Uploading GEDCOM Files?

Started by jack morter on Sunday, December 12, 2010

Participants:

Showing all 17 posts
12/12/2010 at 12:42 PM

I have reviewed the Gen site and can not located a procedure to upload GEDCOM files.
My family tree is over 5,000 ancestors. If possible I would prefer not to key in all the data.
Any suggestions?

Thank you

Jack

Private User
12/12/2010 at 12:51 PM

GEDCOM uploads are temporarily disabled. They should return as an option for PRO users at some point. The Geni Blog http://www.geni.com/blog is probably the best place to stay appraised of that sort of news, I believe.

12/12/2010 at 1:26 PM

Thank you. Will wait it out.

Private User
9/8/2011 at 9:49 AM

it was a poor decision to disable the gedcom import option

9/8/2011 at 3:37 PM

I disagree. Gedcom imports was making a big mess with a lot of duplicate profiles, and even several uploads of the same gedcoms, even from different persons. I hope it never will return without a possibility to check the gedcom for people allready in a tree on Geni. And that will probably never be possible, so then I don't want gedcom upload possibility back.

Mauritz
9/8/2011 at 4:07 PM

Please, please please .. never ever another gedcom.

9/9/2011 at 1:51 PM

Still awaiting a decison

Mauritz
9/10/2011 at 7:15 AM

Jack you may want to consider what would happen if you import a 5000 person gedcom. You are likely to have slight variations on the existing tree which will cost you and others an inordinate amount of time to sort out. I'm talking from very painful experience. We have merged hundreds of the gedcom imports over time and there are still problems in the tree after stopping imports what must have been almost 2 years ago now?

You are far better off and I believe will serve our goal of a one Geni tree far more effectively by building your data into the tree and helping to research and fix the tree where your data is different. By helping to understand where it is different and why. Guys like you are important in that you can help validate and fix and make the tree better. I'm willing to bet only a small persentage of your tree is not already somehow on Geni.

Why not build up until you make the links into the canopy of the tree and then rather help to make sure the tree is accurate and correct as per the best information we collaboratively have from there... ?.

Mauritz
9/10/2011 at 7:19 AM

It's easier to fix existing tree than building your own and merging in that way. Remember you don't have to be a manager on any profile any more. With Pro rights you will be able to collaborate on any profile beyond the max family group.

Private User
9/10/2011 at 7:32 AM

Don't I remeber that horrible time. I open my Geni home page in the morning and at one stage had 16 000 merges. It took me weeks and months to work through them, just to find the very next morning 1000's have been added again through the night. I was a nightmare!!!!!!!! Juds

Private User
9/10/2011 at 8:15 AM

i disagree 100% with Mauritz Preller's opinion on the geni's gedcom feature.

Mauritz is missing the point that the issue is not with the gedcom data, but with geni's current inability to sort and manipulate the data. For example, the geni system -should- be encoded to take Mr. Mauritz Preller's gedcom file and assign a unique geni code number to each person.

As i do jewish genealogy, i'm on jewishgen. they have this system. I can upload my gedcom every week or month if i like and nothing will change in regard to existing listings. Their system automatically sorts old and new listings. so only my new entries are actually added to their system.
If geni would encode every entry, then it would not matter how many merges i already have. all of those entries would be ignored.

there is no way that i am going to start a genealogy from scratch and not use gedcom for uploading or updates. Geni is behind the times and needs to get a few decent programmers involved.

9/10/2011 at 9:17 AM

Although I understand what you are saying I'm not sure this would be practcal with Geni as it is different to other Genealogical sites in that the tree is shared. Have you tried looking up your names in Geni (if you are not PRO then you may be best using Google to see which if any turn up in Geni. I think you'll find some of your 5000 already on Geni which means you won't need to enter all your tree.

Mauritz
9/10/2011 at 9:30 AM

James, I'm not completely unfamiliar with data and I'd be keen to understand on what basis you see this automatic matching and merging happening in Geni?. Lets load one line of your gedcom and test it? See if you can find anything to compare? I doubt you can use dates and names. Even more that you can use relationships.

The example that I look at the shows me how difficult it must be for Geni is the tree matches algorithm. Will you trust it to merge your profiles that Geni consider similar?

Having said that, I put nothing past Geni. A technical solution to compare could be possible but I'm not sure current dynamics allow for too much resource to be thrown at this. Again, I may be wrong.

What I do know is that I have helped many people merge into the tree. One example of a +/- 5000 gedcom participant had something like 300 of his profiles to load to complete his tree. It took no more than a few weeks. He has been focusing on all sorts of other projects since.

So consider using Geni just as it is now. You will see immediatre benefits I believe.

Mauritz
9/10/2011 at 9:31 AM

I would also like to offer to help any of you guys if you want...

Private User
9/11/2011 at 12:23 AM

James, I'm not completely unfamiliar with data and I'd be keen to understand on what basis you see this automatic matching and merging happening in Geni?. I doubt you can use dates and names. Even more that you can use relationships. The example that I look at the shows me how difficult it must be for Geni is the tree matches algorithm. Will you trust it to merge your profiles that Geni consider similar?

Mauritz- hello. you don't understand what I am saying and are missing my point. a unique identifier (not gedcom) could easily be attached to each name entry in my account/gedcom. regardless of how many times i upload my name, the system should still be intelligent enough to know that it is already in the system, already merged, etc. Now, there is no need for major programming as other company's systems, such as jewishgen, already do this with gedcom updates. they just don't do merging to the degree that geni does.

You cannot tell me that the system can't attach a code to each entry so that even if i upload my name 50 times it will just check it against its system 50 times. it should automatically see the existing merge pattern and simply ignore my update as a duplicate update of an existing entry.

i am talking about the system sorting between existing entries from me via my gedcom vs new entries from me. we are just talking about better programming for the geni system.

Mauritz
9/11/2011 at 1:07 AM

Good Morning James, If I understand you correctly, what you are asking for may be slightly different to jack? I agree, your scenario seems to me easier to do - if I understand it correctly now, but I could imagine that you would need to first do an export from Geni and use that as your basis outside Geni so as to have a unique identifier to match to in the future when you do a "re-import". What I find difficult conceptualising is how you create these identifiers on a first import to do the matching.

I agree, you have a point and maybe we should ask Geni to consider the possibility of a gedcom 'type' export with unique identifier and building something similar for non 1st time imports? Could I ask you to make a feature request on Zendesk and posting the link here so people could go vote up the importance for your request if they want the same..

Just to get back to jack. What I'm asking him to consider is to not let not being able to do a gedcom import, stand in his way to start building his tree. Using you as an example. From your activity I can see you were pretty much a pioneering user who started in 2009 and added +/- 3000 profiles since 2009. If a new or close family member now joins, they will only need to load a fraction of those to complete their tree's. With jacks' 5000 gedcom entries, I suspect he may find a similar situation and will only need to load a fraction. jack, as noted, im prepared to help.. if you send me your gedcom, i'de be glad to test and see and use this as a test case for others...

2/19/2013 at 2:18 PM

SO NOW YOU REALLY ARE MISSING OUT OF AQUIERING A WHOLE SOUTH AFRICAN TREE AND FIX MISTAKES THAT MAYBE IN YOUR TREES SAD SAD SAD

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion