Date of Death correction

Started by Raymond Virzi, Jr. on Friday, December 3, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
12/3/2010 at 10:21 PM

I am using a very old research record obtained from my 87 year old great uncle Loomis. The record goes back to this guy - Joseph Loomis, with matching birth date, wife, and kids, as well as geographic location.

The date of death is stated as Nov. 25, 1658.
The date of death shown here is 33 weeks after birth and must be wrong of course.
Requesting correction by manager.
Thanks
Ray Virzi

Private User
12/4/2010 at 4:10 AM

Ray,

Do you have a citation I can add to the "overview" tab of the profile? I've gone ahead and made the correction since 33 weeks if of course impossible, but it would be nice to put in a source note.

Best regards,
Erica Howton
Geni Curator

12/4/2010 at 1:48 PM

Hi Erica!
The 7 page write-up that I got from my uncle does not have a date or author. It was typeed out on an old mechanical typewriter and looks like something someone did as a request to research the Loomis line. He does not know who did it originally either. Here is the text:
"This JOSEPH LOOMIS was born in 1590, sailed from London, April 11, 1638 in the ship "SUSAN AND ELLEN" and arrived at Boston July 11, 1638. He was located in Windsor, in the Colony of New Haven, Feb. 2, 1640, where he was granted 21 acres of land adjoining Farmington River, on the west side of the Connecticut River.
"He came to Connecticut in company with Rev. Ephraim Huit. He brought five sons and three daughters. He settled near the mouth of Farmington River, on the ISLAND, so called because at each freshet(?) it became temporarily an island. His wife died April 23, 1652, and Joseph died Nov. 25, 1658."
Then it correctly lists all the children and spouses. No need to quote that I suppose.

Private User
12/4/2010 at 8:10 PM

OK, that data is in the brand new, just for you! Master Profile of Joseph Loomis, Sr.

Joseph Loomis, Sr.

I merged up all the duplicate copies and cleaned up the text. Unfortunately the parents still need to be merged up and probably some of the children -- the 109 managers on this profile are welcome to join in and help out with that. :)

Also -- your typewritten script must be from a book that must be in google books or on a website somewhere. Would love to get some reference sources into the profile. Any of the 109 managers willing to help out with that cause, too?

Private User
12/4/2010 at 9:27 PM

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89060930807;q1=Loomis;star...

Hi Erica, Here is a book about Joseph Loomis. My uncle married a descendent of Joseph Loomis. The family married into the Bosworth family who are descendents of John Howland and Elizabeth Tilley of the Mayflower. So my first cousins are descendents of John Howland as are my grandkids. Double cousins. Mary

12/6/2010 at 2:40 PM

Hello,
I have the 1906 revision of the "The Loomis Family in America", from the 1875 original by Elias Loomis, L.L.D., by Elisha S. Loomis, Ph.D. It says this about Joseph Loomis on page 121 of 859.
"Joseph Loomis, Son of John and Agnes Loomis, was probably born before 1590, England: married in Messing , Co, Essex, England, June 30, 1614, Mary White, bap. Aug 24, 1590, d. Aug. 23, 1652."..."He died Nov. 25, 1658."
It then shows the "Abstract of the Disposition of the Estate of Joseph Loomis, Windsor, Connecticut." Found in original records, Vol. 2 page 115-116, and in the printed Digest of Manwaring, Vol. 1 page 135.
I have this book as I am the granddaughter of William Jay Loomis (1912-2007), the direct decedent of Joseph's son Deacon John Loomis (1622-1688). I used this book to create my family tree on both Geni.com (@cindalorrainekennedy) and Ancestry.com and would be happy to provide any additional information anyone would like from this book.

Private User
12/6/2010 at 4:47 PM

Cinda and Mary,

Thank you so much for the source information. I've added them both to the "master profile" for Joseph Loomis: Joseph Loomis, Sr.

Let's all continue to clean up this line! I'll try and do some more merging. Right now I show as 8th cousin and I have the feeling, given my new discovery of ancestors in early Connecticut, that that is not correct.

12/7/2010 at 12:19 PM

Hello again. Your update to the master file needs just 1 more update. The data appeared on page 121 of 859 pages. It is citation #1 of 12,670.
If that is important to your record, it is more accurate.

Private User
12/7/2010 at 6:19 PM

Done. Thank you Cinda!

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion