automatic follow of newly created profiles

Started by Philip Weiss on Thursday, November 25, 2010

Participants:

Showing all 15 posts
11/25/2010 at 2:55 PM

I can't find the answer to this in the help section or in other discussions.

The last several bunches of profiles that I created that fall within my family group were created with "Follow" set to On by default.

Is there a way to turn this "auto-follow" feature off?

11/27/2010 at 7:47 AM

I believe we set you to automatically follow all profiles within your Family Group radius (default is 4th cousins). Your Family Group is intended to reflect the group of people in your innermost circle of trust / interest, so we expect that you'd like to be notified of changes to these profiles. I'd be curious to hear from other users who also believe you should not auto-follow profiles in your Family Group?

11/27/2010 at 8:27 AM

a) it's happening outside my family group.
b) I'd to be notified of any changes to profiles I manage, not just family group.
c) Geni didn't turn on follow for the rest of my family group profiles that were created prior to follow being released.
d) profiles I created in October weren't being followed, just ones in the last few weeks.
e) if this is the only way to know what's happening to profiles, then Geni didn't explain the feature very well at all. As noted above, I'd like to know about changes to my managed profiles (I can remove myself from management if I didn't want to know) or family group. that should be automatic and not require me to follow to do it, or to look through a large number of follows for family group to find the one or two public profiles I added to my follow list.

Private User
11/27/2010 at 9:01 AM

same here

11/27/2010 at 11:44 AM

im now following every historical profile i edit..;

Private User
11/28/2010 at 2:37 AM

Yes, have the same issue here - all new profiles I add (and that's many) is set to be automatically followed no matter if they are in my family or not.
Very annoying, as I do want to follow my closest family but not the very remote parts of my tree.

Why isn't there a possibility to have personal settings where you can define preferences like this - before adding profiles to your tree? I'm really missing such a tool in this program.
At the same time it would be great to set the preference for private or public profiles (i.e. all persons born after 1900 or all people still alive to be put on Private) and I'm sure there are many other preferences that could be set at the same time - before adding the profiles - instead of having to go back and correct them afterwards, 1 by 1 - which is really a waste of time.

11/28/2010 at 4:51 AM

It would be helpful to have a list of 'Profiles I'm following' where there could be a Stop following button

11/28/2010 at 6:03 AM

Carina Gromer - you have these lists:
You are Following: http://www.geni.com/list/following/
Your Followers: http://www.geni.com/list/followers/

11/28/2010 at 10:01 AM

Thank you Lauri, I've been looking all over and still not managed to find them 'the normal way'

But now I copied and pasted your links - thank you so much =)

11/29/2010 at 7:04 AM

I know these are hard to find, but for the curious:

The followers list is access from the "view all" link of the Followers module on the Overview tab of your own profile page.

The following list is available from the top of the Account Settings / Notifications page.

Private User
11/29/2010 at 10:59 AM

What is the point in following someone who is already in my family group? I thought I always receive updates about changes within my family group without following anyone (both before and after "following" was introduced). Is that not so? I currently have 1,996 family members and receive birthday reminders and recent activity reports about all of them, I think - just how I like it. If I click to follow all these 1,996 family members, will I receive any additional updates about them? If so, can I click somewhere to follow all of them, or do I have to click 1,996 times?

If following all my 1,996 family members won't lead to more updates about them, then it doesn't make sense to follow family members. In that case I absolutely do not want to follow new family members (or other profiles I add). That would send a signal to everyone that I am more interested in those newly added fourth cousins etc than in my closer family, which is not true.

I also noticed that I seem to auto-follow every profile that I invite - and have to unfollow each and everyone of those in order not to incorrectly show that I am more interested in those people than those previously invited. How can we turn off this auto-follow?

I thought the whole point of "following" was to receive more updates about non-family (as if they were family). Am I wrong? But anyway that possibility was greatly reduced after the following of private living non family members was taken away, so now it seems it is only possible and useful to follow public non family members.

11/30/2010 at 8:47 AM

You currently receive updates for your family group, but at some point that will change and we will completely move over to following for notifications. We also use following to recommend things like other profiles to follow, projects, and so on, so there is that additional benefit.

Private User
11/30/2010 at 9:39 AM

I am also finding that I am "automatically following" new profiles that I add. These are for far-flung members of my tree that I do not care to follow.

Private User
11/30/2010 at 1:51 PM

@Noah When that change happens, will all previously added family members be auto-followed? If not, it means that birthday reminders, family newsletters and tree additions etc will no longer be sent to those 99% or so of all users who don't follow anyone. The log-in statistics will decrease a lot, I think.

If there won't be any retroactive auto-follow for all family members, will it at least be possible to bulk follow all family members after the change? Or will we have to click one by one on all family members we want to follow (and keep getting updates about as we now do)?

11/30/2010 at 7:09 PM

Using "following" exclusively for notifications is a bad idea. You're going to start seeing some pissed off contributors when profiles they manage get broken and they don't get notified.

Particularly now that curators are VERY aggressively merging profiles without managers even having a chance to respond.

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion