Where do I find the Info that's hiding from ne?

Started by Marvin Caulk, (C) on Monday, December 13, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 16 posts
12/13/2010 at 5:37 PM

Allen Caulk

Is an example of "hidden info" (I can come up with hundreds more but let's keep it simple)

This file was uploaded from a GEDCOM. Within the GEDCOM was the following info (in the notes)

"!DEATH: CERT FOR WIFE RACHEL, KING CO WASHINGTON. DEATH: CARRIAGE LIST AT ALLEN'S FUNERAL, IN POSS
OF GERALD CAULK. MARR: IGI-M533842/0506; REC FOR ALLEN AND RACHEL, MONTGOMERY CO ILLINOIS. MARR: IGIM533842/
2906; REC FOR ALLEN AND CANSADA, MONTGOMERY CO ILLINOIS. OBIT: FOR SON GEORGE W. CAULK,
MONTGOMERY CO ILL. CEN: 1850 MONTGOMERY IL., FAM # 579-606; ALLAN CORK 20 B IL; RACHEL 19 B IL, MARR
WITHIN THE YEAR. (AGE DOES NOT FULLY AGREE WITH OTHER RECORDS). CEN: 1860 MONTGOMERY CO ILL FAM
#1150 WAR: CIVIL WAR REC FOR ALLEN, CO "D", 7 TH INF REG. ILL VOL. 1861-1864, joining at age 29, on 25 July 1861.
Residence listed as, Litchfield. DEATH: FUNERAL HOME RECORDS, Guy McLAUGHLIN, FAIRFIELD, CLAY, NEBRASKA. IGI
sources for both marriages is; roll #1315684 Old letter states that George's aunt was living with Allen on 20 May 1913. Joseph Sisco, of
Iowa, and Jasper Stokes, of Oklahoma city, were also on the carriage list for Allen's funeral. BIRTH: Correct birth date from fam rec of
Phyllis Caulk LOVE, 1989.
Carriage list for Allen's funeral, included, Joseph Sisco, ofOlewein, Iowa; and Jasper Stokes, of Oklahoma City."

Now I've looked thru the entre profile and can not find it anywhere, overview, Documents, profile etc.

Now here's the thing. If I download a GEDCOM (This is a ver 1 ) of him and his Descendants and import it tru RootsMagic 4, WALLA the info is there.
BUT, if I import it into The software from my heritage it's not there. It's also there in Lineage Family Tree (FTM will not accept ver 1 GEDCOMs)

So I know the info is in the profile somewhere, but where is it hiding at?

And her's another question. When the info is downloaded the sources are missing. Is this aproblem with my software or with my software or because Geni downloads a vers 1 GEDCOM (will an older program pick it up?)

I hate to make a ticket and go to the techs. Some one must have the answer on the top of thier head.

Private User
12/13/2010 at 5:49 PM

Marvin,

The information is not listed as a sources in the profile. As you can see, the original GEDCOM upload may have included source data, but the workaround you did is the way to see it.

Private User
12/13/2010 at 5:51 PM

I haven't tried a ged download with source data lately (because I have it in my computer anyway) but I think my Ged program, Personal Ancestry Writer ll for MAC, does show it as source data.

12/13/2010 at 5:53 PM

The info above was not a source, it is a "note" that is the same as the overview in geni (or I would think)

Private User
12/13/2010 at 5:54 PM

It's an attached "document" actually. I knew what you meant, I've seen them. :)

12/13/2010 at 7:05 PM

In the profile for souces it lists the GEDCOM (this does not download)
under documents it lists The Source that was part of the GEDCOM (they do not download as a Source)

The Note itself (that I can't find in the profile anywhere) is contained within the GEDCOM that's downloaded

12/14/2010 at 10:26 AM

TheseTickets were submitted on the subjects
[#GBI-293592]: Where do I find the Info that's hiding from me?
[#KVF-114994]: Your GEDCOM downloads (vers 1 not 5.5)
[#YXH-369735]: Sources not in GEDCOM

12/15/2010 at 9:37 AM

[#YXH-369735]: Sources not in GEDCOM

Thanks for your email and your feedback. Please note we are planning on adding sources to GEDCOM exports soon.

Thank you for using Geni

12/15/2010 at 10:21 AM

[#KVF-114994]: Your GEDCOM downloads

Thanks for your email. Would you please let us know what programs you are using? Have you tried changing the type to PAF or getting rid of the byte order mark?

Thank you for using Geni
--------------------------
My Answer

Family Tree Maker 2009; Will not load with byte order mark, will load without byte order mark

MyHeritage Family Tree Builder; loads either way. Reports VER 1 GEDCOM 1.0 with byte order mark, Reports Ver 1 GEDCOM 5.5 without byte order mark

RootsMagic 4 Loads either way, No Report

Lineage Family Tree Software Loads either way, No Report

The Master Genealogist v7 Will not load Either way, Reports corrupt file

PAF 5

Please note than when I requested a PAF file it sent me a GED file (tryed several times.) But the GEDCOM imported into PAF 6 just fine

12/15/2010 at 4:25 PM

Thanks for your email. Please note we have forwarded this to our engineers, who are investigating this further. We will contact you as soon as we have an update.

Thank you for using Geni

12/15/2010 at 4:38 PM

[#KVF-114994]: Your GEDCOM downloads

Thanks for the information. We've forwarded this to our engineers and we'll get back to you as soon as we have an update.

Thank you for using Geni,

12/16/2010 at 10:19 AM

Would you please send us the original GEDCOM you imported so that we can take a look at it?

Thank you for using Geni

I sent GEDCOM

8/21/2012 at 1:25 AM

This is not a popularity contest to see who can add "the most" family to their tree. If you are hitting the mark of 1,852 people, (high numbers in general) all I can say is you are doing something very WRONG~!!! You could not be taking the time to "make sure" these people are in your family muchless "blood related." So PLEASE if you are going to do genealogy, this is not FACEBOOK where you try to add as many (friends) PEOPLE as you can. Genealogy, to be accurate, takes alot of TIME and RESEARCH! There is NO WAY you could possibly have a list of names as long as your arm., and be doing it right!

Private User
8/21/2012 at 2:35 AM

Huh?

Private User
8/21/2012 at 3:18 AM

huh? Is the correct reply!

8/22/2012 at 3:17 AM

Xenia Williams

We have trees that have over 100,000 people on it and many more generations than you would think because this is a World Tree that is a combined effort of ALL users on Geni, not just one person. You may only be able to do all small portion of the tree, but with everyone doing a small portion thier efforts are multiplied, and that means you are connected to
63,818,077 as of the current count ( see http://www.geni.com/worldfamilytree)

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion