Historically incorrect

Started by Private User on Thursday, December 16, 2010

Participants:

Showing all 5 posts
Private User
12/16/2010 at 2:29 PM

http://www.geni.com/people/Ren%C3%A9-Cloutier/6000000004076289372

Curators.. please remove the current Canadian flag as a profile picture from this person and ALL people born prior to 1965. It was adopted as my country's flag in 1965.

The Canadian Red Ensign had been unofficially used since the 1890s and was approved by a 1945 Order-in-Council for use "wherever place or occasion may make it desirable to fly a distinctive Canadian flag".

Note the dates.. It is historically incorrect and sloppy research to attach a Canadian flag to anyone who lived in the 1700s.

I cannot remove the link.

Merci
DL

Private User
12/16/2010 at 2:46 PM

Unfortunately we don't have the ability to remove images: they are in the album of the manager who uploaded it - you can see that link to him on the "media" tab for a message to him.

We "do" have the ability to reshuffle uploaded images.

You show as the primary manager. Can you upload a more appropriate image, try setting it as the "profile" default, and let me know if that works?

Also, we have a "Provenance and images" Project going for just such issues as this, maybe we can use that project to get a range of profiles "tagged" correctly at one shot.

But we would need organizational help to get that done so -- calling for volunteers. :)

http://www.geni.com/projects/Provenance-and-Images

12/16/2010 at 3:08 PM

Private User
These pictures were uploaded by
Jeffrey Smithers
Send him a message with your request..

Private User
12/16/2010 at 3:18 PM

Erica

I will try and do that. I tried to axe the image.. couldn't do that.

Angus..I will also try that.

Private User
12/16/2010 at 3:23 PM

What I was thinking too is that if there are *many* profiles inaccurately bearing the flag, we can try and "tag" all of them with the better / more historically accurate image all at once.

Can be done, just needs for the profiles to be identified.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion