Inviting profiles to a Project

Started by Private User on Sunday, December 5, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 16 posts
Private User
12/5/2010 at 12:06 AM

I have created a project or two. i'd like to easily "invite" or add a profile to the project, but find an inconsistency of options when clicking on "More Actions." In some cases "Add to Project" is an option, and in other cases, not.

For example, i am searching attendees at The Field of the Cloth of Gold, and would like to add them to the project named the same. I've found a somewhat decent way to find those whose profiles mention The Field of the Cloth of Gold using google syntax.

But when trying to add to the project, unless the profile is already part of my profile, the search engine cannot find the profile. Making me crazy!

please help :)

12/5/2010 at 3:50 AM

Tristram,
regarding projects, you can only add public profiles that you can edit. So if the profile is not public, or managed by someone you do not Collaborate with, then you can't add it.

12/5/2010 at 8:14 AM

You can also try adding profiles and colllaborators from the options menu on the project page.

Private User
12/5/2010 at 3:34 PM

Tristam,

As a curator I've joined your project. If you identify the profile you'd like to see in it in Project Discussions, I can go join it up for you.

Private User
12/5/2010 at 8:09 PM

@Shmuel-Aharon @Erica @Noah

thanks! glad to see the community here is responsive. something missing at ancestry.com

i've two projects I am interested in populating with profiles of those who belong:

1) worthies/knights of devon: a list of notables, squires and similar high-ranking public entities as compiled by JOHN PRINCE A.M. VICAR OF BERRY POMROY, Devon.

2) Field of the Cloth of Gold: those who attended or participated in this historical event. the cool thing is, while there are documents out there that have lists, they are not entirely comprehensive.

such is the case of Sir William Coffyn, who served as Master of the Horse at this event. There are sites that purport to list "attendees" of the event, and do not list Sir William, however there are actual documents found elsewhere that do corroborate evidence of his participation. so it becomes quite an interesting sort of challenge to qualify someone for inclusion in the project.

(another example could be The Coronation of Queen Anne Boleyn)

my thinking is that doing this might stimulate some interesting collaboration and dialog within a project. sharing of resources etc.

i realize that not many folks on here would be entirely motivated to do the research or due diligence in the event they have such a person in their ancestry, but for those who do, i imagine this to be pretty cool.

it'd be really nice to be able to at least invite someone to a project, leaving the option to decline.

i tried to do some initial research here on geni.com, searching for "Field of the Cloth of Gold" with absolutely no results. shame geni.com doesn't support this type of search. so, a tip form another thread suggested using google to search geni.com specifically: site:www.geni.com field of the cloth of gold

worked like a charm.

any suggestions where i might find a co-conspirator to collaborate with me on this?

i'll bake a cake :)

Private User
12/5/2010 at 10:49 PM

Tristam,

Start with a list posted in each overview of the names of people known to participate in the events. Then I can search Geni and add those profiles to the Project.

People will get the news from all my activity and start checking it out for themselves. I don't even know what "Field of Gold" really means and I partly joined up to learn!

Private User
12/5/2010 at 10:53 PM

BTW Tristam, your project remind me of lists of High Sheriffs, which nowadays are not a big deal, but in the period 1200-1400 or so was apparently quite important. I did Projects for High Sheriffs of Cheshire and High Sheriffs of Lancashire when I realized several ancestors held that office. Would be cool to see others of the ancient areas covered.

Private User
12/6/2010 at 2:49 PM

@erica i totally agree

"Field of Gold" is a famous political grandstand between Henry VIII and Francis I of France held about 5 years after their peace treaty was signed. Much pomp and circumstance was on display, including jousting and similar proceedings of one-up-manship.

and thanks for joining indeed!

i've noticed a huge difference between Geni and ancestry.com in that there is collaboration here, where there is little to none there. over there, however, i can get pretty well authenticated pedigree placement. although, there is a rampant pedigree fantasy going on over there that Sir Richard Coffyn (Son of Sir Richard of Battle of Hastings) was once married to Eleanor of Aquitane, once Queen of England, which I cannot authenticate. Perhaps if I had access to international records I might.

Private User
12/6/2010 at 4:20 PM

Do you use the site http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/Search.htm ? The curators who work in medieval times much more than I do consider this by far the most accurate and well sourced site.

Also there are good free British history sites:

http://www.history.ac.uk/digital

Private User
12/6/2010 at 8:00 PM

i do use the second onlooking at the first none, it seems pretty thorough, although pretty focused on kings and similar nobility - thanks for that :)

Private User
12/7/2010 at 3:36 PM

guys, don't know if this is the right place to pose this question, or rather dump this aggravation:

been merging multiple, mostly inaccurate, versions of John and david Coffyn but they keep spawning. now there is almost 40 of them.

how do i 1) prevent in future and 2) fix the problem?

here is a link to a representative culprit:

David Coffyn

I've named the CORRECT profiles as such:

Li'l John Coffyn son of-
MC David Coffyn married to-
Thomasine (Hathey) Coffyn (can't edit this one)

would love some insight on this please. pretty please :)

Private User
12/7/2010 at 4:14 PM

I'm not quite understanding your naming conventions. But there's an easy way -- I'm loading the profiles to the Starbuck / Coffins Project. Once they're there I can make them "Master Profiles." But you'll have to explain to me what "li'l John Coffin" means in one of that projects discussions. :)

Private User
12/18/2010 at 10:35 AM

- Give me the link to the Project and I'll make sure you're added to it.

- Once you're a collaborator on the Project, you can add any profile you have edit rights to it (collaborator or manager).

- If you don't have edit rights, ask a curator through Project Discussions to do it for you.

- No, nothing needs to be wrong with the profile! There are plenty of "display / collection projects." For instance, Original Planters of Virginia.

- Feel free to start projects! I will join anything that's "great migration" oriented. I started a couple of the ship passengers ones I think -- just do a search in Projects.

Private User
12/18/2010 at 11:14 AM

Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy, Vol. Curator, I have added you to the http://www.geni.com/projects/Tuttle-Tothill project, - Francis Dellinger who started this project have just not been online in a couple of days.

Private User
12/18/2010 at 11:28 AM

There are some conditions to be able to add profiles to a project:
1) You have to be a project member
2) You can only add profiles you have edit access to, - your own or collaborators.
3) You can only add public unclaimed profiles

12/18/2010 at 12:00 PM

Actually, you should be able to add any public profile you can edit to any project. You just need to follow the project first to add it to your projects list. Then go to the profile and use project options under the more menu.

If this isn't working, please let me know.

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion