi" from Grandpa's writing of the names and addresses of our family in Isreal with whom my mother visited in the 50's--not sure of the date...I will send you the scan. But perhaps they were not relatives? But yes, Jiri said he thought he recognized them. Anyway I will forward to you--hmmmmmmmm I thought I had--will do so again.

6/25/2011 at 7:45 PM

Hi! My name is Simone Hawkins. I've been looking for Jakobovits connections for years. Are you related to Jakobovits in Kibbutz Afek, Israel? There was a daughter Varda (that's all I know about that branch currently).

Also, my great great grandmother was Frieda Jakobovits who married Eliahu Goldkrantz. Please let me know if there's any connection!!!!!

~Simone

Private User
6/27/2011 at 1:45 PM

Hello Simone: regrettably, I don't recall seeing or hearing any of those names. Perhaps Ellen Ruby, who just returned from visiting Bar Yaacov's in Israel may have more info. Also, Harold Krongelb may have heard these names in his research.

6/28/2011 at 4:59 AM

Hello Simone and everyone! I cannot answer with any surety--I have been sick since I came home from Israel--and then my son had a motorcycle accident -- and now I am going away again for a week. When I return I will be back in touch with any thoughst I have. Jesse is slowly recovering--needs some arm surgery--maybe today. Love, Ellen

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion