• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
12/6/2010 at 12:37 PM

Hey,

I am decended from Zachariah Ferris from my mothers side and I am writing a report for school (plus I just wanted to know where my family came from) and I was wondering what other info you had on Zachariah Ferris?? Why did he leave England?? Who was he decended from in England?? If you could contact me at xtofur@yahoo.com that would be great thanks.

Chris Rebmann

Private User
12/7/2010 at 9:41 AM

Chris,
Everything I know about Zachariah is on the overview tab of his profile.

Zachariah Ferris, I

I see that you are very new to Geni. It can be a wonderful resources. Since you are doing a school project on this ancestor, if you find out more information about him, let the Geni community know and we will help you to update the family files. You can continue to add information in this discussion or you can contact a profile manager directly from the profile.

I hope that you will learn a lot about your ancestors and that your paper will score a high grade.

Best wishes,
Maria, your friendly volunteer curator

12/7/2010 at 10:08 AM

Thanks

Private User
12/8/2010 at 9:02 AM

Chris,

This is all the information I have so far on Zachariah Ferris, Sr. I'm descended from his eldest son Zachariah Ferris, Jr. Hope this helps.

ZACHERIAH/ZACARIAH FERRIS, b. 1648 England; d. 1710 Stratfield, CT, killed during the expedition to Port Royal, Nova Scotia, when the English captured the fort from the French; m. 11/17/1673 Charlestown, MA SARAH BLOOD, b. 6/6/1648 Lynn/Groton, Essex, MA; d. 6/1/1741 New Milford, CT
“ZACHARIAH FERRIS was made a freeman in Charlestown, MA in the spring of 1674 and was admitted to full communion in the First Church there 1/23/1675-6, and again about 30 years later. By 1705 he had removed to Stratfield, CT where he was admitted to the Church by letter from Charlestown on 9/19/1705. He served in King Philip’s War (1676) and 34 years later, in the Expedition to Port Royal, now Annapolis Royal, in 1710 [see NOTE below].
“ZACHARIAH was not a young man when he made out his will in 1710 and left home to join the expedition, but he went nonetheless. It was during this campaign that he lost his life, his family probably being unaware of that event until the spring of 1711. His will, dated 8/14/1710 and proved 4/16/1711, mentioned his wife SARAH; sons ZACHARIAH and Samuel; daughter Sarah; friends Capt. David Sherman and Benjamin Fairweather, executors and overseers. His widow, SARAH FERRIS, swore to the accuracy of the estate inventory 4/16/1711.
“Deeds prove that ZACHARIAH FERRIS left at least four surviving children, the three named in his will, and also Mary, who in 1722 was the widow of John Sturdevant of Ridgefield, CT. The marriage of John Sturdevant to Mary Jackson on April 28, 1709 is found in Stratfield records. The explanation probably is that Mary Ferris was the widow of one of the Jacksons, as yet unidentified, when she married John Sturdevant.”
A Genealogy of the Ferris Family, by Harriet Scofield, page 1-2

Private User
12/8/2010 at 8:57 PM

Janet, thank you so much for sharing this information. I would like to post it on Zachariah's profile, if you don't mind. You have added bits that I didn't have.

Private User
12/8/2010 at 9:26 PM

Maria,

Sure, go ahead. This is the entry I have in my family tree, and the [see NOTE below] refers to a history of Port Royal that I added, just FYI.

Private User
12/9/2010 at 9:46 AM

Thanks, Janet. I'll try to squeeze it in on my to-do list this weekend between hanging ornaments on the tree and training the new kitty not to "un-hang" them.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion