Context for; "Edit date" (months)?

Started by Oddbjørn Olsen on Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
12/14/2010 at 9:50 AM
Private User
12/14/2010 at 12:44 PM

Geni is hyper-capitalized. I translated them to lower-case because they appear mid-sentence as well.

Private User
12/14/2010 at 4:44 PM

English is much more capital-heavy than other languages. If your language spells months with a lower-case letter, I think these should be written as such.

12/14/2010 at 11:03 PM

Unless they categorically come as the first word in a phrase (hence the context question).

12/14/2010 at 11:24 PM

can we change the order of the separate date fields in the profile editing so it will be YYYY MM DD or MM DD YYYY (or any other option according to local date display setting)?

12/15/2010 at 6:57 AM

Yaacov Glezer - Here you can see some:
http://www.geni.com/tr8n/phrases?section_key=&search=YYYY&p...
with these only separator can be changed.

Here (most of them) you can change also order of {day}, {month} and {year}:
http://www.geni.com/tr8n/phrases?section_key=&search=YYYY&p...
Unfortunately the links to examples/pages (where they are used) are missing.

12/15/2010 at 11:28 AM

Lauri Kreen, Ͼ@
10X
Those I've done already, What I ment was the profile edit screen where you enter the birth date - is shows first month then day and then year (like in USA)
We use the DD-MM-YYYY format, so when I translate the month names its different if its in the beginnig or the middle of the date
we use "24 in June, 2010" (in Hebrew, "in June is one word)
but I cant write "in June 24,2010"

12/15/2010 at 11:36 PM

The full length version of the months referred to here is used when editing a profile. It may be used elsewhere but I found that it e.g. wasn't used on date entry for documents (I haven't done an extensive check).

On the more general matter og capitalization; Does Geni handle the difference when a term passed through a token is the first word in a sentence?

If so, I'd like to check out the upper-/lower case equivalents handling for our 3 local language characters, æøå, uppercase ÆØÅ. There is no math formula (ASCII value + x) handling this for Norwegian and I can imagine the same being the case for other languages.

Private User
12/16/2010 at 5:05 PM

Unicode has case-handling well sorted, certainly for extended Latin character sets. I'm not very familiar with Ruby on Rails (which I think is the language Tr8n is written in), but I think it can handle casing on Unicode strings: (http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveSupport/Multibyte/Chars.ht...)

That being said, I would doubt that the first letter of a token in a sentence would be capitalised programmatically. There are numerous examples of buttons marked "edit", etc., which stay lower-case.

However, the likelihood of the name of a month appearing as the first word in a sentence is very low. "December has been particularly cold this year." doesn't sound like Geni's style. ;) "He was born in December." is much more likely.

The list of phrases you gave, Oddbjørn, appear to be used only in the drop-down lists. In which case, I would use lower-case month names (if this applies to your language) as the word in isolation doesn't need sentence-capitalisation.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion