@Ane Marinovic Sisaric

Started by Drina Sisarich on Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 18 posts
12/1/2010 at 1:16 PM

I believed that Ane gave herself the surname 'Sisaric' because her family would not let her give their surname 'Marinovic' to an illegitimate child. However reading through her profile today I see that other members of her family including her father are also named Sisaric . Can anyone explain this for me.

Private User
12/2/2010 at 12:48 AM

Drina, as far as I know Sisaric as additional family name came from a nickname 'Sisara' or 'Big breasted women'

2/11/2012 at 9:37 AM

Andrija Marinović Sisarić
I've heard the same story about "big breasted woman" but that would be a rather odd name for Andrija to give himself, wouldn't it?

2/12/2012 at 7:52 PM

Ane Marinović Sisarić Well, it is all a little strange. I prefer to use the word voluptuous,myself.

2/13/2012 at 3:30 AM

I was thinking more to the point that Andija was a man. Perhaps it denoted his taste in women, or perhaps he himself was rather "voluptuous"? :)

Private User
2/13/2012 at 3:40 AM

Alex, it is a custom in our area that children inherit tnickname or a name from their parents. I can give you many examples, but in this case, she was 'rich' in her upper part of the body, and as such called 'Sisara', and her children became 'Sisarici' meaning 'children of 'Sisara'

2/13/2012 at 5:37 AM

That is the same story that i've heard from others including George Sisarich.

Why i asked my question was that Ane's father's profile lists him as Sisaric also ( Andrija Marinović Sisarić.
Assuming that his profile is accurate and his name was indeed Sisaric it would seem very odd for the father to have a surname based upon the daughter's nickname. Andrija is the "original" for the Sisaric name, his mother, father and siblings are all Marinovics.

Private User
2/13/2012 at 12:51 PM

I think you are correct here - but I need to check it before correcting this

Private User
2/13/2012 at 4:00 PM

Has anyone thought that maybe he was given this name because he was breast fed for a long time rather than his mother being big breasted. His mother died as a Marinovic, he was born as a Marinovic, the Sisaric part seems to have been given to him after he was born.
Lynette

Private User
2/13/2012 at 4:11 PM

I will ask Smiljana

9/3/2012 at 8:50 PM

Hi All

My name is Donna Carter, my mother was Katherine Sisaric, my grandfather Domink Sisaric and my great grandfather was Barisa Sisaric. Just wanted to say to some relatives.

Thanks heaps

9/3/2012 at 9:09 PM

Hi Donna,
Assuming that your maiden name is Pellett we are fourth cousins as my ggrandmother was also a Sisarić.
There is already a profile with your name on it (literally) here:
Gerard Michael
which you are welcome to claim if it is indeed a match.
Let me know if you do want to and i can guide you thru the process, you will then have access to wonderful extended family tree that our Croatian cousins have built here on Geni as well as a link into the even larger World Tree that is being created as a joint effort by many Geni users.

9/4/2012 at 2:04 AM

@Ane Marinovic Sisaric Hi All,
Thanks for all the interesting possibilities you have suggested. Hasn't solved anything conclusively but all well worth considering. Sorry to have taken so long to acknowledge these posts but post-earthquake, my computer and I don't always get the chance to spend time together. The rebuilding progress is very slow but we are well.

9/4/2012 at 2:01 PM

Hi Alex

I am trying to get into the link so that I can access all my wonderful family over in Croatia (I hear my grandfather muttering we are not Croatian but Dalmatian) but it keeps telling me my password is incorrect so if you could walk me through it that would be great.

Drina the story that I have always been told was that of the illegimate son.

Thanks heaps all

Kind Regards

Donna

Private User
9/4/2012 at 2:28 PM

Hi Donna,
I have sent you an invite to join my family group - Alex, Drina, you and me - we are all closely related. Alex can help with sorting out the problems you have, and onve connected you can see the rest.

Dalmatians are Croatians from Dalmatia - which is simply coastal part of Croatia. I do understand where your father comes from - firstly, because Dalmatia was ruled by Austrians, Italians etc, second because after WWII people who migrated (especially to New Zealand) wanted to disassociate themselves with Croatia as it was during WWII.

Private User
9/4/2012 at 2:33 PM

Driana
Ane was definitely the one where the nickname Sisaric came from ("voluptuous"). Sisa means "the breast".
I have gone through the books and spoken to my aunt (had it all written down and now cant find it). Her father and the whole family was called Sisaric after her (her father was not born Sisaric)

I think I need to write the timeline of this.

Private User
9/4/2012 at 2:33 PM

Sorry * Drina

9/5/2012 at 2:04 AM

Great idea, Jadra.

Showing all 18 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion