Catarina Dodd/Whitten/Durham

Started by cooper aston on Saturday, November 27, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 1 post
11/27/2010 at 7:57 PM

Hello,

I have reason to believe that Catherine Rhynie Dodd was my great great grandmother by references contained in my grandmothers family bible and by extensive research for the past year through the Federal census records from 1850 through 1930. My grandmother, Della Cooper Aston, was the daughter of William T Cooper And Lula Durham. Lula Durham was born on Dec 31st 1873 and was widowed in 1902. Lula consequently married George Whitaker and was listed in the 1920 census as living with George and a William Hicks Durham, her nephew. That makes her brother, Williams father, Thomas Franklin. I believe that she was named Louise at birth and in her younger years before marrying William Cooper. At any rate, these records are in her bible given to my cousin in South Carolina whick I copied last year. Also in this bible were letters from a confederate soldier from Savannah, a William R. Whitten to his wife, Cararina Whitten. In these letters were corespondence about their two dead infants in 1861 and 1862 and references to Ira E Dodd, sister Nancy, and Williams brother. The last letter was from Richmond Virginia on Jule 2nd 1862. I this letter, William wrote about his sadness on the news of their dead children and his thoughts about going into his first battle. According to public records, William and his brother, Silas P Alexander Whitten were killed at the Battle of Gaines Mill on June 27th, making Cararina a widow. Marriage records indicate that Isaac Andrew Durham married Catherine Rhynie Dodd after 1870 and the 1880 census showed Cararina Durham and Isaac Durham living next door to Ira Ellis Dodd in Pickens South Carolina with their daughter Louisa, who I believe to be Lula. I believe that the family bible actually belonged to Lula's mother, Catarina, wife of Isaac Andrew Durham and widow of William R Whitten.

If there is any more information on this line, pleas feel free to contact me at my email address. I may be mistaken, but the facts lead me to this conclusion.

Regards,

Cooper Aston

Showing all 1 post

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion